PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted June 29, 2016
As a recent graduate of Advent, I can easily say that the curriculum, community, and teachers have prepared me for not only high school, but life beyond it as well. Yes, at times the curriculum and homework was difficult, but in the end it benefited me tremendously. I have heard complaints from several parents and students claiming it is too difficult and there is too much homework, however I strongly disagree. My teachers at Advent were hard on me, however they challenged me and pushed me to accomplish things I never knew I was capable of. They have taught me life lessons that run much deeper than math and science. With their help, I have learned what it means to assume a leadership role and to hold myself accountable for my mistakes. Along with the teachers, the arts program would have to be the most phenomenal part of Advent. The arts were a big part of my life both during the academic day with Music, French, and Art class and afterwards with Choir, Ballet, Piano, and numerous other after school activities. Fine arts are strongly encouraged which I find is what truly sets Advent apart from other private schools. I am thankful for having the opportunity to branch out and try new things through the arts program, and probably wouldn't be an accomplished piano, ukulele, and guitar player along with a French enthusiast if it weren't for Advent. Choosing a school for your child can be a difficult decision, but I can guarantee that Advent will provide your child with some of the best teachers, curriculum, and community you can possibly find.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 29, 2016
I'd really like to give an enormous thank you to the Upper School French teacher at Advent. She is honestly the most compassionate person I have ever met. She has always wanted the best for me, and cares for me as a person much more than just doing well in her class. Whenever I was in trouble, she was always there and willing to help me get back on my feet, whether it be an issue inside or outside of school. She taught be to be a leader and pushed me out of my comfort zone to use the voice of authority I never knew I was capable of. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be the person I am today and I certainly would not have gotten in to my top choice for high school.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 29, 2016
No matter how old I get, I will never forget the teachers I was lucky enough to get close with at Advent. In fact, they are more of mentors rather than teachers to me. They are all phenomenal in the classroom and know what they are talking about. They were all willing to use their spare time to help me and other students in a heartbeat. If I was ever in a time of trouble or simply needed someone to talk to, there were certain teachers whom I felt comfortable going to in such times of need. The bonds I have formed with some of my teachers are so incredibly special and I will always cherish them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 29, 2016
For me personally, I didn't think the amount of homework was over the top. While at times it could be a little overwhelming, it has never been something to keep me up until midnight if I use my time wisely and productively. Outside of school, I have always had multiple activities especially in my last two years at the school. I played volleyball competitively and ended up staying in the gym for at least 12 hours a week which left little time for school work. At first this was hard, however I quickly learned to manage my time efficiently and to get assignments out of the way during study halls, breaks, and any other extra time. Some may disagree and say the homework is too overwhelming, however I believe that it helped me understand the material fully and if you manage your time wisely, it isn't much of an issue.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 29, 2016
The advanced curriculum at Advent can be difficult at times. However, nobody would get anywhere if there wasn't anyone pushing and challenging them. All the teachers at Advent only want what is best for you. They all want you to be the best you can be and while some may be harder than others, every single one of them truly cares about all of his/her students. Through my experiences at Advent, I have faced countless amounts of difficult projects, assignments, and material, however it has helped me so much in the long run. One of the most valuable lessons I have learned in my time at Advent is you never know what you're capable of until someone pushes you outside of your comfort zone. If you want your child to be resilient, determined, and motivated, Advent is definitely the place for you.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 29, 2016
Having started Advent in 4K, it is safe to say that I have developed some strong relationships over the years with the people in my class. Advent is a small community which helped teach me what it meant to always have each others' backs. Each graduating class always forms an unbreakable bond as we have seen each other through our best and our worst. The golden rule, "treat others the way you'd want to be treated," is highly valued at Advent. Seeing it on the wall of almost every class room has really made it stick in my brain over the years.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 29, 2016
Advent sticks strongly to the honor pledge, "On my honor as a student, I have neither given nor received aid on this work." Cheating is not tolerated, and this code is taken very seriously as we must sign each quiz or test taken on our honor pledge. Every student is given a fair chance. If one doesn't understand the material to an extent that he/she is ready to be tested on it, every single teacher is willing to sit down and have a one on one discussion about the topics to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Posted May 13, 2015
I have two children that attend Advent. From the first days of their PreKindergarten years, my children have experienced a nurturing environment both physically, mentally, and emotionally. Over the last four years, Advent is changing to better meet the demands of their learners. They are incorporating 21st Century skills, while keeping their traditional learning model. Teachers are what make this school special. I am excited to see how my children will excel because of their education at Advent.

Posted November 21, 2014
I have two children that attend Advent and we have been at this school for going on 8 years. Advent is not only a stellar academic education, but provides superb instruction in music, arts, and foreign language as well. The faculty and staff are dedicated, caring and committed to educating the whole child, recognizing that a child's success is based on more than just achieving high test scores. There is also wonderful community among Advent families. We are so pleased with our experience and highly recommend it to anyone!

Advent Episcopal Day School 1

Posted July 05, 2013
I only recommend this school if your perception of a great private school is one with among the highest tuition in the area. What I observed over a two year period: (1) teachers are rigid with old school thinking and methods (2) little to no collaboration between teachers / disciplines (3) I personally observed in-fighting / squabbling among teachers and outright lying by office staff (4) school has a "no news is good news philosophy (5) staff customer service is non-existent (6) doesn't have a PTO, consistent with their other philosophy "it's our way or the highway" but does have two parent fund raising organizations (7) Advent's emphasis is on liberal v. math/science education (8) as compared to other private schools in area homework is tremendous - indicative of old schooling v. in-school teaching (9) Advent doesn't/can't boast its students proceed to mostly 9th grade AP classes as other private schools can. (10) Advent Episcopal School's greatest proficiency is the ability to sell itself as something it isn't; a quality private school that's a good/great value as compared to tuition. Look at the retention rate and you'll see many parents eventually figure out it isn't.

2019 6th Ave N, Birmingham, AL  35203
Last modified Advent Episcopal Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8