9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted February 28, 2016
I graduated from St. Joan Antida in 2015. Academics: Poor education. Although Mr. Gessner brought in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, the academics are still poor. SJA did not prepare me adequately for my freshman year of college. My peers seem way ahead of me, and I graduated in the top of my class at SJA. Overall, NOT an education worth paying for. You can get the same or better education at an MPS high school. SJA is just not rigorous. Ultimately, academics suffer because the school lacks money. Students: St. Joan's loves to call themselves diverse. I'm not so sure that I'd think of them as that. Diverse would suggest that there are lots of girls from different nationalities or religions at SJA. Most girls are Hispanic, some are African-American. There were usually a few Muslim girls too. Girls of other nationalities are few and far between (refer to demographics to see yourself). My nationality, Puerto Rican, was well represented at SJA - but is it really diverse? Virtually no Asians, white people, Native Americans, etc. Christianity and some Islam are the only major religions represented. That's all good - but why use diverse as your selling point? Fighting is common at SJA. Administration did handle it better in my last few years, but still didn't find a way to reduce it. Lots of distraction and unmotivated kids. Teachers: This school is non-unionized. That should tell you a little bit about the kind of teachers it attracts. Way too many part-time teachers. There are a few gems in the school, like Ms. Rios and Mr. Borgstrom - but a lot of teachers lack experience and motivation. Lots of busy work. Most teachers at SJA are disorganized, and distracted at work. Grades were always put in late (looking at you, English department). I would say the teachers are one of the biggest problems here. Mr. Gessner (the principal) is very awkward. Not very good at PR, or talking in general. There is an air of insincerity around everything he says. He did bring in the IB program, which is good- and I believe he genuinely cares about the school. Sister Jennifer, a guidance counselor, was not very approachable and aloof. Clubs/Sports: Almost none. Here, underfunding hurts the students again. There are maybe three sports every year, and a few clubs available. All in all, SJA is a typical inner city school, but with 1/4 of the money and resources.

Posted August 16, 2015
Saint Joan antida is the worst school you can ever send your daughter. The teachers do not care about your child's education they don't try to help you with homework there always "busy" in a meeting. I would never recommend sending any student to SJA it's basically a jail. The lunch provided is horrible. The English teachers dont give you the time of day and always enter grades late. There's no reason for teachers at SJA to enter grades late since the school is so small. Your child will never get the high school experience ever child wants to experience by attending SJA. They have no sports, they promise you the world when you come in and you walk out with nothing. I didn't learn anything new at this school it's all 7th grade work they call themselves an IB school but it's absolutely horrible and disgusting they have huge bugs the bathrooms are never clean. Might as well be a public school.

Posted April 07, 2015
One of the worst schools I have ever attended in my life. Completely ruined my high school experience certain students where treated bbetter then others and given more choices then others school was full of bugs any kind of bugs you can think of they were there. The school was falling apart on top of students terrible school would not recommend you sending your daughter here

Posted February 20, 2014
St. Joan Antida High School has made a complete turn-around and is truly empowering young women to take the world by storm. There is a new International Baccalaureate Curriculum. Art and Music have been restored to the curriculum. There is a complete compliment on Engineering classes. Students who graduate from St. Joan Antida High School and get in to MSOE are accepted for the cost of the high school tuition. This is more than $25,000 off of MSOE's tuition. The school has corrected its attendance and discipline problems and students who are disorderly are dealt with in a swift and appropriate manner. Teachers are supported to take risks and students are pushed to work beyond what they believe they can do. A new academic intervention program has also been put into place that is designed to bring students to math proficiency in four years. Last year 20 girls went from being 4th and 5th grade math proficient to being ready for Algebra in this program. SJA is in a rebirth and it is exciting to be part of this transformation. Come see us for yourself!!! Call us at 414-272-8423 to schedule a tour! I know our admissions people would love to take your call!

St. Joan Antida High School 4

Posted August 04, 2013
It's a good school but there are.....distractions. Some of the girls are very rough around the edges but as long as you stick with the right crowd you'll be fine. My junior year I transferred to another school and I hated it, after that I realized how much I actually appreciate this school. The uniforms are sort of expensive and they don't really accommodate the school bus for every student in the afternoon. At this school I can focus on my academics and excel .

Posted September 23, 2012
SJA is the premier Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Engineering focused all-female High School in Milwaukee. SJA is also starting the process to become an International Baccalaureate accredited high school (IB). SJA will offer the IB Career Certificate in Engineering and currently offers college credits for student in the 11th and 12th grades.

Posted October 27, 2011
I had an outstanding high school experience at this school. Allowed me to focus on STEM classes.

Posted August 21, 2011
The worst school you could ever send your child to. I was a freshman there in the 2010-2011 school year, and it was the worst school experience ever. The kids were always misbehaving and the teachers barely did anything about it. There was bad language, smoking, rule breaking, fights all the time, disrespect, condoms filled with lotion, spilled baby oil on the stair case, food fights. It was truly the worst. I had one teacher who always had a attitude with students, and was really careless with her teaching. The lunches are terrible, but edible. Barely strict dress code. Low academic standards. If you went to a private grade school before, this is a step down in academics. It's so low I barely learned anything new. And let me tell you it was dirty in that school! it's like they never clean. They let anyone in that school. Mostly Free Choice kids. I wouldn't recommend enrolling your daughter there ever.

Posted June 07, 2009
Wonderful place to have your daughter experience high school. I am very happy with everything my daughter got out of SJA.

Posted July 27, 2008
i love love love this school. Coming to sja is the best choice i could've ever made. I've made so many different kind of friends, it's amazing. I would never leave it's just so comfortable and you can wear any color polo and any black bottoms it's not that much of a dress code! this is asia stone by the way!! class of 2010!!!

1341 N Cass St, Milwaukee, WI  53202
Last modified St. Joan Antida High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.