Salam School

Private | PK-11 | 660 students

We are best known for development of future leaders.

Living in Milwaukee

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $107,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Sweep tile

Posted March 30, 2014

The positive reviews are not being written by parents but by staff. You can tell from the language used. This school is a social class system at it's best. My child was there for a year and left not able to read or write. After tutoring her and placing her in a public school she is doing great. Reading above her grade level. The school is unsafe with a high percentage of bullying. The administration doesn't care about the kids. The entire administration needs to be changed in order for this school to become decent. They have excuses for everything.

Posted December 19, 2013

I am a Salam School alumni and it is so sad hearing all of this. These parents are looking for a school to raise there children because they have no time for them. I am in my second year of college and I am proud to say I came from Salam School. The Teachers are amazing and work with every student. Mr. Shalaby, Mr.Kaddoura, and Sr.Khawla work so hard to keep Salam School running smoothly and they do an amazing job. They treat every student as if their own. Please, if you or your child had a bad experience at the school, please don't try to take the school down..., you will fail miserably. Salam.

Posted December 19, 2013

I have my kids enrolled in Salam School and I am very satisfied! All of the parents that have complained about Salam School just need someone to blame for their bad parenting issues. Salam School is here to teach your children, not to raise them. We've had our ups and downs, but we need to face the fact that we'll all face these problems at some time, at some place. There is no need to blame Salam School for all of your problems! Salam School is like family to us and I am honored to say that my children go there.

Posted November 20, 2013

I m really sorry for enrolling my daughter in that school !I feel gulty that I didn t take parents reviews for serious ! I never seen such a careless irresponsble school adminstartion !No issues ever got solved and what is worse is that my daughter s academic level went down ! Again I m so sorry for having my daughter going through such a terrible experience !Some authorities have to check on that school !

Posted November 16, 2013

This is the worst school ever. Of course I'm talking about the elementary school. Really they need to get rid of Sister Khawla. Some of the staff too. Sister Khawla does not know how to desciplin kids. In fact she is punishing the parents. I don't see how she can suspend a child for a silly reason knowing for sure that both parents have a full time job. I think public schools are better.

Posted May 11, 2013

I will try to provide as accurate a description as I can. The school is split into two parts: Elementary and Middle/High School. The elementary is more established as it has been around longer. The administration is composed of a handful of experienced individuals who have been with the school for some time. The teachers are many and range in qualifications and experience. Most of the students qualify as low-income so the lunch, books, and tuition are free. Most students are pretty close to national academic standards, while some are beyond and a little more than some are below. The students are friendly to those who are kind to them. They are unfriendly and/or fearful of those who they feel treat them unfairly. There is a unique mix of personalities among the Admin, staff, parents, and students. Naturally this leads to certain groups having higher expectations than others. This is actually a good thing because there is always a voice for never-ending improvement. Most will agree that the school does improve a little more every year in things such as standardized scores, graduate placements, student behavior, etc. And I hope that it continues to move forward.

Posted May 10, 2013

This is a place where most of the teachers work until they can find a better job somewhere else. People always say they "looking" because the pay and environment is so terrible.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 23, 2013

I agree with most of the reviews, the main problem in this school is the PRINCIPLE, I do believe he has favoritism, he is focused about his position in this school, so because of that he is willing to keep whoever cheer for him, I never expect such a principle and his act, most of the teachers needs education and they are not even qualified to be a teachers, trust me just go and visit the school and see and practice the bad experience with Salam School, I think it s time for the ISM to think about removing this principle in the sake of our Children future and education. Shame on you PRINCIPLE, Please resign in the sake of the education, this school it has to be re-Evaluate, the teachers and the staff, and whoever qualified stay and whoever not then has to go.

Posted February 14, 2013

Too bad and shame on Salam School administration to keep blaming all school issues either on parents or ex-employees! I had my three kids going to Salam School and it was bad experience! My kids have become behind academically since they joined Salam School, and whenever I ask the principal for help, he just blames it on me!When I transfered my kids to a different school, the administration was so helpful with no blamings they found away to make my kids getting As in there report cards and my kids earned back self conference that Salam school was the reason of loosing it.Get your kids off Salam school as soon as possible.

Posted September 30, 2012

The problem with these rating sites is ANYONE can post a message pretending to be a student or parent--or--a disgruntled ex-employee with petty issues. Salam School is the #1 Islamic school in the nation with an extensive curriculum that has received outstanding recognition from US Accreditation organizations. No school is perfect so improvements are ongoing from a caring Administration that demands quality! All students are advised and monitored monthly by the Academic Counselor Dept. NO student falls between the cracks. Extensive state testing is done per semester in all 3 levels. A child that transfers out of Salam School whether from elementary, middle or high does so primarily because he/she is academically too low to meet the challenging standards, even after tutoring or summer school. The Administration never promotes a student who is clearly not ready for the next grade. Some parents refuse to have their child retained so they leave. This is a huge injustice to their child. When finding out about a school go to its website. Scrutinize there. Staff credentials, full curriculum, accreditation awards, re-accreditation awards, state/national awards will be listed.

Posted March 9, 2012

I'm sorry to say that this is not a School ,it's just an "institution " to employ Muslims who has poor skills and can't find good jobs ! My kids used to go to Salam School for couple of years ,and honestly it was the "worst school " they have ever been to ! If you are "new immigrant " ,I advice you to look up all other different public or private Schools in your area first , comparing between them ,then you will soon realize that Salam School is very low rank.If you are worried about teaching your kids Arabic and Islamic studies ,I strongly advise you to just use Salam's School Sunday program .

Posted July 4, 2011

I have a 5th grader and a 2nd grader who have been in Salam School since K4. I can't imagine having them anywhere else. It is not just a school where they go to learn, but a community. I feel a sense of comfort when my children are there. I do not need to worry, as everyone in the school is a family and treat the kids as if they were their own. The curriculum is challenges my children, and allows them to excel. My children are reading and writing Arabic and learning the Islamic manners that I want to instill in their minds.

Posted June 4, 2011

Salam school by far is the worst school I know of. I used to go to this school for four years. and stopped going when a new school opportunity opened up for me. and as soon as i could i quit. the kids at this school dont learn anything. they basically go there to hang out with friends or drive the teachers nuts. the kids are all about race and need to be diciplined they go there by force with no intention to learn anything. the teachers are not experienced with the subjects they teach in. and some of the students don't attend half the classes.

Posted March 6, 2011

I have 4 children who attend Salam school. I do like the school for my children, they are learning what they need to know, they have many friends, and they like their teachers. My only complaint would be is I wish they would learn Arabic . I did talk to the principal and she said what they focus on is teaching to read the Quran not so much conversational Arabic. All and all I love the school and would never send my children anywhere else. I personally love all the teachers my children have had. I plan on sending my 2 other children there as well.

Posted January 10, 2011

Sadly, I would have to agree with all the negative comments. Interestingly enough, all the positive comments seem as if they were written by the same person. My child attended the school for one year and that was enough for me. It is very heartbreaking to see 6 and 8 year olds crying because they hate going to school. There is no "Islamic" environment whatsoever. Teachers lack "passion" and competence for their job and no one seems happy to be there...from the administration to the teachers to the students. The Arabic & Islamic Department, which are the main reason why parents choose the school are the weakest and worst departments. If you cannot help your child with Arabic, there is no way that he/she will learn by just going to class. I know former non-Arabic students that graduated from Salam School and still cannot converse in the language or even read simple paragraphs. Also, the school board president and other on the board don't even have their own kids registered there -- that should be a huge hint. Do your child a favor, take them out of the school and just hire a private tutor for Arabic and Quran.

Posted November 10, 2010

Salam school is the worst school i have ever been to, the teachers are just random people off the street, plus every year the arabic and islamic studies teachers are fired because they cant teach and because of the threats they recive from the students ( students only threaten teachers because they are not fair with there jugement when it comes to disipline). Also the principle and vice principle think that they are write and us parents/students are wrong. if you tell them the teachers dont know how to teach both of them always say that ur child is just not listining. plus would u want your child to go to a school everyday not to learn but to compete with other students on who has better shirts or who has more money or , also students get picked on for being fat or skinny or short or tall, What kind of school is that?? 1 more thing i want to say is that during the school year of 2009/2010 the pricipal told the students that if they gave the school a good rating and good comments that he would give them 5 extra credit points to any class they choose. Isint that called BRIBERY? You tell me

Posted October 21, 2010

i really feel bad to say that, but the school is going down from the princible to the teachers. i am thinking to take my kids out of the school but i am still waitting may be they will get the idea that they need to think about the way school is dealing with the students and the parents, my kids hate quran and arabic and every other subject, they treat all students the same bad students are the same as the good ones behave or missbehave. always punshmintes and no way to accept any opinions and they don't wan't to change the very old way in teaching, i don't even think the princible knows what's going on.

Posted June 30, 2010

Dear parents,I don't advise you to enroll your kids in Salam School as my kids have been suffering from lots of problems with teachers and administrations as well. My kids have attended Salam School for three years 2008,2009 and 2010 .During these years they experienced problems in their academic level for most of the subjects specially Math ,Language Art ,Arabic, High School Math and some other subjects. Most of the teachers in this School have their kids enrolled ,so they take care of their kids and some other kids of their friends giving less time to other kids who they are not friends of their parents.I study hard with my kids when they come home every day,however they were still struggling and when I discussed this with the principal,he just blame it on me instead of helping or check out how is his staff doing with the kids.

Posted March 30, 2010

That would be your least choice for your kids.Before deciding to enroll your kids in this school ,I strongly advise you to compare between Salam School and other good reputation Public Schools around you.My kids used to go to Salam School for couple of years and frankly speaking it s a very regular standard School,which means that there is nothing special about Salam School.They don t adopt amazing Math,Reading or Science programs like what they do in Public Schools.In Salam School,teachers would let the kids to open the text book and just read from it.While in Public Schools,and that is what my kids experiencing now,they adopt the most new education programs that let the kids to have there hands on instead of just reading from the text book.I have to tell you about the big difference that I noted in my kids academic level as well as the great self confidence that they earned since I transfered them from Salam School.The new Public School unlocked there potential in all subjects thinking too.Teachers in Public Schools usually have very long experience as well as they know how to promote kids to do there best.I m really impressed and so happy that I discovered a way better school than Salam School.Can you know what you don t know?

Posted February 10, 2010

There's really no need to reiterate the positives of this school -- they've been listed time and time again in reviews here. However, I would like to address the hateful negative reviews that are without doubt written as some type of recourse of their disgruntled authors. First, no sensible person can expect a school to raise their child -- if your child is not making friends, behind in all subjects while you think they are the 'top' of the class, it's your fault as a parent. This school has sent countless students to college, and they have preformed exceptionally. It's laughable that you have reviews saying their children were bright at Salam, and not able to keep up at other schools - that's just nonsense. Furthermore, look up the meaning of discipline, it is an essential component of raising upstanding adults -- it is not punishment.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Wisconsin used the Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS), which includes the WKCE and WAA, to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in math and reading, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in language arts, science and social studies. The WSAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wisconsin. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level. In private schools, only voucher program participants are tested.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 33% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 36% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 38% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 42% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 40% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 82% in 2013.

All Students17%

Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group. Subgroup scores for each school are only reported for students who were enrolled as of the fall enrollment count. The All students score includes results for all students who took the test, regardless of when they first enrolled in the school.

All Students80%

All Students65%

All Students49%

All Students65%

Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

For private schools, the GreatSchools academic rating is based on test scores and student growth measures from students participating in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program and is not necessarily reflective of performance for all students at a private school. GreatSchools is working with state education officials in the hopes of presenting a more comprehensive picture of student performance at private schools in the future. In the meantime, we encourage reaching out to private schools of interest about specific testing information.

What makes up this rating?

Academic rating
4 / 10
Climate rating
Not available

This school's GreatSchools Rating is based on academics (90%) and climate (10%). The academic rating measures students' test scores, academic growth and college readiness. The climate rating measures safety, cleanliness, parent involvement and more.

Learn more about our methodology

What is the new GreatSchools Rating?

Rating legend
Below
average
Above
average

Our rating (from 1 to 10) reflects a school's overall performance. The higher the rating, the more likely the school will prepare your child for the future, so choose an above-average school (8-10) if possible. For average schools (4-7), do careful research and look for evidence that the school has high-quality programs. For below-average schools (1-3), take caution; a low-performing school may not provide the instruction or environment your child needs to learn, and you may need to supplement classroom lessons at home.

Academic rating

The academic rating is made up of equally-weighted parts: students' test scores, their academic growth (for elementary and middle schools) and their readiness for college (for high schools). The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city and state.
Overall academic rating

Test score rating 2013*
City
Learn more about this school's test scores »

Student growth rating 2013**
Math growth
Above average
Reading growth
Above average

College readiness rating 2013***
Percent of 12th graders taking ACT: 62%
Average Composite ACT score: 17

*Test scores are based on the 2013 WSAS results from the state of Wisconsin.

**The academic growth rating measures how schools affect student test score improvement over time in reading and math. This data is from 2013 and is provided by the Value-Added Research Center and Milwaukee Public Schools.

***This rating is based on composite ACT scores for all 12th graders in 2013. This rating takes into account how many students took the ACT, giving more credit to schools with a higher percentage of graduates taking the ACT exam. The ACT data is provided by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.

Climate ratings

This rating encompasses five elements of school climate: safety and cleanliness, respect and relationships, expectations for students, teacher collaboration and support, and parent involvement. This school's climate ratings are the result of GreatSchools' analysis of teacher survey data from the Spring 2013 School Climate Survey developed by Milwaukee Public Schools. Unfortunately, this school didn't provide enough survey responses to generate a climate rating.

Ethnicity This school
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WCEP Promising Practices (2007)
  • WCEP Promising Practices (2008)
  • WCEP Promising Practices (2009)

Special education / special needs

• 7:40 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
  • Wanis Shalaby
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Islamic
Fax number
  • (414) 282-6959

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
  • Independent Study
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Visual arts
  • Painting
  • Photography

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper

What does it cost?

Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
SAT/ACT prep classes

4707 S 13th St & 815 W Layton Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53221

Choosing a school in Milwaukee?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download