St. Marcus Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 700 students

We are best known for our Christ-centered program.

Living in Milwaukee

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $87,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Sweep tile

Posted March 18, 2014

I love love love St. Marcus school! They have become family to us. You won't get lost in this school. Meaning they will help your family in anyway that help! I have a special needs child that does not have a IEP. From first to fourth grades each teacher has pulled him in closer. When orthes schools have send him home. Love is a action here! Teachers are here 6:30am to 6:00pm. The St. Marcus staff can be reached any 24 hours by cell,email or texts. This school year I have heard and seen many new students. Didn't know Jesus before coming to St. Marcus school. I love to hear my children sing tha latest Jesus song they learned. Jesus needs to be in our home and everywhere you are. The work really hard here but, when time to have fun they go for it. My children just enjoy comic to here. St. Marcus is a blessing to our family and we now are a stronger family! No Excuses at M-house! We call it a Great school because it's life changing! Please I welcome you to come plan a visit.

Posted January 17, 2014

My school is St. Marcus. My child started in k4. He is now in 5th grade. He is reading on a 9th grade reading level by state standards. He had a 3.6 on his last report card because of that he gets to wear a tie that distinguishes his gpa. He wants to attend Princeton University, in Trenton New Jersey. He asked us to help him get there. Wow..he has a plan in 5th grade. I know he may change his mind on which college to attend but the fact he has a plan makes him strive not to be a statistic. I love the drive of leadership in the school. When I'm not sure about an assignment he is given I go straight to the teacher for help. His teacher Mr. Steilow is available before I start working at 6:30a.m. I love that! My best advice for a parent considering this school is get in line early to fill out the application on Feb. 1st.

Posted January 16, 2014

St Marcus goes above and beyond. My girls started attending this school in the Fall 2013, they came to this school with exceptional grades. You may wonder why I selected this school , its because I believed they needed more both spiritually and educationally. The St Marcus staff, pastor's and teachers have not let me down. I am so thankful that God placed us with like minds. It is a caring, school that is not willing to let students fail.

Posted January 14, 2014

My 5 children went to St. Marcus Lutheran for 4 years and it was such a blessing! We moved to Mississippi this year around Christmas and when they were enrolled into the new school they tested and they could hardly believe how prepared they really were. I am so grateful for Christian values, the compassion, the communication, the home visits, the check-ins, and character building that the teachers and staff imparted into my children. It will never be forgotten. I continue to refer children there even to this day.

Posted December 18, 2013

My daughter has been at St. Marcus for 8 years and she will be graduating soon. She placed very well on her high school placement tests and also on her standardized tests. She has been well prepared for high school. I also love that she feels morally accountable for her actions and she's not just living for the moment like the media and music is telling our children nowadays. I feel like St Marcus played a huge roll in this along with her up bringing. I love the staff. They have great attitudes and bug hearts. The communication is awesome! Home visits are done every school year to meet/greet your new teachers. They prayed with us. I am very sad to leave St Marcus! I wish they had a high school.

Posted November 16, 2013

St Marcus is beyond amazing! My son is in his second year at St Marcus and already they have exceeded my expectations. The staff creates a wonderful atmosphere not only for the students but us parents as well. This was by far one of the best decisions I could have ever made for my son and his further! I highly recommend this school to any and everyone that takes they're child(ren) education and future seriously! They instill the importance of an education while incorporating the word of GOD what more could you ask for!

Posted October 10, 2013

My school is one of the bet schools in Milwaukee. It teaches you more beyond education. It will help you in adult life and the real world.

Posted May 3, 2013

This school went far beyond what I expected it to be. The teachers are so awesome and loving. My kids love their school! I never worry about my kids when I take them to school because St. Marcus takes good care of them. My kids have been there 5 years and not one time have I consider taking them out of there school due to conflict or anything. The students are required to work hard and it truly pays off. My son is in the third gird and he does some of the same work I work on in my college math. My 5 year old left k4 knowing how to read really well. The one thing they believe is there's no excuse! The world doesn't take excuses and neither do they... I love that they don't just teach the kids but they also bring Jesus into their lives and show them his love through their love. I don't think any school could top this one!

Posted April 29, 2013

AMAZING! Christ centered and college prep geared, St. Marcus works wonders for children! They offer Power Hour so students can get homework done. Tirelessly the staff works together with each other and with parents to meet the needs of students. Their Reading and Math programs keep parents posted with e-mail updates on how the student did on that weeks objective. That is beyond the daily planner which a parent needs to sign nightly after homework is done. St. Marcus is dedicated to serving Milwaukee!

Posted December 7, 2012

i graduated from this school last year so i know how great they are to help every child that is there

Posted December 24, 2011

This school is a beacon of light within an otherwise darkened community. I am sure it is the best school not only in the city, but in the entire state. I wish that I had gone to a school like this as a child because I am certain that I would have had a much better education and positive outlook on life.

Posted May 12, 2011

This is my children's first year at St. Marcus. My second grader was reading at an early kindergarten level when she first started. Now she is reading at an early second grade level. She receives extra tutoring during the school day and after school. My 7th grader was reading at a late first grade level when he started St. marcus in the middle of the school year. Now he is reading at a third grade level. He too receives extra tutoring services. st. marcus has been a Godsend for my family and I would have left Wisconsin already if it had not been for St. Marcus.

Posted October 12, 2010

They do a remarkable job in enhancing the skills of their students so that they can succeed and even excel. Their graduation rate in the last 4 or 5 years is 100%.

Posted April 14, 2010

This school is AWESOME! The word of God included in daily learning. My children are advanced in EVERY subject. This school is family!!!

Posted January 26, 2010

Awesome school! Loving, kind, supportive administration and staff. They really have a vision for teaching kids and they live it out!

Posted December 18, 2009

St. Marcus school is wonderful! My children are advanced in reading and mathematics. The love and dedication of staff is so genuine that you can't help to feel positive when you walk in the door.

Posted January 29, 2008

I love St. Marcus. This school has made a major diffrence in my childrens lives. My oldest daughter often comments on the diffrence that Mr. Hoff her 8th grade teacher made with her success in her learning Algerbra and how much eaiser it is for her in high school. Big Ups. [to] the St. Marcus Staff. St. Marcus is also helping my son become a strong person, able to accept correction and move on with thanks to Mr. Tyson, Mr. Festerling and Mrs. Young who has work very hard with him these past two years. Thank you so much and I love you.

Posted January 22, 2006

Disciplined, College Prep, and Very Loving. St Marcus offers parents a wonderful choice in education. When you enter the school, you can hear a pin drop; parents are always welcome to observe. Reading starts in K4; my little boy gets attention and a daily commitment from his teacher and her assistants. My son's love for his Lord has grown immensely as well as his appreciation for all cultures. My daughter is in 2nd grade and is excelling in a structured classroom that challenges her daily! All students are welcomed in to school and are given their good-bye greetings as well. Simply the best there is to offer!!! I feel safe for my children and proud to be a parent of St Marcus.

Posted January 3, 2006

This is an excellent school. You know this the second that you walk into the doors. When you have students that want go to school on a daily and ready to learn you get great love for that type of enviorment. I am so grateful that I was given a choice. I feel that having a chance to choose a school for my daughter has made a tremendous difference in her life, and mine! This school also has teachers that are the most dedicated than anyone on any job that I've ever seen. Go and check it out. You can go during school, or beleive me when I say this on any school day, you will catch a teacher or 2 there around 9-10pm. For-sure. They even have school on Sat. which is optional! Don't take my word on this go and see for yourself! St. Marcus is MY CHOICE! You can make it yours TOO!

Posted August 24, 2004

Mature, complete and genuine love has built this school into a model of what America should be. The adults (faculty, staff and volunteers) require respect and give it to the students as well. Proper English is the required language. Effort and strength of character are praised and rewarded at every opportunity. The academics at St. Marcus are more challenging than anywhere else in the city, and our children are not only succeeding: they are asking for more. Jesus Christ is King at St. Marcus. Family is all-important. Children are cherished. We are embracing the future and preparing our children for it.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Wisconsin used the Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS), which includes the WKCE and WAA, to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in math and reading, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in language arts, science and social studies. The WSAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wisconsin. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level. In private schools, only voucher program participants are tested.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 33% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 36% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 38% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 42% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

All Students29%

All Students19%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group. Subgroup scores for each school are only reported for students who were enrolled as of the fall enrollment count. The All students score includes results for all students who took the test, regardless of when they first enrolled in the school.

All Students82%

All Students22%

All Students55%

All Students68%

Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

For private schools, the GreatSchools academic rating is based on test scores and student growth measures from students participating in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program and is not necessarily reflective of performance for all students at a private school. GreatSchools is working with state education officials in the hopes of presenting a more comprehensive picture of student performance at private schools in the future. In the meantime, we encourage reaching out to private schools of interest about specific testing information.

What makes up this rating?

Academic rating
7 / 10
Climate rating
9 / 10

This school's GreatSchools Rating is based on academics (90%) and climate (10%). The academic rating measures students' test scores, academic growth and college readiness. The climate rating measures safety, cleanliness, parent involvement and more.

Learn more about our methodology

What is the new GreatSchools Rating?

Rating legend
Below
average
Above
average

Our rating (from 1 to 10) reflects a school's overall performance. The higher the rating, the more likely the school will prepare your child for the future, so choose an above-average school (8-10) if possible. For average schools (4-7), do careful research and look for evidence that the school has high-quality programs. For below-average schools (1-3), take caution; a low-performing school may not provide the instruction or environment your child needs to learn, and you may need to supplement classroom lessons at home.

Academic rating

The academic rating is made up of equally-weighted parts: students' test scores, their academic growth (for elementary and middle schools) and their readiness for college (for high schools). The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city and state.
Overall academic rating

Test score rating 2013*
City
Learn more about this school's test scores »

Student growth rating 2013**
City
Math growth
Above average
Reading growth

*Test scores are based on the 2013 WSAS results from the state of Wisconsin.

**The academic growth rating measures how schools affect student test score improvement over time in reading and math. This data is from 2013 and is provided by the Value-Added Research Center and Milwaukee Public Schools.

Climate ratings

This rating encompasses five elements of school climate: safety and cleanliness, respect and relationships, expectations for students, teacher collaboration and support, and parent involvement. This school's climate ratings are the result of GreatSchools' analysis of teacher survey data from the Spring 2013 School Climate Survey developed by Milwaukee Public Schools.

We rated schools on …

Keeping things safe, clean, and orderly.

This rating evaluates a school's environment, based on its safety, order, cleanliness and more. More highly rated schools have well-kept facilities and a safe environment conducive to learning. Schools rated poorly may have a chaotic environment, conflicts among students or even theft or violence.

Creating healthy, respectful relationships.

This rating measures whether the school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. At a school with a higher rating, it's more likely that the school's culture celebrates hard work and learning, students treat their peers and teachers with respect and class lessons reinforce character strengths such as kindness and tolerance. A school with a lower rating may have a weaker learning environment or allow disrespectful behavior.

Promoting high academic expectations for all students.

This rating sheds light on the academic expectations that teachers have for students. At a school with a higher rating, educators are more likely to stress academic success, ask kids to work hard and expect kids to be college-bound. At schools with lower ratings, it may be more acceptable for students to put in average or minimal effort, perform poorly on tests and lack strong academic goals.

Supporting its teachers.

This rating indicates how teachers feel about their school's professional environment. At a highly rated school, teachers are more likely to work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. At a school with lower ratings, teachers may not interact much, feel appreciated or have much input in school decisions and policies.

Informing and including families.

This rating reflects how much communication parents can expect from this school. A highly rated school is more likely to have regular communication (e.g. newsletters, emails, and meetings) between administrators, teachers and parents. This may include information about student progress, homework help and volunteer opportunities. At lower-rated schools, parents may not get regular updates and may feel less welcome at school.

Ethnicity This school

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 89%N/AN/A
Disabled students 8%N/AN/A
Source: Manually entered by school official

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Schools That Can: Performance, Leadership, Success (2008)
  • Schools That Can: Performance, Leadership, Success (2009)

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Cooking club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• Forensics club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 a.m.
  • Jon Boche
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • 414-313-9110
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran (Wisconsin Synod)
Fax number
  • (414) 562-9188

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Cooking club
  • Dance club
  • Drum line
  • Forensics club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Science club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor