In this activity your child learns about his neighborhood.
What you’ll need
- Pen or pencil
- Crayons (optional)
- Clip board (optional)
Here’s how to do it
Discuss with your child what a neighborhood is. A neighborhood is a community located within a city, town or suburb. A neighborhood is a place where people live, work and play. Talk about what’s in your neighborhood — the types of buildings, houses, stores etc. Ask questions such as:
- Is there a school in our neighborhood?
- Do we have playgrounds or parks?
- Why do we have parks?
- What kinds of trees are in our neighborhood?
- Is there public transportation, like buses or trains?
- Do all the houses look the same in our neighborhood?
- Is there a hospital, fire department or police station in our neighborhood?
Walk around your neighborhood and ask your child what she sees. Write down her observations. When you return home go over the list of what she saw and have her draw a picture of her favorite parts of the neighborhood.