PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

As a recent graduate of Advent, I can easily say that the curriculum, community, and teachers have prepared me for not only high school, but life beyond it as well. Yes, at times the curriculum and homework was difficult, but in the end it benefited me tremendously. I have heard complaints from several parents and students claiming it is too difficult and there is too much homework, however I strongly disagree. My teachers at Advent were hard on me, however they challenged me and pushed me to accomplish things I never knew I was capable of. They have taught me life lessons that run much deeper than math and science. With their help, I have learned what it means to assume a leadership role and to hold myself accountable for my mistakes. Along with the teachers, the arts program would have to be the most phenomenal part of Advent. The arts were a big part of my life both during the academic day with Music, French, and Art class and afterwards with Choir, Ballet, Piano, and numerous other after school activities. Fine arts are strongly encouraged which I find is what truly sets Advent apart from other private schools. I am thankful for having the opportunity to branch out and try new things through the arts program, and probably wouldn't be an accomplished piano, ukulele, and guitar player along with a French enthusiast if it weren't for Advent. Choosing a school for your child can be a difficult decision, but I can guarantee that Advent will provide your child with some of the best teachers, curriculum, and community you can possibly find.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

No matter how old I get, I will never forget the teachers I was lucky enough to get close with at Advent. In fact, they are more of mentors rather than teachers to me. They are all phenomenal in the classroom and know what they are talking about. They were all willing to use their spare time to help me and other students in a heartbeat. If I was ever in a time of trouble or simply needed someone to talk to, there were certain teachers whom I felt comfortable going to in such times of need. The bonds I have formed with some of my teachers are so incredibly special and I will always cherish them.

Amount of homework: Agree

For me personally, I didn't think the amount of homework was over the top. While at times it could be a little overwhelming, it has never been something to keep me up until midnight if I use my time wisely and productively. Outside of school, I have always had multiple activities especially in my last two years at the school. I played volleyball competitively and ended up staying in the gym for at least 12 hours a week which left little time for school work. At first this was hard, however I quickly learned to manage my time efficiently and to get assignments out of the way during study halls, breaks, and any other extra time. Some may disagree and say the homework is too overwhelming, however I believe that it helped me understand the material fully and if you manage your time wisely, it isn't much of an issue.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Advent sticks strongly to the honor pledge, "On my honor as a student, I have neither given nor received aid on this work." Cheating is not tolerated, and this code is taken very seriously as we must sign each quiz or test taken on our honor pledge. Every student is given a fair chance. If one doesn't understand the material to an extent that he/she is ready to be tested on it, every single teacher is willing to sit down and have a one on one discussion about the topics to make sure everyone is on the same page.

I have two children that attend Advent. From the first days of their PreKindergarten years, my children have experienced a nurturing environment both physically, mentally, and emotionally. Over the last four years, Advent is changing to better meet the demands of their learners. They are incorporating 21st Century skills, while keeping their traditional learning model. Teachers are what make this school special. I am excited to see how my children will excel because of their education at Advent.

I have two children that attend Advent and we have been at this school for going on 8 years. Advent is not only a stellar academic education, but provides superb instruction in music, arts, and foreign language as well. The faculty and staff are dedicated, caring and committed to educating the whole child, recognizing that a child's success is based on more than just achieving high test scores. There is also wonderful community among Advent families. We are so pleased with our experience and highly recommend it to anyone!

I only recommend this school if your perception of a great private school is one with among the highest tuition in the area. What I observed over a two year period: (1) teachers are rigid with old school thinking and methods (2) little to no collaboration between teachers / disciplines (3) I personally observed in-fighting / squabbling among teachers and outright lying by office staff (4) school has a "no news is good news philosophy (5) staff customer service is non-existent (6) doesn't have a PTO, consistent with their other philosophy "it's our way or the highway" but does have two parent fund raising organizations (7) Advent's emphasis is on liberal v. math/science education (8) as compared to other private schools in area homework is tremendous - indicative of old schooling v. in-school teaching (9) Advent doesn't/can't boast its students proceed to mostly 9th grade AP classes as other private schools can. (10) Advent Episcopal School's greatest proficiency is the ability to sell itself as something it isn't; a quality private school that's a good/great value as compared to tuition. Look at the retention rate and you'll see many parents eventually figure out it isn't.

Excellent School - Outstanding Music, Art, Science & Math Programs. The teachers are wonderful at all levels. My son attended this school after leaving the Homewood School System and he was no where near ready for this school. I held him back a year in order for him to get on their level and he is doing excellent. It was like they opened up a whole new way of thinking for him and I'm proud to say that he attends the Advent. I believe that every child that is able should 'Share in the ADVENTure!'

Advent offers a wonderful balance between high performance expectations and genuine caring for the children. The academics are rigorous but the teachers are committed to each child's success. The music program and the math team are exceptional. The science program is solid and engaging. Parents are very involved, and there is great sense of community among the families. I believe it is the best k - 8 education, public or private, in the state.

Great academically and wonderful student/teacher ratio. Wish that the children had more physical activities. This is a hard school for younger boys especially because there is so much time spent on worksheets and sitting at a desk. Each class needs a P.E. break indoors when weather is bad. Oftentimes, they spend that time remaining in the classroom and get 'free-time'. They are a hyper ball of nerves upon leaving on those days! Also, French instead of the more practical Spanish is taught as the primary second language. Not very practical in today's world!

Last modified Advent Episcopal Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8