Birmingham, AL

Posted January 31, 2014
The Altamont School is preparing me for college wonderfully! It is quite challenging at times, but I know in the long run it will help. I believe Altamont is one the best or the best school in Birmingham. We welcome all races into our community. ~Student

Posted December 13, 2013
The Altamont School has provided far and away the best high school experience anyone can ask. The students strike that delicate balance between intellectual quirkiness and people skills. Class sizes are luxuriously small--in my senior year, I have a class of one, a class of three, a class of five, and a couple classes of around twelve. The attention afforded to us by the faculty and staff is unparalleled, and the support network the school provides is phenomenal. And the resources...oh my god the resources. I've literally gone to school some days to find things in the Morning Report like "if anyone wants to dissect some human brains, meet in the bio lab." I have had two independent studies (I created my own course, got it approved/funded) in which UAB professors came to the school every week to oversee my experiments. About a solid half of my high school teachers have doctorates in their field--i'm not sure that's true of many colleges. Altamont does a fantastic job of providing for a student's need from 5th through 12th grade--for those of you with smaller children who are afraid of the high school-middle school mixing, DON'T BE!! Cannot say enough about this life-changing school

Posted June 17, 2013
Altamont is the greatest school I have ever gone to. When I'm there in class I feel so much love and acceptance from everyone. The teachers genially care about all of the students. They treat you like family. If you are a parent and are reading this consider sending your child to Altamont. Everyone finds heir place there.

Posted February 29, 2012
This is the best secondary education environment in Birmingham. Teachers and staff truly care about all aspects of the child and the education is exceptional. Each child is respected for their individuality and the students are very accepting of each other. Wonderful school community which embraces everyone.

Posted September 18, 2011
Sarah Whiteside is a wonderful principal and academician that permeates down to the whole staff. Altamont is a very special place that fosters the development of the "complete" child. I would recommend this school to anyone considering a top notch education for their child.

Posted May 28, 2011
Love this school!! Great teachers and board. the arts are important to everyone here, which is unusual but really appreciated! enough freedom to have fun but also learn responsibilities.

The Altamont School 2

Posted July 16, 2009
The academics are great. The teachers are amongst the best, however the administrative staff of this institution of 'learning' are absolutely horrible! Particularly the financial staff. Education is no longer the main focus of this once top-rate institution of learning; they are now more focused on courting those with a great amount of income and doing whatever is necessary to eliminate and force out those who are not as fortunate.

The Altamont School 3

Posted June 29, 2009
This school suffers severly with a lack of communication and polotics. The school has some great teachers left, but the majority now have no communication skills. The administration at the school needs to be reconsidered. The school has lost it's main focus, the students, and focuses on nothing but satisfying the parents in order to obtain their money and keep the school alive. The number of enrollments has saignifcantly dropped due to the sharp decline of excellance at this institute. It needs to change, or it is going to fail even more.

Posted January 02, 2009
The best voice my husband and I have made - was to send our daughter to Altamont. The teachers are all very dedicated to their jobs.

The Altamont School 0

Posted November 16, 2008
This is just about the best school in alabama! i love every aspect of it and hope that many more students will choose to attend Altamont.

The Altamont School