Superior, WI

Posted March 28, 2014
I have not had issues with the teachers but the principle leaves a lot to be desired. For three years my kids have gone here and the lack of authority shown is ridiculous. Many of the 5th graders are bullies with no respect for adults and the principle does nothing to stop it. As a parent I have volunteered my time on many occasions or just tried to help our when needed. Drives me crazy that I have been told I have no authority to tell kids they cant do something. If they bring a gun, toy or not, I was told its not my place to stop the child. Is it a little twisted that I am supposed to send my kids here but am not allowed protect them form other kids?

Posted May 18, 2013
My son goes to Great Lakes. He will be headed to the middle school in September. I am very impressed with the school. He received some special education services. I was more than impressed with the strides that Great Lakes has helped him to make and hope that the middle school is as resourceful and helpful. I have one other child that WILL be attending Great Lakes.

Posted April 18, 2011
This school has gone downhill over the last 3 years if you have special need student this school is not for them they just push them threw each grade with no concerns if the student should or should not go on to the next grade level. I have a 4 year old son that will not be going to this school.

Posted April 17, 2011
The school itself is nice and it is one of the smaller schools but if you have special ed student they prefer to have the child on medication and to sit still all day long. They(teachers, school staff) don't like to go the extra mile for a child that needs attention with adhd and autism I have found out. The principal does say she has experience with children of this nature but the IEP speaks for itself. I was very disappointed in this school and their are great assistants at this school that work with my son I love them and he loves them too! Do your homework when enrolling your children in this school if you have a special ed child. If you don't have any concerns along this lines your kids should do fine. If you end up open enrolling one child you might not get the other one granted.. that is what I found out due to "space". You don't get preference for families either. Just a FYI.

Posted September 16, 2009

Posted December 04, 2008

Posted December 04, 2008
Childrens safety is non existant at this school. Children and adults are free to come and go through any door they please.

Posted August 22, 2006
We are grateful that our children are the part of a school like Great Lakes. The teachers are amazing and focus on the children as they should. We have always had wonderful experiences with our childrens teachers and have never worried about personal issues becoming public or discussed with others. Mr. Mertzig always has a smile on his face and greets the children and parents. We can not say enough about the teachers of Great Lakes. We must always remember the real focus is the well being of the children, which we are fortunate that this is generally the case at Great Lakes.

Posted November 09, 2003
Our grandson has been at Great Lakes since Kindergarten. His is now in the third grade. From the Principal, Mr. Dennis Mertzig, to the teachers and staff at this fine school, my wife and I know that our grandson, is in safe and capable hands. He loves school, and the atmosphere there at Great Lakes is one which lets the parents, albeit grandparents, become involved with the learning process. He is so fortunate to be able to attend such a school.

Great Lakes Elementary School
129 N 28th St E, Superior, WI  54880
Last modified Great Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Great Lakes Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top