Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

I am a current parent at MFIS. All schools have good points and bad points - nothing is perfect! All in all my child is getting an excellent education. Yes I have frustrations as everyone does, but I wouldn't be sending my child to a school in a different county if it wasn't an excellent school! I love the diversity & love that she is learning that French is a global language, not just a language spoken in France & Canada. Overall I am very happy I made the decision to send her to MFIS!

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I do think we could do better to stop bullying

We have been active parents with MFIS for over 15 years with 3 graduates of the program, 1 child currently enrolled, and 1 enrolling next year in 4K. With great diverse families that are committed to the immersion process, along with dedicated staff members this is a program I will continue to praise and recommend to new families. Très Bien MFIS

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

Not available any longer. New administration has taken away all special needs programs, limiting to 30 minutes max daily for time outs. Troubled and special needs children are weeded out in the beginning grades.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

No. They lass any decent communication skills and change policy and staff often. There are also teachers at the school who teach NO french!

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Fast pacing between subjects, shortened recess now make this impossible.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

N/A Teachers are new and class sizes are huge.

I previously rated this school 18 months previous. I HAD to change it due to serious changes in the school. New administrators have taken over, the principal retired, so please be wary of any reviews before 2016- they are no longer relevant. Much has changed, the communication between staff and parents is poor. The administration changes rules without discussion with parents or faculty. Most of the teachers left in a mass exodus at the end of 2015. most of the teacher are brand new and have never taught before. The immersion experience is language only, no French culture is taught. African culture has replaces it, including mandatory African dance. Special needs children are weeded out of the school early, if your child has autism, you can expect that they will not be allowed to attend the Halloween costume party. Children must be able to take care of themselves, both physically as well as academically, because there is no longer support systems in place for kids who might not be high academic achievers. The PTA and the principal are always fighting for how to use funds raised by the PTA. New healthy eating initiatives mean that the VP went classroom to classroom, taking childrens candy from them yesterday on Halloween. Yet, the same school provides sugary breakfast cereals every day. There is no getting in touch with the admin, the school board or even the Superintendent. Other issues to know- HUGE class sizes! Violent children are only allowed to be out of the classroom for a total of 30 minutes a day, whether or not they need more one on one time- it's not available! So you have abusive children hitting teachers and students often, if not daily. 4 year old children have been lost in the school, and the VP did not think it important enough to follow lockdown procedure. Be warned, this is NOT the old French Immersion School- see the French Immersion parents group facebook page for a reality check. Unless things change rapidly for the better, this school will not be around much longer, with the extreme mismanagement by the new Administrator and Vice Administrator.

I'm very pleased with my family's experience at the Milwaukee French Immersion School (MFIS). The teachers are caring and have high standards. The administration is committed to building the resources of the school so that every child can succeed there. I am one of many alumni of MFIS that is sending our children there, too. Although I do speak French, the default assumption is that parents don't speak French, so the school and teachers have a system for ensuring that parents are engaged. Even though my family doesn't live in the City of Milwaukee, I didn't even consider sending my kids to a suburban school. In order to succeed in the world they will grow into, they need to learn early the empathy and other skills required to work together with a variety of different peers.

I am a parent of a new K4 student at the Milwaukee French Immersion School. The materials, toys and books are of good quality and the students seem to get personal attention when needed. My kid learned all of the colors, shapes, days of the week, greetings, common requests and can count past 20 in French before winter break. They bring home new songs and projects regularly. The teachers don't assume that parents/families have any French background at all, so homework and other communications are either in English or provided with support materials. The teachers and principal are constantly looking for new ways to support students more effectively. Although the class size is on the large side, there is a teacher and paraprofessional assigned to the classroom. Plus, I'm an alum of this school myself! I completed 5th grade in 1990. Being bilingual in French has improved my language and grammar skills infinitely, and I have found it much easier to learn new languages. I highly recommend MFIS!

Last modified Milwaukee French Immersion School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.