Healthy snacks help kids re-energize throughout their active day. Make sure the portion size is small so the snack will not interfere with meals. Enjoy some of these healthy snack ideas:
- Sliced fresh fruit served with low-fat cottage cheese or low-fat yogurt
- Whole wheat bread sticks, baked tortilla chips or baked pita chips to dip in guacamole or hummus
- Cut raw vegetables to dip in hummus or low-fat ranch dressing
- Apple slices with sliced cheese or peanut butter
Try out these insect-inspired snacks. Your kids will take pleasure in making and eating these healthy treats!
Ants on a Log
- 2 celery sticks
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter or cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons raisins
Cut the ends off of the celery sticks. Fill the center of the celery with peanut butter or cream cheese (logs). Press the raisins (ants) gently into the top of the peanut butter or cream cheese.
- 2 red apples
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or cream cheese
- 8 thin pretzel sticks
Slice the apples in half and remove the cores. Place each apple half flat side down on a plate. Apply a dab of peanut butter or cream cheese on to the back of each apple half. Stick raisins onto the dabs for spots and eyes. Stick three pretzels on each side of the apple to make the legs. Stick two pretzels into the apple to make the antennae.