University School of Milwaukee 3

Posted May 20, 2014
My son has attended University School since the first grade, and he is not in the fifth grade, which is considered middle school. I would say that the school is good in terms of academics; however, the price tag is significant. We recently hit a rough patch economically. When we asked admin to work with us for the sixth grade, they refused. We provided documentation to prove our current situation. To our dismay, the financial committee did not want to work with us at all. This was extremely disappointing for us, especially since we've been at the school for a few years. As far as the teachers go, it's like most schools. Some teachers are exceptional while others are nothing special. I can say this because we have had a combination of both. Overall, the school is good as I mentioned prior, yet for the expensive price tag----I feel that ALL teachers should be exceptional. Lastly, getting help for your child is an additional cost. It comes across to me that USM is all about the money and not the welfare of the students who attend there. Instead of you walking through the doors of the school, your wallet always walks in first. I ALWAYS felt this way, unfortunately....

Posted April 24, 2014
USM is the best pre-K through 12 School in the Milwaukee area. We have three children in the lower school and our experience has been exceptional. USM has great teachers and small classes. The teachers take the time to get to know each child as an individual. The facilities are wonderful and the place is well run. In general, the USM community has been a big plus for us. We have met a bunch of great engaged parents. I understand the concern about snootiness that others have remarked upon. However, can you show me any school in which you will click with every other parent? The vast majority of USM parents are great! The only real negative about USM is that it is really expensive -- starting around $15,000 in the early years and pushing $20,000 per year by high school. Paying the tuition bill each year is no fun, but USM does deliver the value. This is a great school!

Posted April 09, 2014
The best school out there. Wonderful teachers and staff, and the nicest students. A great education and lots of fun sports and extra curricular. Lots of service opportunities.

Posted February 02, 2014
Although I have been going to USM since 1st grade and have never experienced what it is like to go to a public school, I have no doubt that USM is the best option for me. Being a determined kid, USM allowed me to challenge myself from a young age and develop into a student who didn't do the work for the satisfaction of getting an A, but more so for the enjoyment of learning. Part of this mindset is definitely due to my parents awesome perspective on what is actually important in life, but I truly believe that USM, especially in the past couple of years, has been pushing the message that hard work and dedication is far more important than the mark you receive. To address the talk about how superficial and shallow some of the families are at USM, I totally agree. A small minority of the families attending this school are snobby and conceited, but never has this affected me or my family. If you are being affected by the small amount of snooty riffraff that goes on at USM, then you might want to work on being a little more confident and a little less shallow yourself; these low lifes can easily be avoided and should not distract from all the other wonderful aspects of this school.

Posted November 15, 2013
We are new parents too and there is no way that anyone in their right mind can rate this school anything other than 5 stars. My son is new to the school. The staff has done an amazing job welcoming us and making sure that he transitions effectively. They ensure that every student s social, emotional, physical and academic needs are addressed. We are of ethnic minority and have never felt out of place because everyone is so nice, students, parents and staff alike. I'm an administrator at a different school and I can recognize the amount of hard work that their teachers, coaches, advisors and secretarial staff provide. This is a school of excellence! The parent involvement is strong, which is really great because they look out for our kids. We are so grateful to finally find a school that challenges our son's full potential in a non-stressful and nurturing environment.

University School of Milwaukee 1

Posted October 16, 2013
We are new parents to the school and have had a very bad experience thus far. The parents are very snobbish and superficial, while some of the teachers appear to be callous. We want our child to have an excellent learning opportunity without the elitist environment, which isn't possible at USM. Another problem is the social circle you feel forced to join. There are endless social affairs, which provides an excellent way to meet other families. Unfortunately, if you aren t part of their circle than you re not welcome and it s very apparent! This is a school for parents who want their children to grow up to be snobby and discriminative! We want our child to grow up to be a decent, intelligent and kind, not someone who only cares about money, the proper circles and clawing their way to the top.

Posted August 29, 2013
USM was an excellent learning and social environment for my son, who is now in law school. He benefited from the small classes and the individualized curriculum. The school was very good at finding the activities that he was interested in, and giving him the opportunities to excel in them. He played chess and soccer, and that determined his social life. All soccer players were invited to the soccer parties. The students have assigned places at lunch tables headed by staff members. In this way, the students socialize with students from other activities and classes, and get to know the staff outside of the classroom. How do they get these kids to study so hard? The curriculum is rigorous and engaging. The other students are career and interest oriented and set a fast pace. Studies are simply part of the social life. My advice to parents interested in this school for high school, start in middle school if possible. Be sure your child is active in at least one activity and one sport. Sports are all walk on and everybody plays. And give your student plenty of time to study. Stay in contact with his teachers. If you need weekly notes, as we did in middle school, no prob.

Posted December 09, 2012
Best school of Milwaukee: Historically the best school in Milwaukee (area) and still is. People are posing this as a "Boys "Over Flowers" type of "elite" University and it is not. If you want your kids to meet the best people and become the best humanly possible then this school is for you and not something you should put a price on. The only thing that could possibly be a negative is that the student body is very small especially when considering it is PK-12, but some people like that. =this school needs more exceptional students to make it even better. The people writing negative reviews are certainly not considering the students perspective which is what a school is/for/about. Anyone of these negative commenters could have easily went to any of the academic, sport, or social competitions that USM students partake in and i am certain 99% of all the students would tell you they are very happy with themselves and their fellow student classmates. Fair warning: Schools like this are very competitive and many of the kids take lessons/tutoring outside of Class. -It is very hard for an outside student to jump in unless you have a special talent. Study hard -Ganbatte!

Posted November 13, 2012
Amazingly dedicated teachers, genuinely committed, creative, caring and forward thinking administration and staff. The school exudes a refreshing sense of community.

Posted March 06, 2012
My child is in her first at USM and we are exceptionally happy with the comprehensive education she is receiving. There is not only a strong focus placed on academics; but character development, fine arts, the languages, fitness and nutrition. She has been challenged and supported as a new student and she is very happy!

University School of Milwaukee
2100 W. Fairy Chasm Road, Milwaukee, WI  53217
Last modified University School of Milwaukee is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
University School of Milwaukee Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top