Parker High School

Public | 8-12

Posted April 27, 2010

I'am a parent who 's child attend school their and i never had a problem with anyone there at parker until now, my child is having a problem with a teacher whom name i can not say becase i fear for my child that the teacher wii fail this child,. I attrnd a pta meeting ine time there and it was worst ever, all they did was argue with one another like cats and dogs, when i left there i had the worst headahe ever, I hav never seen so manys adult argue like the adulk of that pta meeting.. There were so much vil in that class room that some of the parent and teacher got up and left, out of the three hour of that meeting nothing got done, this come my child will not attend parker next term, the teacher here have no respect for the principal.

Posted April 11, 2010

I am a senior at A.H.Parker High School. I will be graduating in May 2010. It has really been a pleasure attending Parker. Things hasn't always been good but they are getting better now. I love our new principal Dr. Bandyard. He is doing a wonderful job with the school. I don't think I would have picked anyone better.

Posted January 8, 2010

Parker High has a new principal he started this past fall, I must say he is doing a great job considering what the previous principal did the last 7 years. It will take time to get the school in order, the school is better. Parker was long over due for the principal who is there now. Much, much less altercations. But sometime, some staff members need to be replaced as well. There are some excellent instructors at Parker, however there are some who should not be teaching at the school because they are not in the best interest for the students. I am so glad he is at Parker because he has made a difference for the best, but there are some who want him removed {teachers}. Well you can`t and won`t please everybody but these students are our future it`s about time someone cares.

Posted October 5, 2009

Parker was the first and only Africaian American High school in Ala. for many years

Posted August 18, 2008

I wrote a message on here in 2005 when I was just entering Parker High School and I had some raw feelings about the school I mean i really let them out I said 'the school was bad and I would recommend that anyone go there' as I have passed through the levels of education at Parker High I have a completly different attitude on the subject, I would Just Like to say Parker High School is truly the one off the best High Schools not only ing the city of Birmingham, And the State of Alabama but all over the world, I have absolutly enjoyed my years here at Parker and I will truly and greatly miss the halls, classrooms, and people of the this great and Historical institution, and for the record I apoligize with all my heart for that message in 2005 I was rung & inmature!

Posted March 23, 2008

I am a parent of a student at parker high school I would like to start out with the quality of some of the teachers there. I think that they may have went to college and have degrees,but some of them to me don,t have that go the extra mile attitude I mean that at a time my child wasn,t doing so well no called me or sent me a note home telling me that there was problems in the class room they just gave him not so good of a grade without giving me any type of phone call concerning how he was doing in class.That tells me that there is a big gap between the parent,and teacher in communicating because to me this would solve a lot of issues.Communication is the key between parents,teachers this would prevent a child from ever becomming on the border line of failing.

Posted February 14, 2008

There`s no other high school I love as Parker High. I`am a sophmore currently enrolled at Parker High School and will be graduating in 2010 with HONORS. People always be talking about our school but there`s nothing wrong with Parker High Scool. I feel that parker is the best, and will always be the best. They say our teachers isn`t teaching, students are out of control. and the school is going down hill but thats a LIE.I feel like if you think parker is such a bad school why not fix the problems.When it comes to our teaching thats another story. Our teacher are teaching and its not up to them to make students want and learn thats up to the student. So to all the parents who are talking down on parker saying your child isn`t getting a Good well thats a lie your child must dosen`t want an education.

Posted February 13, 2008

I am very proud of the teaching ability and leadership of our great staff and I wouln't pick any school over the great Parker. I am currently a senior and I am proud to say I went to Parker, I graduated from Parker, and that I am a part of Parker's great legacy. It is a honor to attend a school with so much history. Most of our teachers grew up in some of our same conditions and they watch thier parents struggle to get them thrue school and to see that what ever they put their mind to they acheive, and that is what makes them so great they understand us and we understand them , and I can't wait until I start my family because I will keep my family history and black history growing God Bless Parker. Thanks.

Posted November 23, 2007

My name is Sonia Fowler. A proud student of Parker High School. I will be graduating in the year of 2010. It is a disgrace of how bad the school has gotten. Other students are hindering the ones who want to learn. We have recieved a new gym, but other schools have gotten new facilities. This is unfair to future students and students of today. But, no matter what I will still be apart of the thundering herd 100%.

Posted November 9, 2007

My daughter is currently in the 9th grade at Parker High School and is in the band. She enjoys being a part of the band, however, she is concerned for her safety at times. There are regular problems at the school with safety and alot of the children are out of control. If parents would teach their children to respect themselves as well as others, many of the problems we see with our youth would greatly improve. We cannot blame the principal, teachers, or the school for the condition that it is in. The work needs to begin at home. Encouraging education is extremely important, and unfortunately there are many parents that don't encourage their children to be the best that they can be. Let's pray for our children and encourage them to be successful in life.

Posted August 6, 2007

Hello, my name is Miss Seltzer I graduated from Parker High school in 2007. I must say that overall I enjoyed my time at the school. People like to say that Parker is such a bad school and the kids and teachers are bad. Well some of the kids are bad but that's not the schools fault. It's the parents job to teach their kids right from wrong. If the parents brought they're kids up right then maybe the teachers could spend more time teaching instead of having to discipline bad kids. And there are a few teachers who don't really have a desire to teach but you can't put the school down because of them. There are more good teachers that do an excellent job of teaching than bad ones . I love Parker and I wouldn't have wanted to go to any other school. Parker is great.

Posted May 31, 2007

I am currently a senior at parker and the school is so far so good... The teachers are not they show no intrest in the students more so of what thestudents are wearing...The only people i have seen that take care of business is mr shine and mrs fowlkes...Dont get me wrong the teachers are not all bad but the majority rules!

Posted April 10, 2006

I graduated fom Parker High School in 2005. I enjoyed Parker while I was their. The education was not bad at all, and all of the teachers were very nice and showed a lot of interest. I wouldn't pick no other school to graduate from.

Posted March 30, 2006

First Of all I have to say if I had a chioce I would not be here at Parker. This school do's not provid any type of good education, I truly wouldn't suggest this has a school for any child of any race or ethinic I wish them the Best of luck when I get out of Here.

Posted November 1, 2005

Hello My nmae is Brnadi N. Morris and I graduated from A.H.Parker high in the year 2003, and my experience at that point was wonderful. I enjoyed my classes, my teachers, and my peers. Parker has not went down, this school has lost of history and you have to wnat to learn in order for you to succeed. The teachers are wonderful people,from the choir on down to the P.E. coaches!I love Parker and I will never put my former school down, because of the other generation and there ability to learn but don't want to.home training starts at home, not at school! Give these kids and incentive to want to learn and succeed.

Posted August 29, 2005

My son has attended this school since the 10th grade. I am very impress with the counselors, they truly give their all. In regards to the teachers, it goes both ways, there are good and bad. Birmingham city schools are not getting the best teachers but that is not to say that we don't have good teachers. Some of the students at Parker are a challenge. Disrespectful and at times violent. I really think the Principal is trying to do a good job at the school. Parent participation is low, PTA only attempts to collect money and have a few nonproductive meetings. I don't even attend anymore, they really don't have any voice in the school system. Extracurricular activities are low but basically because of the budget. Our school system has no money. Where is the money? No school system should be better than the other. P.Jones

Posted August 3, 2005

Hi, My name is Ms.Brock and I have a god daughter who attends Parker. I personally feel that Parker is not offering the student the best curiculam that they are intitled to. Parker has changed to the upmost. You would think that since this was one of the first Black founded schools we would have so much to offer our young gifted students. We have a huge alumini, we must band together and get the teacher out who do not want to be here. Most teachers are here to just get a check and that shoulnt happen. We need teacher who loves and respect our children and who is willing to go that extra mile with all kids. Not just the one who dresses nice, or the one who is must popular or even the ones that is really intellegent. There focus should be on the kids. And not gossiping.

Posted July 31, 2005

I am currently a student at Parker High School. I feel that the school has a great atmosphere for learning. In my opinion if you come to school to learn nothing can stop you from learning.The knowledge is there you just have to seek it.The messages on this site from some of the parents are sort of true, but if some of the parents would discipline their children and instill in the that school is for learning the school would be better off. Then the teachers could concentrate on the students that want to learn and not the disruptive ones.

Posted July 11, 2005

My name is Mrs. Mitchell and my son and nephew go to A.H. Parker HIgh School.This school has went down since I graduated from Parker in 1988. It does seem like the teachers really don't care if the students learn or not. I know that a lot of the problem is do to a lack of good teachers that are left to teach students. There is no atmosphere of learning at Parker. This school really needs improving building wise it looks the same as it did when i went there. Please I beg the Board of Education do something quickly to this school before it falls under and they call this a historical site.

Posted June 13, 2005

Hi my name is Nekeshia S. Jones and I graduated from A.H. Parker High School in 2005. Parker is a great school the enviroment is great, the teachers are great, and the extracurricular activities are also great. For whom ever that say that our school is not a great school, they just need to home train their children and they won,t smoke, or cut class. I got a great education so can your children.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3 or 4

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama Reading and Mathematics Test (ARMT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math. The ARMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

All Studentsn/a

Proficient in Englishn/a
Migrantn/a
Not migrantn/a
Scale: % level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the Alabama Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 95% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 86% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 72% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Alabama used the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE) to test high school students in reading, math, language, biology and social studies. High school students must pass the AHSGE in order to graduate. The AHSGE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Alabama. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 98% in 2013.

Language

The state average for Language was 91% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 95% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 94% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 88% in 2013.

All Students84%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 92%N/A56%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options