Shoreland Lutheran High School

Private | 9-12 | 300 students

Posted October 14, 2014

We're Lutheran and our children went here. We would NOT send/ recommend. Ask ROI? How many AP classes/scores? Are teachers trained to teach AP? Are all teachers state (not WELS) certified/is guidance department trained/credentialed? Staff with advanced degrees? Is infrastructure up to standard/resources like computers, etc., appropriate for launch into college/business world? Is curriculum current? Role of women, can't vote on matters? Any females in leadership admin roles? Enrollment - down & why? Lots of "shenanigans" occur here that wouldn't in public school or business. Students clean, set up tables during classes. During class, interventions are planned for students who are not WELS. Students are put in a room alone with administrators to discuss why they aren't going to a WELS college and that they are damned. The admin/board is comprised of the same people, so no transparency. Fiscally insolvent. Privacy issues abound, as files/conversations/emails shared in confidence with pastors/ staff are shared/ discussed with staff /students. Acad. rigor is not as challenging as public honors program. Talk of new science wing? Lipstick on a pig doesn't change that it is still a pig.

Posted October 14, 2014

I don't think children need to attend a private school to turn into contributing members of society. Nor do they have to be WELS to be functional. I have and know students in the public system who are loving, caring, Christian and who contribute to society in wonderful ways. They also have MBAs and work in desirable positions. They have a strong faith community and values, raised in Christian homes. Unfortunately, there are those in this WELS system who judge and think that their faith/way is the only "correct" path. It isolates and turns others away. Other reviews here shared personal experiences, which they are entitled to do. Bringing someone's faith, or their supposed lack of it based on your own judgement, has nothing to do with the school's programming, politics or overall success. Don't paint with such a wide brush - there are many wonderful Shoreland students, but there are also many wonderful students who have faith and did not attend Shoreland and chose a different school for a variety of reasons. Advice? Investigate, plan an unscheduled visit and google WELS and some articles to get a accurate understanding of the school and synod. Ultimately, it is a personal choice.

Posted October 2, 2014

Shoreland Lutheran High School is a fine Wisconsin Synod school that provides a great education. Unfortunately they have to suffer from the comments of parents that aren't Lutheran and in many cases not even Christian who make their judgements based on society rather than God's Word.. But, so be it if, if it exposes their children to God's saving gospel for their time as a student there. My 4 son's went there helping to develop them into one Pastor, one health professional, one businessman with an MBA, and one computer operator still working on his education. All four are responsible citizens that contribute to society, and the married ones are loving Christian fathers. The investment in Shoreland has given us many blessings. Our only reservation comes as a result of abandoning the great dress code they had for many years.

Posted January 30, 2013

Does not prepare students for college! If you just want your child to graduate and hear God's word and nothing more, this is the place for you. In my 6 years, I witnessed a complete lack of consistency in teaching/methods, discipline, and communications to parents. For example; Foreign language- every year for 4yrs there were new teachers, methods/styles of teaching- does not build from year to year. Some of the teachers are teaching the same material with the same methods they used 30yrs ago. Departments don't work together for the students benefit. Teachers and Admin have become lackadaisical and have low standards. Over 6 years I noticed an increasing number of graduates go off to college only to fail and come home after first semester. That speaks volumes! Students learn how to get away with irresponsible behaviors such as lieing, cheating, mediocrity, and worse. In addition, the administration will do anything to save face & reputation including sweeping serious situations and offenses under the rug. It's a shame that this school is allowed to operate in this manner. There are 2 or 3 excellent teachers, but in the end, that's not enough for a complete HS education.

Posted October 22, 2012

The last post couldn't be further from the truth. Here is the truth that is posted in the Kenosha News paper...Shoreland s composite scores led the way with 23.9 out of a possible 36 points. St. Joseph Catholic Academy followed with 23.3 and Christian Life School with 22.9. The greatest compliment that a parent can receive is one from a stranger regarding their child s actions outside of the home. I was contacted by the Associate Director for Student Success from the College that my son attends. The Director wanted to let me know what an incredible, articulate, leader that my son is. She mentioned to me that during her years of service that she rarely comes across a freshmen with his approachability, kindness and poise. I told her that it has always been a "community effort" in raising my children. We have always done our best to surround our children with wonderful people and with God always at the forefront. The teachers at SLHS all take pride in the quality of education and lives that they are building. I appreciate the faculty and I know for a fact that they are doing a fantastic job! I love this school.

Posted September 4, 2012

Poor choice, not for all. If member of the WELS you'll do okay. Outsiders are expected to conform or expect planned "interventions" from staff. School is dirty - bugs, toilets not cleaned/overflowing, no professional janitorial service, etc.. Recent ACT scores not that great as compared to St. Joe's/public schools. Computer lab outdated/constantly crashing, and teachers are out of the room. Since not part of public school, teachers must find and pay for their own subs, so they typically do not and students end up being left unattended for class periods. Students are regularly pulled out of classes/study halls to prep for events, cleaning and set-up. Administrative staff has no real accountabilty, only to their board, which is made up families/friends, so no real change takes place. Enrollment has dwindled over the last several years and there is a reason why. Academics, lack of professionalism, resources are not comparable to area private/public schools. Ask about admin staff and count how many women are in position of "authority." Women teachers cannot lead "men" (boys over certain age) in prayer/other situations so male teachers must come supervise such situations.

Posted August 29, 2012

What a Wonderful School!! I had four children graduate from the school. Each one loved their high school years. Each one was extremely well prepared for college. Each one will have Christian friends for life that came from their high school relationships. From a parent's perspective all of that is wonderful but the most important part of the Shoreland experience was the constant contact with God's word delivered by faith-filled, caring teachers and administrators. I would recommend Shoreland to anyone who wants a quality, Christian based education for their children!

Posted August 17, 2012

This school is a horrible representation of what Christians are. I went there, and was appalled at the bullying and language. Its true, these kids have no respect for anyone. I now go to a different Christian school, that is amazing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 9, 2012

excellent school. Great academics, activities, staff, environment, sports, location, and student body. Great Christian environment!

Posted October 21, 2011

I am a parent and grandparent of SLHS students. I've been to Shoreland countless times, and have always been totally impressed at the quality education Shoreland offers, the sonderful, caring staff, the respectful students and the wonderful closeness the students and parents have at SLHS. I also love seeing how much the teachers and student like each other...they are very close...It is one of the best rated in Wisconsin, as well. It is definitely easier to discipline students when they use Christian principles. What would Jesus want you to do? Any child able to attend is very fortunate and it is money well spent. I did prefer the earlier dress code, which was stricter. Kids do act better when they are dressed better... One teacher was known to have told an unruly student..."The first time I have difficulty with you, I talk to you, the second time I send you to the Principal, the third time I invite myself to your home for dinner...Excellent...

Posted November 3, 2010

Our personal experience with shoreland is very negative. The education is better then the local public schools, but certain member(s) of the current administration do not follow very christain like principles. We have withdrawn one student because of deceit that we personally caught the person in. When he was confronted he stated that it was decision to act in this manner and us as parents should trust him implicitly over our own principals. They have the students do common housekeeping chores without the parents knowledge, they will take the children out of the school without the parents knowledge. I know of one instance where a member of the administration personally benefited financially from the students work, without the parents knowledge and during the day. This is a very poorly managed school, and some member(s) of the upper administration feel they can do what they want.

Posted July 16, 2010

Shoreland is an excellent school to attend, the teachers are great and we all have a personal bond. Everything we do we strive do do it out of love for Christ. Its disapointing that someone would say we dont pray before game because personally being involved in numerous sports they are clearly being mislead. Before every game we do say a pray even the players are being leaders and leading in the prayer. Also the dress code at shoreland is beyond appropriate we have a strict no collar bone rule for all tops and no holes in jeans or to short bottoms rules. If they are not followed we are kindly asked to change. I respect my teachers and by doing so i feel they respect me. I highly recommend shoreland and I am always proud to be a Shoreland Pacer.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 22, 2009

Both of my children were graduated from Shoreland. I spent a great deal of time doing volunteer work at this excellent Christian school. I can't comprehend how any parent would give a negative review in any aspect of the school's performance unless that parent was specifically looking for something else or their child had discipline problems due to bad behavior. This is a confessional Lutheran school. One particular confession of faith -- as spelled out in the Book of Concord of 1580 --- is taught & believed & practiced in every sphere of school life. Every teacher & employee must subscribe to this standard of faith and must be an active and loyal member of a church belonging to the fellowship of the Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod. Every year their ACT scores are the highest in Kenosha County! There's lots of college scholarships for graduates! God's Word is used in every class!

Posted October 30, 2009

My daughter loves it at Shoreland! She can't get enough of school Academically she is doing very well, as are kids in her class who struggled in grade school. Shoreland provides extra help for those who need it and their is a closeness amongst classmates that forms friendships that will last a lifetime. Their atheletic program is outstanding. I believe that Shoreland provides a well-balanced education preparing my child for this life and the next. I recommend SLHS.

Posted November 19, 2008

It's like a public school but costs $5,000 more and they can spend the tuition money any way they please.

Posted June 23, 2006

Yes, it is too bad that more people do not take the time to step into the school and take a good look at what goes on here. It saddens me that this is what some people may have as their only example of a Christian school. The language, the dress code, the lack of respect for each other is evident everywhere. I think the staff could be a better example for the world if they would do things like prayers before sports games or what happened to putting your hand over your heart when the National Anthem is sung? Other schools do it, even those that are not Christian. It does not seem like a very good example to this world.

Posted January 23, 2006

It saddened me to see the first two reviews posted about our high school at Shoreland. They were so negative. However, I realize that no one place will ever satisfy all of its constituency, so I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to speak positively about this great school! Shoreland continues to further its mission of 'educating, equipping, and encouraging students for lives of Christian service' everyday. This happens as the Word of God is used everyday in classes, in chapel worship, in sports, the fine arts, and even in discipline. I fear that some who don't recognize this haven't taken the time to ever step foot into the building, into a classroom, or to really talk with an administrator or staff member. Their efforts are outstanding, and considering they're working with 300+ teenagers everyday (sinners like you and me), they deserve the greatest respect I have to offer!
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted January 23, 2006

I have had two of my children graduate from this school. Presently, two more of my children are going here. It is the only school I would consider. The christian education is second to none. The faculty and staff at top shelf. My children have received an outstand education that has prepared them for post high school both scholasticly and spiritually. Don't take my word for this. Come and see. See for yourself. Talk to the students or staff.

Posted January 21, 2006

My twin daughters are seniors at Shoreland (06). They have received a quality education from humble, dedicated and talented servants of the gospel. They have regularly had their faith fed with the good news of Christ's forgiveness and peace. I would recommend Shoreland to any family looking for a high school that offers their students excellence in academics, Christian training, extra-curriculars and a caring, dedicated staff.

Posted September 28, 2003

This school claims to put an emphais on your faith, but the school is not a good representation of Christianity and I do not recommend this school to anyone. There are better places to send your kids.

Grade level

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 70% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 41% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 76% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Wisconsin used the Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS), which includes the WKCE and WAA, to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in math and reading, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in language arts, science and social studies. The WSAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wisconsin. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level. In private schools, only voucher program participants are tested.
GreatSchools' ratings currently reflect 2012-13 testing data.

Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the WSAS test. As a result of these changes, proficiency scores for Wisconsin schools are lower than they were in previous years.

Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

White, not Hispanic 88% 74%
Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%
Black, not Hispanic 2% 10%
Multiracial 1% 2%
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 1%
Asian N/A 4%
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 0% 0%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Paul B Scriver
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Wisconsin evangelical lutheran synod
Fax number
  • (262) 859-2783

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious