Fort Caspar Academy

Public | K-6 | 444 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 4, 2014

We LOVE Fort Caspar Academy!!!! I currently have three children that attend and one more starting next year. They have a new principal this year who is amazing! My youngest child needs to work harder than my other two on his homework, but none of them have to "to much." Fort Caspar is a more challenging school than most, but the students still have fun. I believe there is a huge difference between fun, and fluff. Fort Caspar has fun, they do not have any fluff. They don't do 2 hour, nonsense assemblies on how to brush your teeth (I have sat through one at another school), they don't have parties for all the different holidays, and they don't celebrate meritocracy. They do have fun and it's in a more meaningful way. They have fewer parties and are more low key. Education comes first and it's a school, it should. I'm happy and my kiddo's are too. The children that succeed at Fort Caspar are the children who's parents are fully supportive. They understand our curriculum and work close with the school to insure that their child is getting all the support they can from both places and reinforcing what's being taught at school.

Posted January 30, 2014

Be warned stay away from this school. My daughter,who is dyslexic, went here when we first moved to casper in 2012. Her teacher, and I use this term in its loosest possible definition,told her in no uncertain terms she was too stupid to be in his class.we moved her to Dean Morgan for her next year and low and behold she's getting A's and B's

Posted December 12, 2012

Fort Caspar Academy is an amazing school. The teachers are compassionate, flexible, and exceptionally competent. The curriculum is rigid, and there is a strong expectation regarding homework. It IS a good school... the best in Natrona County. With that said... this school is NOT a good place for a child with Learning Disabilities such as ADHD/ADD, Dyspraxia, or Dysgraphia. There are multiple reasons for this observation. The school counselor ONLY knows how to test for ADHD. She does not know what Dyspraxia or Dysgraphia are, both of which are debilitating for a child at a school this demanding. Our son has all these conditions, and the school was not equipped nor knowledgeable enough about them to provide him the best care. They did not know how to fill out a 504 plan, he was bullied by his P.E. teacher, and it was a horrible experience. When the principal was approached about all this, with documentation in hand, he was speechless. He could not respond, and he did not offer solutions. I think because he had none. If your child has diagnosed or suspected Learning Disabilities, consider a different school within this district.

Posted August 2, 2012

My kids attend Fort Caspar Academy and LOVE it! My husband and I LOVE it too! Academically it is the best, the children perform well and learn quickly. But they are taught more than reading, writing and arithmetic, they are taught respect, service, morals, responsibility, ethics and more. The dress code isn't terribly strict, but it's nice to know that children will look decent when coming to school (no halter tops or pants hanging down around the knees here!). The office staff is friendly, the teachers are enthusiastic and work well with the parents, and the nurse (I saw some negative comments in older posts) is great. My daughter is constantly getting bumped and scraped on the playground (just clumsy) and I always get a note or a phone call to update me, even when it's nothing serious. The principal takes time to set up meetings if I'm ever concerned about anything. And my kids definitely have FUN in class! I could go on and on. We may be moving soon and the thing I am most upset about is that I have not been able to find ANYTHING that comes close to this amazing school. I may end up homeschooling!

Posted April 8, 2012

We have had children at this schools for 12 yrs. The education provided is 2nd to none. It is not for every family, but that is made abundantly clear at the parent meeting before school starts. Randall Larson is a fantastic principal, and the office staff is wonderful. Our 3 children that have and do attend this school enjoy every day. The teachers are amazing and the structure is how school should be. We have had nothing but positive experiences here. The study habits that children learn carry them through high school. Children at his school receive an education that costs thousands per year in other states. Take advantage of a rare opportunity to get this kind of schooling for free.

Posted April 4, 2012

This school is proud that it teaches a full grade level ahead of the other schools in the area which is fine for the students that have gone there all their school careers however it penalizes the matriculating students who have to work to catch up. They are proud to say they are a partnership of parents and teaching staff yet when a concerned parent calls they blame the parents and take no ownership of any issue raised laying blame solely at the parents feet. Despite the advanced curriculum or maybe because of it,the rest of the school operates in a form of chaos with no one knowing what is going on. Our child was hurt on the playground and despite going to the nurses office was never seen by the nurse and sent back to class with out medical attention.A office staffer with no medical training determining she was fine. The office staff is rude and argumentative. I am very disappointed this school's reputation has far exceeded the reality. Lastly the parental involvement they so proudly crow about has become a situation of too many cooks spoiling the soup.If your family can fit their rather narrow mold they will do well otherwise I would keep your children well away from here.

Posted December 18, 2010

This is our first year at FCA and I am thrilled at how well my son is doing in his Kinder class. His teacher gives 110% and I appreciate that they have strong values and hold their students to them. As other parents have stated, parental involvement is a must and I am very fortunate to be a stay-at-home-mom and can spend quite a bit of time with his class or participating in other departments. My son's homework is about 10 minutes a night and some reading. I have heard that it has become much less strict than when the school first opened (especially in reading previous reviews from earlier years). I can tell you that we as parents love this school, the staff and the expectations that are laid out before the first day. I am looking forward to my daughter attending next fall.

Posted December 6, 2010

this school is to rough on kid. i went here and cried on a daily basis.

Posted October 26, 2009

Fort Caspar represents the finest in public education. From the core values taught and displayed throughout the school to obligation of parents to be involved in their child's education. Schools are not babysitters at Fort Caspar. The parental involvement in so critical for the success of these students. Yes, they have homework. My first grader and I sit down everynight, and complete 1 or 2 math sheets and we read for 10 minutes. That is not overload for a child. The dress code is outstanding! It teaches the children self respect, it does not strip them of their individuality. To expect a young man to wear a belt and tuck in his shirt and wear his jeans around his waist is not what i would call strict and outrageous. As long as I am in Casper, WY my children will attend Fort Caspar Academy!

Posted September 29, 2009

We are new to Fort Caspar Academy. The school has a strong belief system, sets high expectations for the students and have teachers that are willing to assist parents in making their children successful. Yes, a lot is expected of children and parents, but isn't that what so many parents around the children are complaining about- lack of support, poor learning environments, and low expectations? Children have behavioral expectations but in no way is the atmosphere such that they don't have fun. That is ridiculous! As well, typically customer service is not a big part of the schools that I have experienced - this is not true at FCA. And they truly have a no tolerance policy for bullying.

Posted July 10, 2009

Fort Caspar Academy is an excellent school. Their consitant methods and high expectations create a unique atmosphere.

Posted September 19, 2008

I have many friends that ask what school do I choose for elementary in Casper (since I work in the school district)? Depending on the family I choose FCA. You must be willing as a parent to help your child learn self-discipline, schedule in the homework around after school activities, and learn to follow rules such as wear a belt. As a parent I have high expectations so Ft Caspar is the place I choose to send my kids! I believe that kids in other schools have behaviors in the classroom and it disrupt their learning. Ft Caspar expects the children to attend and learn, I like that! I also believe that while the kids are young and like to learn, you need to teach them everything you can.

Posted August 26, 2008

Although my child has done well academically at Fort Casper Academy.I feel like this school is rigid. The dress code is ridiculous, the kids do not have fun, and this school gives way too much homework!

Posted May 6, 2008

My oldest child had a wonderful experience at this school especially since she did not worry about excelling and just learned. She tested well above the standards and was on the principal honor roll almost every time. My youngest is not so lucky this year because of new teachers. Parent involvmet is especially needed when it comes to making sure that the child is learning and have to tutor when it is not being done at school to ensure their child is learning.

Posted February 25, 2008

The teachers at this school are good but they have unrealistic expectations. The homework load is ridiculous. The academics are too fast paced. This school has a lot of retention. They teach a grade ahead, which is why they have such high test scores. However some things require brain maturation for students to learn. I would not send my child to this school if you have more than two kids, kids who are not naturally motivated academically, a child past 2nd grade, and kids with just average intelligence. Girls seem to do better here than boys. The average student would get c's and d's at this school. This school expects all children to learn at the same pace. Their parental involvement cannot be beat, and the kids are very polite. Even though they do use the same curriculum every year, it does change slightly. Kids don't have fun here.

Posted October 21, 2007

I have two children at Fort Caspar Academy who love to go to school and love to learn. I chose Ft. Caspar for them for many reasons. I love the curriculum which provides a strong foundation for learning and is consistent K-6. The curriculum does not change every year to meet current trends and therefore allows both teachers and students to become proficient in the teaching/learning process. I also love that my children and their classmates are taught respect for themselves, their teachers and fellow students, and there is no tolerance for disrespect on any level. Finally, the discipline policy allows every child to learn without distractions, and allows me as a parent to to be 100% involved in the discipline of my own children. It's a fabulous environment to learn in, and your child need not be brilliant, only love to learn.

Posted September 21, 2007

If you want your child to succeed academically FCA is the school to send them to. Children are also taught respect and self discipline.

Posted September 14, 2007

We moved our child from another Casper school, in the middle of last year. He was in 2nd grade. We felt so welcomed because everyone is so friendly! Since Ft. Caspar is academically so far ahead of other schools in Casper, he had a lot of catching up to do. He rose to the occasion, and did very well! He is where he needs to be this year, and so far it has been a great year! We are amazed how much he has learned at this school! The teachers are awesome, really care about the kids, and love their jobs! We haven't had any problems with the dress code or homework load. The parent involvement is amazing! The discipline policy is strict, and the children rise to the expectations! They are there to learn, but also have fun! We wouldn't go back to any other school in this district!

Posted September 10, 2007

If I could give this school '0' stars I would. Despite the fact that my child did well academically, we were frustrated by the regular 'belt checks' (due to the dress code) and unreasonable expectations of the teachers.

Posted May 9, 2007

I would choose to have my child at no other school, than Fort Caspar Academy. Superior school!

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2011.

80 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 Wyoming administered the Proficiency Assessments for Wyoming Students (PAWS) in reading, writing and math to students in grades 3 through 8 and 11, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 11. PAWS tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wyoming. The goal is for all students score at or above the proficient level.

The state average for Math was 82% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 75% in 2011.

40 students were tested at this school in 2011.

The state average for Math was 82% in 2012.

50 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2012.

50 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 86% in 2011.

50 students were tested at this school in 2011.

n/a

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2012.

n/a

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2011.

20 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students94%

Non-migrant81%
Full Academic Year83%
Non-Full Academic Year63%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Wyoming Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students91%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A37%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4100 West 38th St