Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

This is an amazing school that takes into account one's interests. Although it is clear that some teachers don't give a rats hat about their student's schedules, there are lots of teachers that really do care about the students. The Saratoga Campus (6-8) is a lot more student-oriented compared to the Randall Campus (K-5) in the sense that students who need to be challenged more are in fact given more extracurricular projects or do additional project/research pertaining to the topic. In Randall, there are a few different levels of classes (specifically math/literacy) where students who need help can receive more support, people who need grade-level education, and ones who are learning higher-level concepts. However, there is a handful of students that could have began even higher level math (like Pre-Algebra) so they would feel that they were being challenged enough. The teachers at Randall don't personalize the learning experience quite as much whereas in Saratoga the learning is personalized for every individual. At Saratoga, they have options for STEaM, in Randall, it is all, from what I know, an assigned project. Although Saratoga has deadlines for STEaM, students can choose what they are interested in. Saratoga offers more freedom and spectacular learning opportunities. James Murray (Saratoga principal) has done a great job of not only maintaining the school but allowing students to thrive and grow. This innovative education does take a student capable of meeting deadlines and being responsible when it comes to work time in class. My advice to students is to get work done in class because it truly is valuable, there is a fair amount of work assigned (especially compared to Randall where there is close to no homework) and students can easily get stressed out at home especially if they have extracurricular activities as well has homework to do. Overall, Waukesha STEM schools have done an exceptional job teaching and empowering students. The students also have to put a lot of hard work and dedication towards their schoolwork because if they really do have a passion for their studies, they will go off to do impactful and wonderful things. This school also helps students that struggle become more comfortable and help them achieve great things.

I love this school so much! I currently have a 3rd grader and will have a kindergartner next year. I will admit that I personally don't understand every single technical aspect, but they host several days where the kids teach us how they are using the technology to learn! The teachers and administration offer many many open forums for parents to understand the ins and outs of the school. It takes just a bit to get used to and parents have to make an effort to understand how it works, but overall it's a great place to learn!

My husband and I just decided our child won't be returning next year. The whole approach is confusing and when we ask questions to try and understand we just get a whole load of condescending educator-speak. There are a couple shockingly horrible teachers here but most are great. Communication to families is poor, not in terms of quantity but in the quality. I've tried politely and constructively expressing my opinions but it's really quite obvious neither administration nor the board cares. This is a school where the district has an agenda and that agenda is king, not families.

The middle school is horrible but the elementary school is very good. Unfortunately they've decided to replace the elementary principal and expand the middle school principal's responsibilities. I don't see this being in any student's best interest. All the elementary parents leaving positive comments here are about to find out where all the dissatisfaction comes from.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My boys are learning life skills and all around getting a complete education. We love WSA

Fantastic school with education at its finest. Best school in Waukesha by far. Kids are learning and understanding at such a high level, incredible teachers and so many opportunities.

This school is awful. Communication is bad, grading system is bad and everything in between is bad. Principal cares only about himself...luckily he is leaving. When there are student problems, little things get done because the teachers want the children to figure it out instead of the adults stepping in to help resolve the problem. There is no guidance with anything. So, overall it is not a good school.

It's very interesting to find negative reviews of this school because, as a parent of a student at STEM Randall, this school has been nothing but stellar. The education and growth of our child at STEM has been enormous, the staff is committed to providing a top notch education to their students, using best practices. We had the choice between sending our child to a private school and opted for STEM instead because we saw the quality as equal to private school education, without the cost. Our younger child will also attend STEM Randall in the fall- a choice we're confident is a good one.

I've never felt strongly enough about anything to submit a review but just have to say something about his school. We have been with the middle school for two years now. I heard another parent recently describe the experience of attending here as "exhausting" and I couldn't have come up with a better description. We just learned that the principal is changing the daily schedule, yet again, halfway through year. This is pretty typical. I guess if it was just me I'd shut up and live with it but all these reviews here and elsewhere and fellow parents sharing the same thoughts one on one, something is wrong here. I've talked to the principal and he obviously has his own agenda. I hate to leave after putting so much into it but that's the choice we're left with.

I'm not sure what has happened at this school but it really never became what it was built up to be. I think administrators have great intentions but have pushed poorly communicated agendas too hard and failed to understand the unique aspects of the population they serve. My family has been very disappointed and are glad this is our last year here.

Last modified Waukesha Stem Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.