Posted October 13, 2014
Goldsmith Schiffman is a fantastic school. I currently have a 5th grader and had two others attend as well. The teachers are excellent. In hard times they are supportive and forward thinkers. Children needing more challenging academia have great options. I have always felt the school is very fortunate to have staff, admin, and teachers that work together and support each other in the common goal of creating successful students. PTA is actively engaged working to help in the school and community to strengthen the students learning and future. Being apart of a school where all the players work together like a team is a dream come true. GO GSES!

Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary School 3

Posted September 24, 2014
School is just a couple of years old. It rates and scores very high for now, but my child has been there about three years and the quality of the teachers and education has completely "tanked" over the past couple years. I blame this mostly on the Huntsville school board which has forced so many changes down the throats of the school system. The previous principal was stellar and set the bar unbelievably high. Unfortunately Huntsville school board decided to move him to another school. The school is still above the curve, but that is mostly because of the parents. Great neighborhood and great parents/kids for the most part. Unfortunately the school board has jumped on the "Common Core" bandwagon, which I am so far not impressed with what so ever. I can see now first hand that it is a very bad idea/system.

Posted August 16, 2014
GSES has to be one of the best schools in the country! Teachers and parents work together for the good of all students. The teachers go above and beyond to help all students achieve, whether that means helping a struggling student or finding a way to further advance a high performing student. There are many events to help build our sense of community. The movie nights are our favorite! My husband and I both work full time, but are kept in the loop through e-mails, photos of our kids sent to us, and phone calls. There's no place we'd rather be!

Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary School 1

Posted July 30, 2014
This school is just too much.. We were at this school for a year and moved to another school because we were treated as if we were not good enough to be here because both of us parents work and are not constantly at the school. And we do not see fit to be spending money on something every month. This school is more about MONEY than anything. As for parent involvement.. I'm involved in my child's life, but that does not mean I should be at the school weekly nor should I be forcing my child to sit down with homework for 2 hours per day. If we are doing that much homework daily then I'm not sure why I even send my child to school. There is a such thing as too much parent involvement. Kids go to school to learn academics and social behaviors, as well as to become independent, not to have their parents in the classroom every day.

Posted July 03, 2014
This school is among the best, if not the best in the city of Huntsville for elementary schools. Both of our children have attended this school. All of the teachers we've had for both of our students have been VERY good. They've truly cared about our children and their academics. The (about 600) students are friendly and welcoming and the parents work very hard to provide extra supplies, clubs and activities for the whole school to support the teachers and staff. They contribute with time and financial support and we have traditionally had 100% PTA participation. The almost new facility is spotless and well-kept. The principal, Mrs. Mason was new this year. She does a fine job of leading. Almost all the students have laptop computers they take home and the younger students have access to IPads and other computers at school. One of our favorite events is called Green Fling. It's put on in the spring mostly by parents (more than 100 volunteers) and is supported by the teachers and staff. It's an environmental learning event since our school is walking distance to a nature preserve. FANTASTIC school! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. We are a Blue Ribbon school.

Posted August 26, 2013
New to this school, but so far we have been welcomed with open arms! The new principals have been so sweet in the mornings and helping out in the car pool line! Love it so far!

Posted August 26, 2013
GSES is simply put the Gold Standard for Huntsville City Schools. Since its inception, GSES has led the system in academic growth and achievement. Hundreds of PTA volunteers are actively involved in supporting the academic goals of the school as well as providing the needed funds and organization to create a climate of openness and community involvement. The teachers are simply stated - the best. They have been handed an ever changing array of curriculum demands over the past few years and have met each challenge with overwhelming success. They have created a unique GSES culture that encourages each child to reach their personal "gold standard". The educators and staff can be seen in every daily activity using wisdom and guidance to help our children grow into active members of the community. Those who choose to use the anonymous perceived power of the keyboard and social media to speak ill of a group of people working hard for our children should actively plug into the school, meet the principal one-on-one, sit down with their child's teacher, volunteer with the PTA, and learn what the GSES Gold Standard truly stands for. I wouldn't want my children at any other school!

Posted August 25, 2013
GSES is a young school (3 and a half years), but is rapidly becoming a leader in our district. The school is number 2 out of all schools, all grades in our district, and number 1 in elementary. The school has strived to create a true community between students, parents, teachers and administration. Because the parents have volunteered to run so many activities, the teachers and administrators are free to concentrate on the school day. Teachers hands are somewhat tied because of No Child Left Behind and the Common Core, but they try to be as creative as they can. Teachers are approachable and easy to communicate with. Administrators and staff are equally friendly and helpful. The afterschool programs run from science and language to chess, art and drama. GSES is the base for the districts Earthscope, they also have offered 15 violin lessons to each grade, have a music and art class, PE each day. My one complaint would be the limited recess time, which once again is more the Common Core's fault than the schools.

Posted August 25, 2013
Goldsmith Schiffman Elementary School is amazing. Teachers care about every student!!! My child has been there since it opened and will finish next year. This is the best elementary school in the area!!! I highly recommend it to all parents looking for a great school!

Posted August 24, 2013
I am a parent of two students here, one K and one in 3rd, as well as a former teacher. I have been impressed by the level of dedication and the high expectations demonstrated by all of my daughters' teachers. Like every school, you will find teachers who are newer, less experienced, or less dedicated. However, every teacher we have had has gone above and beyond for my 3rd grader who reads on a high school level. Wonderful staff in the office, they know me by sight, and I call them by first name. As for the principal issue: we have had a new principal for two months over the summer and she has actively been running the school with students present for ONE WEEK. Mr. Scott, our original principal, was indeed dynamic and beloved. Our new principal, Mrs. Mason, comes to us with wonderful reviews from teachers who have worked for her before, and having met her myself, I find her to be friendly, engaged, and motivated. Take the review below as you will, and I'm sorry for that person's experience. My family has enjoyed and been impressed thoroughly by GSES. As far as schools in the area go, this is one of the best Huntsville has to offer, with a great community and high parent involvement.

Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary School
1210 Taylor Rd, Big Cove, AL  35763
Last modified Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top