Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Downtown Montessori Academy 2

Posted March 02, 2016
Dma doesn't care about the students as much as they care about test scores. If your child isn't the perfect peg, they lose interest in your child almost immediately. I experienced this with my child and it really made me sad to see such a bright and sweet child treated with such disregard. We decided to move our child to a public school and we are so pleased :-)

Downtown Montessori Academy
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted March 02, 2016
They pick only the perfect kids to ensure high test scores, this is their main concern

Downtown Montessori Academy 4

Posted June 24, 2014
It's a good school However, I wish the administration was more proactive with parents and PEN.I've heard mention of some minor issues and the admin seems to distance themselves from such situations. For such a small school I'd like to see even more to hold our community together....

Posted April 22, 2014
I am a public school Montessori teacher who has taught with Milwaukee Public Schools for 19 years. My own children went to school there for preschool, over ten years ago, and loved it. I had the opportunity to observe for two days recently and found that many of the same staff were there. The new building is beautiful and in a very nice neighborhood. The whole climate of the staff and students was peaceful and welcoming. The children were engaged and respectful. I observed in three different rooms and they were all a joy to be in. This school is a true gem.

Downtown Montessori Academy 3

Posted April 09, 2014
This is a great school for K3-K5. After that, it is questionable. There is no true PTO, they use a system called PEN (parent engagement network). There seems to be no teacher or administration involvement with the volunteers and PEN program, which is sad. There are a handful of parents who seem to put an enormous amount of effort into helping out, which is great! For the few years we have been here we have heard parents say their efforts are being taken for granted and that is sad. There also seems to be an issue with bullying at the school. I saw something about a program that was supposed to be introduced in January, but it was canceled due to weather. I am not sure if they were planning on rescheduling or not, but I have not heard anything. I am concerned about my child moving up next year due to the lack of discipline of bullies. Overall, I think this is a great school for k3-k5, but I am leaning towards not so great for the grades after that. Some teachers in the lower el and upper el that are great, but I just don't see the backing from the administration to take care of problems and let the "good" students to learn in an environment that allows them to excel.

Posted April 08, 2014
Can't imagine sending my child anywhere else. Diverse, small and close to home. Love the faculty.

Posted April 08, 2014
This is my sons first year at DMA. Transferred in from an MPS Montessori school. I could not be happier with my decision to move him. Great small school and community!!

Posted April 07, 2014
This school is an example for schools across the country. As my job as a Therapist I deal with Milwaukee Schools on a regular basis, and I am on the Governance Council for Alliance High School another exceptional school, and I am amazed still everyday when I go to the school. I have three children currently attending there, and they all are excelling due to the nurturing environment. I talk with their teachers on a regular basis, and volunteer there. Thanks for this amazing school that nurtures the love of learning.

Downtown Montessori Academy 4

Posted January 06, 2014
DMA is a culturally diverse school. The level of parental involvement is amazing. I wish I would have had a school like this when I was a kid.

Posted December 10, 2013
I am EXTREMELY happy with the choice I made for my son's first school experience coming into Children's House "K4". I chose this school because of the montessori way of learning; as well as it's proximity for me to my workplace. I have been more than pleased with his teacher, the administration, and the access to other activities that make him feel as if we are apart of the school community. I was at first worried about how he would "fit in" as we do not live in the Bayview area - but everyone has been very welcoming and we've found that children/families that are committed to this school are coming from all over. He has something new to tell me that he's learning everyday and is also building some amazing social skills as he is even more well-mannered, enjoys setting the table at home, and even is now recognizing full words and working on his cursive. Can't be happier :)

Downtown Montessori Academy
2507 S Graham St, Milwaukee, WI  53207
Last modified Downtown Montessori Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.