PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I am currently looking for a new school for my child because of the negative atmosphere at MGC. It's been more and more evident that there is a breakdown in concern for the students and many of the administrators are clueless to what is going on around them. Everything from billing to school events have become an unorganized mess. I was recommended this school years ago, but I must say I'm regretting choosing this school for my child.

I actually wrote the review dated May 18, 2013. My opinions of MGC have definitely changed. The school isn't diverse anymore and thats not the major issue but the lack of cultural competency and teacher diversity definitely is. My son is now in the 2nd grade and now our youngest attends as well. I've noticed that MGC is all about the money, they'll over charge or double charge for things and won't bother to give you a bill until its well over $500 and demand full payment or your children can't attend anymore. After school is a joke so we stopped utilizing it. Classes are becoming over crowded; there used to be no more that 12 or so kids in each class now its beyond common to see 20+ kids in each class! The kids spent the majority of the year so far recapping things from 1st grade and I suspect thats because they are now allowing kids to start mid year. Im also noticing that if your child starts in k3 they are well prepared for more advanced work but when they're accepted later than k5 they aren't ready and the other students suffer due to the slowing of instruction and larger class sizes. The events used to be great fun with a cause tied to it like a food drive but now you have to pay to do just about anything. I will say with the influx of new kids starting in later grades bullying has become an issue and some fights occurred, that never happened before. MGC needs to go back to how it was. I'm actually on Great Schools researching other schools for my children to attend. I remember the process to even be accepted into the k3 program was so strict and now you can literately walk into the school and be admitted with no fact checking. I don't think I can allow my children to go all the way to 8th grade just based on how I used to feel about the school. I want them to be well prepared for high school and the way MGC is going I can't guarantee this by the time my children get to that level.

I'm a student at this school and i've been going at this school since K4. At first it was great but each year it has been going downhill and all the good teachers have left. There is only a handful of teachers that care for your wellbeing and for the rest of the teachers try to break your spirit like it's some kind of game. The school shows strong signs of racism and sexism.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The good teachers build you up but the bad teachers teach you that there are people that your going to meet that you'd much rather avoid.

MGC is beyond over rated. My children went here for 3 years and it progressively become worse each year. There was a child assulted one year after she talked to by the principle for being told she was a bully, obviously she wasnt and was attacked durning school!. The school is CONSTANTLY asking for money with everything they do even when they make a heck of alot off of thethe parents donations and the sports games held there with door fees and conssesions and also the almost $5k a year it costs per child to go there. They dont even have Air conditioning for gosh sake.

This is an AMAZING school. My son is in the k3 class and he has definitely excelled in all areas. Fall 2013 will be his second year at MGC (k4) and Im confident that he will be well prepared for higher grades; He has already started To read and began adding a few weeks ago. They are very diverse, classrooms vary in racial background, gender and socioeconomic status. You will not find a better school. The principal and staff are awesome to say the least and go out of their way to know every single parent including the ones of students not in their classroom. The holiday functions e.g.. halloween, Christmas, Easter and the Auctions are must attend events. My son is treated with love and kindness he frequently speaks of everyone there. Needless to say we LOVE this school and when our youngest son gets old enough he will definitely attend MGC.

MGC is a school that does not take pride in nurturing of their children. My child who has attended there for k4 & k5 did not receive the kind, nurturing care you would expect, especially in her grade level. Her K4 & k5 teacher was satisfactory but had a mean demeanor that the children were visably afraid of. They were welcoming in the beginning then I notice how that quickly went away as the school years went on. I also began to notice my child mimic some mean words that could only been said to her by her teacher as well as to other students during reading time. It was very disturbing to witness my child, her being the only child, display such hurtful words that her teacher must obviously say to them. Another concern would be favortism which is also very noticeable. Certain students are pre-chosen to participate in school activities such as plays, school events, etc because they were parishors or non choice program students. There is definantly issues with the school as a whole and would not recommend families that participate in the choice program to seek MGC. Its not fair to the children nor parents who seek quality education!!

I can not begin to say enough about MGC. My son has grown so much in the 2 years he has been attending MGC. The teachers are great, the principal is great, support staff is incredible, and everyone seems to know you and your child by name which is a really good feeling. The academics are top notch.Visit MGC today and please check out the parish as well. The more involved you are, the better your child will do!

it is a supportive, caring, and nurturing environment, which has provided a place to learn and grow for two of my grandchildren...

Im a student at mgc and and I have been going there for 8 years. Im so glad that my mom put me in this catholic school. I love all my classmates, But some of the teachers I dont like. One of the teacher says that reading is like language but she talks just like a kid example, 'I ant gotta take this, its just bull.' I dont think a teacher has to talk that way to students. But I do like that everyone is friendly and nice. I like how we can all come together and have a fun day at school, with merit activites, buddies, game days, extra resess. When it rains a homeroom get to go to the gym which is the really fun. I like how we have family lunch but I do miss Hot dog day with free dress. But im going to miss mgc.

Last modified Mother of Good Counsel School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8