Milwaukee, WI
Before care: Yes

Posted December 11, 2014
We sent both of our children to MMS for 12 and 13 years and would never do anything differently. Sure, there are some people who did not have experiences to their liking, but there are thousands of folks who have been super happy with the beauty, the order, and the manner in which their children are and have been educated and treated! Why should a few bitter people try to deprive other children of the incredible opportunities at MMS? I would advise readers to take this review seriously, and not the reviews of people who are obviously vengeful. MMS is a school that employs culturally diverse, loving, and well educated faculty. It is a school that provides a peaceful, predictable, and joyful environment for very high achieving students. This is the review to take to heart potential parents! Avoid the words of the haters!

Posted November 14, 2014
Two our our children have graduated from MMS and one is about to. That said, we are starting all over again with our four year old. MMS was an easy choice for a variety of reasons, but most importantly because our children have grown up to be independent thinkers, as well as confidant and engaged learners. My senior in high school is getting several scholarship offers, as are his MMS peers, and I continue to be impressed with just how polite and engaged these young adults are. My son who is in his first year of children's house is already learning to become more independent and curious and I find myself, once again, impressed with the rigor of the education here.

Posted November 07, 2014
Our son is in the middle of his third year at Milwaukee Montessori School, and he is thriving. The thoughtful structure of the school, partnered with the school's art, music and athletic programs, provide the appropriate balance of structure and freedom for our active 6 year old. MMS teachers help him excel academically without him ever feeling pushed. Along with keen intellectual training, MMS develops good citizens - people that care about each other - engaging in community service, environmental stewardship and study of their global community. We are so happy to be part of this thriving school community.

Milwaukee Montessori School 1

Posted October 04, 2014
You will not have to worry about bullying or gossiping among the students at MMS, the teachers and administrative staff have that covered, they're the best at it. There are far better private and public schools that believe in developing healthy, confident and self- sufficient kids. This is a business NOT a school. Please take all of the negative comments seriously, your child's self-esteem is too precious to take a risk of hopefully "flying under the radar". That was a direct quote from a parent who's child wasn't singled out and embarrassed by the Jr. High teacher (we all know the teacher that I'm speaking about).

Milwaukee Montessori School 2

Posted September 03, 2014
My child attended MMS starting with the toddler program through the pre-K years. When we enrolled our child we expressed concern that our child's previous care provider had high staff turnover. We were told there was little staff turnover at MMS. However, in our child's first year there were two caregivers let go - with no prior notice to parents - and replaced with new faces. This trend continued through the next phase of the toddler program, Stepping Stones. Overall, the care in First Steps was very good but the quality of care declined when our child reached Stepping Stones. Upon reaching the pre-K grades, we found the quality of the morning Montessori classroom instruction to be good. However, the afternoon caregivers - not Montessori-trained, which is not as we expected given the high tuition cost - were generally lacking. Feedback to administration was met with charges that our child -a toddler - needed to show more "impulse control." Beyond that were unmet promises that our feedback would be presented to the caregivers and a plan of action put in place. We saw no changes. The administration seems more concerned with running a business than with running a school.
4 people found this helpful

Milwaukee Montessori School 3

Posted August 12, 2014
We had both positive and negative experiences at MMS. The positive: academic achievement is high and the strong technology focus gives kids an advantage in today's world. The negative: the school staff and administration are on average extremely unfriendly, inflexible rule followers to the point of never accommodating kids and parents and never using any common sense or independent judgment to fit different situations. Also, the school is constantly fund raising despite high tuition prices and other costs of attendance, and they seem to assume that every family has a limitless budget. Finally, there is sometimes an odd disconnect on the part of the teachers and administration. This last is more difficult to explain, and was more of a feeling we'd get when interacting with them, as if they were not always responding to or hearing what we were saying in conversations. The biggest problem is that the school seems to have little ability to teach kids who are not naturally high achievers and who are not as inclined to be self motivated. Overall the school is good, but I think it only works for one type of student.
7 people found this helpful

Posted July 09, 2014
When I first came to the Montessori system in first grade, I was way behind my peers in every core subject. However within a couple months I had caught up and even surpassed many in my grade. The key to Montessori and what has been firmly instilled in me is an unwavering love for learning. This concept is so foreign to students not in a Montessori environment that it shocks others when I talk about wanting to come to school every day. Milwaukee Montessori School created that desire to learn new core subjects and encouraged me to explore other fields of study. From exposure to drumming and photo developing, the school never ceased to provide me a new adventure daily. The teachers at MMS were never satisfied with simply presenting new material, but insisted on challenging me to have mastery before moving on. I continue to see other schools fine with a student taking a test and regardless of there outcome move on with new lessons. My Montessori experience at MMS will always be something I will be proud to share and encourage others to partake in. I am blessed that my parents placed me an environment where I could reach a potential I might not otherwise have achieved.

Posted April 22, 2014
I have one child that has attended MMS for two years and we are so proud of all his accomplishments. He is very energetic and social. He gets excited to go to school and cheers when he arrives. He loves his teacher and can't stop talking about all the new things he is learning. jAfter one week there he initiated housework and often wants to do everything independently. If he was at public school I think he would be bored either waiting for all the discipline problems to be eliminated. I have done therapy for seventeen years with MPS students due to severe behavioral problems. Kids at MPS say they have to be bad otherwise they will get beat up and bullied. The kids say they focus on survival and there is no room for learning. The teenagers I worked with barely could read. My five year old can read quite well. I have always had pleasant and respectful interactions with everyone I have encountered especially the administration. I have always been heard and gotten response within the day. We are proud of our school and the community within it.

Milwaukee Montessori School 1

Posted April 02, 2014
My son was shamed and made to feel that he was unwelcome. He was diagnosed with ADHD after leaving this school and is now in therapy and taking the appropriate medications to thrive in another school. The administration and teachers were asked many times if they thought that his inability to sit still and pay attention were due to ADHD and they adamantly claimed that he was doing it on purpose because of my poor parenting skills. I read recommended parenting books and went to love and logic seminars only to have his contract terminated by email. He now is being treated not only for ADHD but also for poor self esteem that can be attributed to his experience at MMS. For the amount if money spent on tuition, I would expect the staff to be able to recognize something as common as ADHD. Despicable.
8 people found this helpful

Posted March 27, 2014
We have 3 kids at MMS & never intended to be here longer than "preschool" with our 1st child. We've invested 11+ years here and cannot speak highly enough about the diverse faculty, strong Administration and amazing "child-centered" community. As parents we've learned from the teachers - these kids are all capable of MORE than even WE think! They foster that independence here. While we have friends/peers who have left at various ages, those transitions are natural. MMS is not a universal fit (sometimes child/sometimes parent). Hopefully parents researching schools do their own investigating and not base their choices on the unfortunate experiences of disgruntled folks. While it's disappointing that not everyone has had the outstanding experience that our family continues to have, MMS makes leaders, thinkers, compassionate achievers out of those committed. While I may not agree w/ all Admin choices - I believe that as professionals that THEY KNOW BEST of what they are doing in this educational setting (not parents). That is why we CHOOSE to pay to send them to this private school. It's UNIQUE and like none other, and therefore - not for everyone. PROUD PARENT!
2 people found this helpful

Milwaukee Montessori School
345 N 95th St, Milwaukee, WI  53226
Last modified Milwaukee Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Milwaukee Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 86 reviews. Top