West Salem High School 4

Posted October 22, 2011
West Salem is an amazing school. The teachers do a great job at helping you. Also, everyone here is friends. I see bullying, but it's becoming more rare. We have an amazing athletics department & everyone gets involved. The teachers make learning here fun. All in all the school is just great.

West Salem High School 4

Posted December 03, 2010
Being a smaller town that is growing rather rapidly I'd say it may be losing its charm of a close-nit town. With pride associated in its athletic department it has perhaps been seen as putting academics on the back burner. This simply isn't true... A high school in western wisconsin isn't putting a large number of kids into division 1 schools on athletic scholarships and if anything rewards hardwork by student athletes and students involved in extracurricular activities such as band and theatre. The negative comments on this site seem to be from the outcasts who never took the steps to become something other than a shaddow walking the halls. As for myself, when I entered college I wasn't sure how I'd stack up but rather quickly realized that many of my high school classes were college prep level and most of my freshman year was review. The traditions that make this school fun and not a drag are lost on those who don't realize how lucky they are. I would not have traded my experience for a large sum of money to go to La Crosse.

West Salem High School 2

Posted September 09, 2010
I am a student at this school, I moved here in 4th grade but still do not feel welcome in my school district. It's a very tight-knit community, and the school is only okay. Some of the teachers are amazing, true, but others tend to make life a living Hell for those who would rather focus on academics instead of sports, and others that will ignore everyone not in a sport. The principal is virtually never there when he is needed by students, and does not seem to be very competent at dealing with other people. He doesn't even bother to learn the names of any of the students. There is only one foreign language taught at the school. This school is good for you only if you enjoy subpar education and being mocked by students and teachers alike. Or if you play sports.

West Salem High School 1

Posted March 17, 2010
I am a student at West Salem High I am new here but ever since i walked in the door i have been ridiculed by students even teachers, the acedemics are terrible , the only thing emphasized in the school is sports and mechanic work for two year college along with art classes if you want to go above and beyond without ridicule and the immense amount of racism exemplified within this school district then i highly suggest finding a different school .written by a tormented west salem student Who just wants to get an education so i can go to Med. School. ( Please excuse my grammer Im in a big hurry because, go figure, Im in school right now).

West Salem High School 3

Posted March 11, 2010
The small size of the school and small class sizes are definitely a benefit. However if you want to be above average and are planning on going on to a good college I would not recommend this school. The fact that this school doesn't offer AP classes will put you behind your peers if you attend a competitive university. Besides the fact that there are no AP classes the science program is pretty good but the math program is definitely lacking in the fact that calculus is not even offered. Here are a list of classes that are not offered but should be at West Salem High School: any AP classes, calculus, statistics, year long economics and psychology, more than one foreign language, advanced biology, a physics class that teaches things beyond very basic algebra. Overall I feel this school puts to much emphasis on sports and not enough on academics.

Posted April 30, 2009
I left this school and entered college feeling prepared to take on anything. The school has so many unique courses to offer that many schools do not. The atmosphere was always fun and inviting. Great school!!

West Salem High School 1

Posted January 15, 2009

Posted September 28, 2007
West Salem High School has done a great job in preparing my children for college. I would highly recommend sending your kids here.

Posted December 07, 2006
- a former student
West Salem High School did an amazing job preparing me for college. Although they may not offer AP classes, the higher level math and sciences are just as good. The chemistry and calculus classes I am taking in college are reviews of what I learned in high school. I actually feel that my teachers from West Salem did a better job explaining things than my professors have done so far. If I had not taken them in High School, I would not be doing nearly as well. I can not think of one teacher who is bias towards groups. Every school in this area is having budget cuts. And obviously they are going to keep the activities that there is more of a demand for - that only makes sense. I highly recommend this school and will most likely have my own children go there if possible.

West Salem High School 2

Posted August 13, 2006
This isn't a great school for anyone who wants to go above and beyond the average. It does offer many oppurtunities for music and theater but the most emphasis is put on sports. As a student I've been told to get involved and be well rounded by joining sports. The other more scholarly aspects are by and large ignored. However the small size of the school allows for students to easily become involved in any activity they choose, assuming the school deams it worthy enough to spend money on. Budget cuts seem to be the norm for the past couple of years. Overall the school is quite average if not worse when it comes to pure academic offereings. There are no AP classes and only a limited number of electives. However there is plenty of oppurtunities to get involved in activities but there is a definte lack of spirit and enthusiasm.

West Salem High School
490 N Mark St, West Salem, WI  54669
Last modified West Salem High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Salem High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top