Bad
Good

Our son is now starting his third year at Whittier. We were admittedly reluctant and concerned when he enrolled for the 2014-15 school year. Fast forward, we have had ZERO issues with the school and/or any member of the staff. Our son is at or above grade level in reading and math. He is eager and excited about his schoolwork. We volunteer and stay engaged. Ms. Gannon's leadership is turning this school around. Instead of being worried about our son attending, I now feel lucky that he is part of a compassionate, diverse, and engaging community.

I pulled my daughter out of this school for a couple of really big reasons. First and foremost, the bullying there is horrible. When children are getting attacked at the school the teachers say nothing and the attacker goes unpunished, parents are uninformed and it isn't referred to the principal. What good are the anti bullying rules if no one enforces it? The other big reason was the fact that my daughter was falling behind and needed help in reading and speech. I had to push to get her into speech class, and wrote several letters expressing concern about her reading skills. My answer to the letters ....sending the same three books home for months. Teachers that were there that were good have left do to issues with the school and the district. I advise everyone to seriously look into this school. I am sorry that my daughter's first two years of school were such a bad experience. I too now homeschool through a virtual public school and my daughter has excelled. I understand that not everyone can do that but there are other options and for your child's sake you should know them.

I took my children out of this school. My kids were not given a chance at a quality education in this school, so now we are a homeschooling family. This is now a normal statement from many people that I know who have removed their children from this school. When I was informed that one of my children was allowed to wander around the room or draw as long as he wasn't bothering anyone, I was livid. I had him tested and he was 2 grade levels behind. When I asked the school what we could do to hold him back and make sure he learned the basics, I was told "it would take something VERY extreme to hold him back. He'll move forward next year." As a parent, I stopped a fist fight in the hall, 4 feet away from an open door, where two female teachers were chatting, sitting on desks. The bell had rung and the day was over, but there were still children that needed supervision in the halls. I have never seen staff exit a building so quickly at the end of the day. The connection between teachers and students is just not there. It's sad. I tell everyone I can that if they have the ability to place their children elsewhere, they need to. If I could give a "0" rating, I would.

My child goes to this school. The principal and teachers give rewards to the children that act up. If I was able to I would take my child out of this school. My child does not even want to go to school anymore. They do nothing about the bullies. It is like they do not care about the children that want an education. Very sad. They need to get rid of the principal and a lot of the teachers. Show the children that want to learn that they care.

I am the parent of a 1st grader here, and the PTO pres as of two weeks ago. I agree that this is a school with issues to settle, but those are not created by the school. We serve a population of students that come from a variety of unstable home environments. The current principal, is in her second year here and is in the process of putting parameters in place to create the best learning environment for everyone, whether that is separate classrooms for those who can't be mainstreamed, extra aides in the classes, or just "safe rooms" for those students coming from a crisis situation. Parent involvement could be better, but when you are working two jobs to make ends meet, that doesn't leave a lot of time for volunteering. This school is truly a work in progress, and I choose to be part of the solution. Whittier's best days are still in the future...I believe that 100%.

I had the opportunity to volunteer at this school daily recently, and was appalled by the lack of control the administration and staff have over their students. Overall, discipline is very lax and does not happen unless a student is putting others in extreme danger. I have seen kids get away with crawling around on top of tables during work time, sliding down the banisters of the stairways, and using foul, abusive language towards their peers, just to name a few. The staff members at this school are either overwhelmed or apathetic towards the situations at the school, and the way volunteers and parents are treated by staff when they visit classes is mediocre at best. This school is broken, and needs to be fixed. These kids need positive role models that enforce the rules, but I don't see any staff members going out of their way to be responsible, respectful, or safe. Parents, please send your children to another school, not only because of the test scores, but because of the blatant lack of professionalism the staff shows.

Our children are in their third year at this school and while it may not be perfect, it comes close. The teachers that I have met have displayed an interest in helping my children, so much so that my youngest far outpassed my expectations with his progress last year. There have been changes in leadership at this school but it was handled well and has been a positive experience for my children. While the test scores are lower, I do not consider the methodology used for the WKCEs to be perfect. Not to mention that those tests do not test how to be a good citizen. One area where I feel this school excels.

Very poor. Do not consider this school especially if you have a child with special needs as they will be simpley passed through the system. They are very luckey to have just a couple of caring teachers, but administration is all talk. This is not a great school..see test scores.

I wont say it is the best in Waukesha but it sure isn't the worst.. Dr. White loved all of his kids in that school however some of the other teachers really didn't always go the extra step to help the kids out.. :(

Last modified Whittier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.