By Bruce Johnson
1. Encourage your child to ask questions about what they are reading. Also encourage your child to ask questions, even it they don’t pertain to what they are currently reading. The question and answer may be helpful in later reading.
2. Ask questions before, during, and after the reading. Try to connect the reading to events in the child’s life as much as possible.
3. Ask questions before the reading. Preview the story. Look at the cover, and look at the pictures. Make some predictions.
4. Stop and ask questions in the middle of the reading. Try to relate to the text.
5. When reading a chapter book, when finished reading for one session, stop and summarize what was read. Before reading the next time, use that same summary to remember and reconnect with the text. This will boost comprehension for the new reading.
6. Ask open-ended questions. These are questions that don’t have one-word answers. Questions that begin with why or how often yield good answers.
7. Make as many connections as you can. Make some text-to-self connections. Try to see how the book you are reading relates to you. How is the main character like you or someone you know? These connections help to improve comprehension.
8. Play an “I am thinking” game. Say: “I am thinking about someone in the story who helps the cat. Who am I thinking about?” Continue to give simple clues until the answer is discovered.
9. Share ideas about the funniest and most interesting characters.
10. Be ready to go to another source for more information.
Sign up for our newsletter and we'll send you more
insights to help you help your child succeed.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.