Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Decided to transfer my children to a different school even though we live down the street. Bullying is a major problem in this school and no one will acknowledge it. Also major behavior issues with no corrective measures being taken. Teacher/staff turnover is high.

Both of my kids have gone to Hawthorne and this year we made the decision to sell our home of 10 years and move out of the district because of our experiences at Hawthorne. When my daughter first started here, I loved the school. Then they changed the curriculum to STEM. Some of the teachers are great, but most of them are barely even checked in. They are so concerned with being a STEM school and being progressive the students suffer. The kids get no grades or report cards. Now, they also have "student led" conferences, so you barely have any interaction with the teachers. There is no accountability, no consequences for missing work and no real help for kids that struggle with specific subjects. No one told us when our son was misbehaving in class and hiding his work. We found out by accident because of form we submitted for an outside of school program. No one told us our daughter was having issues in reading until they recommended her for summer school! She always tested high and since test scores was all we got, that was all we had to go on. We tried to transfer our kids to another school and were denied for lack of space. If you have a choice, do not put your kids in this school!

I "graduated" from Hawthorne in 2011 in 5th grade. Everyone I knew was my friend, boys and girls. It wasn't the weird "Oo! They're going out!" kind of thing when a boy stood up for a girl or vice versa either because that's just how it was! At Hawthorne, if someone got made fun of, someone (usually a girl) would go over there and do something about it. If someone got hurt this is what you would hear, "Are you ok? What happened?". It was a friendly school where everyone fit in! We loved what we did, we loved our teachers and we were a family. A REALLY BIG family, and a small school with around 300 kids.

My Son goes to early childhood class in Hawthorne. I have seen great improvement in my son in last 4 months. I love his the growth in his development. And the credit goes to hawthorne.

We have three children at Hawthorne, it is a wonderful school with an oustanding staff. Even with the school district funding cuts over the years, parents and staff have made this an excellent school. Staff turnover is low too so the kids know all the teachers in their future!

Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.