Bad
Good

This is a great school. The teachers, since my son has been in Kindergarten have been absolutely fabulous. He has excelled and the teachers have pushed him, which have lead to higher test scores and a reading level that is 2 grades higher than his. The principle is doing a great job teaching the kids about bullying and is very involved. I do not hesitate sending my kids to this school.

I have not had issues with the teachers but the principle leaves a lot to be desired. For three years my kids have gone here and the lack of authority shown is ridiculous. Many of the 5th graders are bullies with no respect for adults and the principle does nothing to stop it. As a parent I have volunteered my time on many occasions or just tried to help our when needed. Drives me crazy that I have been told I have no authority to tell kids they cant do something. If they bring a gun, toy or not, I was told its not my place to stop the child. Is it a little twisted that I am supposed to send my kids here but am not allowed protect them form other kids?

My son goes to Great Lakes. He will be headed to the middle school in September. I am very impressed with the school. He received some special education services. I was more than impressed with the strides that Great Lakes has helped him to make and hope that the middle school is as resourceful and helpful. I have one other child that WILL be attending Great Lakes.

This school has gone downhill over the last 3 years if you have special need student this school is not for them they just push them threw each grade with no concerns if the student should or should not go on to the next grade level. I have a 4 year old son that will not be going to this school.

The school itself is nice and it is one of the smaller schools but if you have special ed student they prefer to have the child on medication and to sit still all day long. They(teachers, school staff) don't like to go the extra mile for a child that needs attention with adhd and autism I have found out. The principal does say she has experience with children of this nature but the IEP speaks for itself. I was very disappointed in this school and their are great assistants at this school that work with my son I love them and he loves them too! Do your homework when enrolling your children in this school if you have a special ed child. If you don't have any concerns along this lines your kids should do fine. If you end up open enrolling one child you might not get the other one granted.. that is what I found out due to "space". You don't get preference for families either. Just a FYI.

Childrens safety is non existant at this school. Children and adults are free to come and go through any door they please.

Last modified Great Lakes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.