By GreatSchools Staff
Preschoolers find wonder in so many places, but they seem to be especially drawn to animals and their antics. Parents also reveal their favorite classics like Harold and the Purple Crayon and new takes on bedtime stories. These books are sure to keep your little ones engaged and inspired:
• The Pigeon books by Mo Willems. This series about a persistent pigeon draws in young children by making the bird’s adventures (and hilarious tantrums) relatable. A fun read for both parents and preschoolers.
• How Do Dinosaurs books by Jane Yolen. Yolen is one of the most prolific children’s writers of our time, with titles for kids in preschool through fifth grade. This series is a proven hit with the under-6 set. From How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? to How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms? these books are sure to delight.
• It's Okay to Be Different by Todd Parr. As your youngster starts noticing the world around him, he’ll begin questioning why things are different. GreatSchools parents recommend this book to help children learn about — and accept — a diversity of people and situations.
• Yummy Yucky by Leslie Patricelli. Learning what is and isn’t OK to put in your mouth is an important part of growing up. Burgers? Yummy! Boogers? Yucky! Parents love Yummy Yucky for its humorous take on the subject and simple but colorful illustrations.
• Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson. Many of us will remember imaginative Harold from our own childhoods. These books about an artistic little boy, with true-to-life illustrations, have withstood the test of time and are a must-have for every child’s collection.
• Good Night Our World books, various authors. Leave the “great green room” behind and expand your child’s bedtime repertoire with these wonderful stories that take place in different cities and states around the country.
Have your own book recommendations? Add them to the Parent Picks list!
Sign up for our free newsletter and we'll send you
more just like it every week.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to complete your registration.
Great work! Only one more step. Now we just need you to verify your email address. Please click on the link in the email we just sent you to submit your review.
Please click on the link in the verification email we just sent you to complete your change of email address.
Whoops! It looks like we still need to verify your email. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the e-mail? Click the button below and we'll send you a new one.
Thanks for registering. Welcome to GreatSchools, the largest online community committed to improving educational outcomes through parental involvement.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! You haven't verified your email address yet. To do so, please click on the link in the email we sent you. Can't find the email? Click the button below to receive a new one.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
For principals and school officials, we offer a special Enhanced School Profile (ESP) which allows you to update and add information about your school, as well as respond to reviews. If you are a school official, click Continue to start.
Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for your comment to be posted to our site. While you're here, we'd like to invite you to fill out a survey on your school's programs, activities, and extracurriculars. It only takes a few minutes and will help parents get a full picture of your school.
Get started now! You have successfully registered and can now start updating your Official School Profile. The information you provide is extremely valuable in helping parents and students learn more about your school, so thanks for taking the time!
Thank you for registering as a school leader. We just need to verify your email address. We've sent you an email - please click on the link in that message to get started editing your school's information!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.