By GreatSchools Staff
With fewer hours in the day and a lot less sunshine, winter can be a time when accomplishing even ordinary tasks seems like a challenge. But that doesn't mean parents have to forgo teaching altogether. To set your childrens' math wheels spinning, GreatSchools presents these fun but unusual activities with a seasonal theme.
1. Look to the table below for help imagining a winter scene. (Feel free to change the places you visit or the ways you act them out.)
2. Call your children over and explain you'll be going on a "hike."
3. Prepare for the excursion by donning the appropriate imaginary clothing. If your kids look at you like a straitjacket might be the most appropriate choice, just keep up the act and encourage them to participate. "You'd better put on an extra pair of socks so your feet don't get cold. Do you want to wear the blue scarf or the red one with green polka dots?"
4. As you begin the hike, pay attention to the five senses and bring the wintry world alive by commenting on them:
5. Be flexible. If your children see a wolf, just go with it.
6. Have fun, but remember to practice those prepositions — try to include these words as often as seems reasonable.
7. Reserve the snow cave — and hot chocolate — as a reward for the end of your hike.
|Phrases to practice||Imaginary place or object
||How to act it out
|on||Frozen lake||Slipping or sliding with feet|
|under||Fallen tree||Wiggle on your belly|
|between||Giant icicles or ice walls||Suck in your stomach and squeeze through|
|in front of||A huge, rolling snowball||Run|
|behind||A sleeping polar bear||Tip-toe quietly|
|over||Snowy mountain||Trudge up and over|
|next to||Rabbit’s burrow||Peek in to see what's there|
|through||The legs of a herd of moose or reindeer||Crawl|
|in||Snow cave||Sit and enjoy a hot chocolate|
Sign up for our free newsletter and we'll send you
more just like it every week.
Thank you! You will begin to receive newsletters from us shortly.
Thanks for verifying your updated email address.
Oops! That email verification link has expired. Please click the button below to receive a new one.
Create an account to submit your answers.
Sign in with an existing GreatSchools account or using Facebook:
Your review has been posted to GreatSchools.
Share with friends! Post your opinion of on Facebook.
Welcome to GreatSchools!
Thanks! We just sent you an email – please click on the link in the email to post your answers.
Get timely updates for , including performance data and recently posted user reviews.