This book is fun to make and will encourage your child’s writing and artistic skills.
What you’ll need
- Construction paper
- Crayons, markers or colored pencils
- Glue stick
- Writing utensil
How to do it
Have your child write a story or use a story he has already written to transfer to this pop-up book. You can also have your child write sentences to describe the pictures he creates on the pages. Younger children can make one pop-up page and write a word or a sentence to describe the pop-up image. You can make the pop-up pages ahead of time or have your child make them with your guidance.
To make the pages:
- Fold the construction paper in half horizontally.
- In the center of the folded edge cut two parallel slits about two inches long to make a tab.
- Open the paper and gently pull the tab forward.
- Use a ruler and a pencil to draw lines in front of the tab where the text will be written.
- Have your child write the text for his story on the lines.
- Have your child decorate the background of the page behind the tab.
- On a separate piece of paper have your child draw a picture and then cut it out and glue it onto the tab.
- To add more pages glue the bottom of one page to the top of another. Be careful not to put glue on the pop-up tabs.
- Make the book cover by folding a larger sized piece of construction paper over the pop-up pages and glue it to the end pages.
- Decorate the cover and write the title, and the author and illustrator of the story.
Add more than one tab to the page to have more illustrations pop out! Make pop-up cards and send them as thank you cards, invitations or birthday cards.