Alabaster, AL

Posted September 19, 2013
i attended TMS in the 2012-2013 school year i honestly did not like it very much i had very few teachers who i would considered good instructors some would give us work and sit down and get on their phone the whole time i do not recommend this school i was voted on of the smartest people in my grade and got many awards but honestly everything was just too easy they practically gave us the answers all the time.

Thompson Middle School 5

Posted August 08, 2013
After reading all these comments, it surprises me this school got a 8 out of ten stars. There is a lot of whining going on by parents blaming the school for something they need to take responsibility for their kids. If you do not know that your kid is failing a class, YOU need to keep up with the grades. You will not always be in your child's life so you better step away now so they can learn for themselves!!!

Thompson Middle School 4

Posted May 24, 2013
My child attended TMS for the first time this past school year. It was a rough year for us full of lots of struglges adjusting to middle school and the strict requirements. However, the teachers, principals, and support staff were phenomenal. Any time I emailed them with questions, I got a very quick response - and they weren't short and sweet. They went above and beyond to do all they could to help my child be successful. One of the teachers from another team even provided tutoring services in the evenings to help explain the items that were taught in class. The only negative issue I encountered this year involved a teacher who was out on maternity leave. In this particular class, the teacher was out for the entire first semester of school. During this time, they had 3 substitutes. Each one had different rules, expectations, and teaching styles - not to mention their general approach to the students varied greatly. Because of this, the kids struggled, even the ones who had never had issues with this subject previously. In light of this though, the staff continued to work with my child to try to overcome the issues related to this.

Posted March 20, 2013
My son became a struggling student after an accident/illness forced him to miss many days and get behind. Prior to that, he was an honor student his entire life. Many attempts were made to reach the teacher only to get no response. My son was failing, and she did not care. I finally went to the principal in office at the time and got a screaming phone call from the teacher angry that I "went over her head to tell on her to her principal". It wasn't long after that my son became a homeschooler. No regrets about pulling him out.

Posted March 29, 2012
My experience with this school has not been good. When my oldest went to this school, it was like pulling teeth to get a meeting with the teachers. When we did get a meeting, it was very obvious that they didn't care about our concerns over his grades. We practically begged them to help us to help him do better, but they didn't seem to want to bothered since our son was passing.... barely. Although we also asked them to notify us if he continued to do badly, they never did. There is NO way that our youngest will be in this school system - I'll home school before I send him to a school where the teachers don't care if the students pass or not.

Posted December 29, 2011
My son was failing 8th grade math for the entire 1st nine weeks and no one bothered to notify me.. now we are trying to play catch up to get him to a passing grade. the teacher advised me there are only 2 more major grade assingments and he must do well on both to pass. the thing is even she told me he wants to do well in her class so it's not like he's being defiant and not turning assingments in or studying.. so why couldn't she give me the benefit of the doubt and alert me that my son was struggling. now he's been pulled out of extra curicular activities and can not attend assemblies. He was humiliated and removed from an assembly he didnt know he wasn't supposed to attend. I am very un happy wth TMS they should be required to notify a parent when a child has a d D or lower. and with enough time that you can assist your child in achieving a passing grade.

Thompson Middle School 3

Posted May 10, 2010
Last year I was an 8th grader at TMS. I have been an all A student all my life and take all advanced/honors classes. It is true that the teachers mostly only help the 'smart' kids which is horrible. The teachers gave a ton of work and I was always stressed out. It felt like I was already in the upper classes in high school. I was always up late doing homework which I would start about 4 every afternoon. They are very strict on dress code it is insane!!! They care more about dress code than grades. The popular kids like the jocks and cheerleaders were always favorites and got everything they wanted. Don't get me wrong, I have some friends who are the Popular Kids, but I hated how they were treated differently.

Thompson Middle School 0

Posted September 30, 2009
The teachers and staff are the best !

Thompson Middle School 0

Posted September 29, 2009
The Principal is just awesome!! She is very involved in all aspects of the school.

Posted July 29, 2008

Thompson Middle School
1509 Kent Dairy Rd, Alabaster, AL  35007
Last modified Thompson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thompson Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top