PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Throughout its history, and that of Magellan Day School, WCGL has always provided a very high level of expertise and experience in working with gifted learners. In 2012, when this was no longer possible, the administration chose to close the school rather than operate a second rate program. Some parents, who were understandably upset, but had a need to blame someone, accused the administration. Now they have their own second rate (or worse) school of which WCGL is not and would never be a part.

A shift in focus was due to the Center's inability to obtain funding. This is the reason why the day school is not operating this year. Donors who had been subsidizing tuition costs have moved on after many years of generous giving.

This organization has a terrible administration. The day school has shut down because of the lack of leadership.

Our organization provides programs for gifted learners, their parents, and their teachers. We have relocated as of July 1, 2013 to: 2315 W Good Hope Rd Milwaukee, WI 53209

This institution is top notch. I am thankful everyday that we have a place such as this to send our children to learn and grow in a safe environment. Those of us who are raising such spirited children have a greater understanding, appreciation and respect for the immeasurable value that the Magellan Day School and WCGL provide. I am constantly learning more about myself through my experiences at the school as a parent and through my children's experiences that help me with my parenting skills. Nothing is perfect. But this IS the place for my children and my family. I don't know where we'd be without this school. Parents of students know that this place is life changing for our children and for our families. Those of you who are reading and wondering will quickly determine whether this is the environment for your child upon discussions and visits with the school as well as attending a parent support council meeting. I wish you luck on your journey...

Families bring their children to The Wisconsin Center for Gifted Learners because they find there a compassion and a true love of learning that is nurtured in a way it cannot be anywhere else. My children have benefited tremendously from this way of approaching education. The teachers and the Director want to assist each child to be an educated person who understands himself and others.

This is a great school because it is so efficient at eliminating unfavorable comments. Some posts claim there is a smear campaign directed at this school, but you won't see evidence of that here. A really great job! This post will soon disappear as well. Parents who want to know what is really happening should read carefully the posts of the people who say they like this school. They tell you all you need to know. Until next time.

Helicopter parents are indeed not favored at the Center, but it appears that there is a special place for hot air balloon parents. I suppose we have to figure out what exactly we mean by these terms, which to the untrained eye do not appear to be very constructive.

At Magellan, teachers take the students seriously & enjoy working with them. It makes all the difference! Our older son (who attended 2 years) had the opportunity to study subjects like economics & philosophy in the middle grades. Students set the pace at which they progress through the curriculum, moving as quickly as they are able or slowing to explore a topic in greater depth in a way that a traditional classroom could never allow. Our son left Magellan with a solid sense of himself that proved unshakable over four years of HS. He is now a sophomore at Tufts University. Our younger son took years of summer & Saturday sessions & also gained an appreciation of himself and his capabilities that he would not have developed anywhere else. He will matriculate at Northwestern this fall. Magellan will not cater to helicopter parents or parents who are determined to know where their children stand in relation to classmates. There are no honor rolls, no early SAT talent search testing or any of the other badges of achievement that schools commonly use to identify and rank gifted students. The only competition that takes place at WCGL is with oneself. Our sons loved it.

I graduated WCGL just last year, after attending for 12 years. Suffice it to say, I know the school well. I don't know why, but there is a smear campaign going on about the Center that not only has no basis in fact, it is, frankly, immature. The Center is a haven for those of us classified as "gifted." There, we are free from the bullying of those who can't stand the fact that we're smart and talented. We are challenged by the curriculum and able to move at our own pace. It really isn't more secretive than other schools, either: At the end of a quarter, there is a conference, and once or twice a year there are "room tours" that have the students showing their parents around the place, telling them what's going on. The Center is not perfect. Middle school academia could be better, esp. history. Overall though, if you have a gifted child, give this place a fair shake.

Last modified The Wisconsin Center for Gifted Learners is a Private school that serves grades PK-8