Answering these questions will help you determine when your child is ready for camp:
- What is your child’s age? Children under age 7 may not adjust easily to being away from home. Consider the day camp experience to prepare them for a future overnight camp.
- How did your child become interested in camp? Does your child talk about camp and camp activities on a sustained basis? How much persuasion is necessary from you?
- Has your child had positive overnight experiences away from home? Visiting relatives or friends? Were these separations easy or difficult?
- What does your child expect to do at camp? Learning about the camp experience ahead of time allows you to create positive expectations.
- Are you able to share consistent and positive messages about camp? Your confidence in a positive experience will be contagious.