No rating

St. Luke's Episcopal School

Private | PK-12 | 661 students

Our school is best known for its rigorous academic programs

Living in Mobile

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Posted October 1, 2013

My school is the only place I can see for my child. The teachers here care about every child and take so much extra time when a student needs it after class, after school or before school starts each day. I think everyone should know that "family" is what you hear most from each child when asked how they feel about their school. My child has been here since K4 and is now in 10th grade. No school is perfect but St. Luke's is as close as you can get.

Posted September 24, 2013

I have the best of both world at SLES. I have a child that has attended SLES and I am an employee of SLES. We are both beyond happy with our experience at this wonderful school. With the new administration, this school is headed for even greater things in the future. Having taught at other schools, I can tell you that the academics are above standard, teachers are valued and it shows through their love of their students/parents/administration, and the students are in a loving, caring, nurturing, safe, and family environment.

Posted September 23, 2013

My family has been at St. Luke's for over 5 years. It such a wonderful place to be. I would do whatever I needed to do to keep my children there. There is a tremendous sense of "family" when you step onto the campus. The academics far exceeded our original expectations. My children's education is right up to par with the other prep schools in Mobile (evinced by talking to friends/parents from the other schools). The new leadership combined with the existing leadership is phenomenal. I am totally convinced that there is NO better place than St. Luke's. Another benefit of going to St. Luke's is that the sports program is amazing for all ages. Sports start with the 3-year-olds. It's amazing to have 3-year-olds playing soccer, basketball, and T-ball. I can't say enough good things about this school......

Posted September 23, 2013

If you're not considering St. Luke's you should! My children have only been at the school for a short period of time. However, I am constantly amazed at the excellent teaching environment and the wonderful class sizes. I would highly recommend St. Luke's to any parent who values a strong education for their child. The teachers and administration are top notch and place education above peripheral matters. My family has been welcomed into the St' Luke's family with open arms, the school is one big FAMILY.

Posted September 23, 2013

Fantastic! New Leadership this year has done nothing but enhance it both for the students but also the parents. As a parent of multiple children at the school, I am completely satisfied with academics and athletics. They offer athletics from K3-6th grade for the lower school and Middle School and High School teams at the upper school. If you are looking for a HOME for your children then this is the place!

Posted September 23, 2013

This is a wonderful school for all learners. Very academic, but also a family atmosphere.

Posted September 23, 2013

Terrific! We have a diverse student body and a fantastic teaching staff and administration! Our new headmaster, Mr. Mike Notaro, has implemented several improvements and innovations. Among them is the installation of an Honor Council and an Honor Code. The students success is our primary mission. Teachers are available for after school tutoring every day to assist and motivate students who require extra help or further explanation of an assignment. The atmosphere around campus is enthusiastic and supportive in an effort to make St. Luke's the best option for our children on their path to young adulthood.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 18, 2013

Not nearly as good as it used to be. Academics, that were once strong, are now mediocre at best. If you are considering this school, look at standardized test scores of the students as compared to the grades reported. Chances are your kids will love the school because it is so easy and the children and parents are nice. Just beware, this is nothing like the school it once was. There is a new administration this year, so hopefully things will change. If not, there will be one more spot available.

Posted May 17, 2013

Our family has been at St. Luke's for 10 years now and I would do whatever it takes to keep them there. St. Luke's is, without a doubt, the best school in the city. The academics are top notch, the athletic program is unbelievable ( team sports in K3-12), and the art program is terrific. I can honestly say that every teacher and every coach wants my children to succeed as much as I do...and my kids KNOW that! This is more than a school...it's one big family and my children are thriving!!!

Posted June 27, 2012

The absolute best in education in the entire city of Mobile. This school is the ideal when it comes to a top-notch private school education. A lovely school in a delightfully quaint neighborhood. The best school anyone would want their child to attend. I can't say enough nice things about this wonderful school and their fantastic teachers.

Posted May 25, 2011

When my brother and sister went to St Lukes both Middle school and Lower school were wonderful they did not have the high schools back then but back when my brother and sister went they were great!!! Thats what my brother and sister said!!

Posted January 22, 2009

Our two children are in their fourth year at St. Lukes and I can't say enough good things about this school. The caring teaching staff, the varied curriculum, and the adminstrative staff all have worked together to create a learning environment my children love to spend their day in. The tuition squeezes us a bit, but I wouldn't send them anywhere else.

Posted September 3, 2008

I think St. Lukes is a great school. The teachers are nice, and everyone is like a brother or sister to everyone else. Now, some teachers are less nice than others *cough, cough* but it all works out! =)
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 4, 2007

We love St. Luke's! My husband is an alum and our daughter has attended since PK3 and is middle school now! The preschool and lower-school curriculum was fabulous and is even better now with new enhancements and upgrades. The middle school has several new and enthusiastic faculty and a top-notch curriculum including educational trips! Our daughter is getting a well-rounded experience at St. Luke's both academically and in her extra-curricular activities. She occasionally plays piano in chapel, is participating in her third Science Olympiad, is a Scholar's Bowl team member and plays CYO and CMSAA soccer. St. Luke's has a family-type atmosphere where everyone cares about you and you feel like you are glad to be home!

Posted October 19, 2006

Preschool and lower school are the best in Mobile! Middle school stinks. The math and english teachers have been there too long. we came to SL on the recommendation of a neighbor with one warning: don't stay through MS. Now we have made the mistake and regret it. Can't wait till the end of the year when my oldest graduates and we will will move our 5th grader to stay out of MS again. Lower school and Preschool are the best!

Posted September 7, 2006

This is my son's last year at St. Luke's. He has been a student since 1998. St Luke's has been a wonderful place for my son to grow and learn about himself and the world around him. The teaching staff have always been supportive and fostered his passion to learn. As far as 'Children becoming champions' St Luke's encourages individuality and has always encouraged him to find the CHAMPION within himself. St Luke's has faced many challenges in the nine years we have been there and they have done so with their focus never leaving what they are there for..THE CHILDREN.. to learn and become a champion at whatever gifts and talents they have been blessed with. We love St Luke's !!!!

Posted April 3, 2006

from the outside st. lukes looks like a great school. I am a sls alumni and it is completely different. St. Lukes is very clicky! Its motto 'where children become champions' shows that sls is very sports oriented. Its like if your not involved in a school activity then you are considered a 'loser'. sls is one of the smallest schools in mobile because of the attitudes of the students. As for the teachers i am not impressed. the sls lower school faculty is fantastic but the middle school is horrible. half of the kids in my class had a tutor!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 1, 2006

What a wonderful school! I can't say enough good things about St. Luke's. The academics are challenging--I've heard several alumni say they were more than prepared for highschool. The curriculum offers art, music, computer lab, library, spanish, athletics, and fantastic field trips! I can tell the teachers truly enjoy teaching. Parents are welcome at the school and are encouraged to get involved. This is truly a family place! The school motto is 'where children become champions' and I can't see how a child could not become one in this environment!

Posted February 26, 2005

We had our two boys in St. Luke's. Coming from Switzerland and not knowing any english they immediately felt home in the school. After 2 years we went to the Netherlands where both boys have jumped one class and still are in the highest ranks in every subject. Thank you St. Luke's!

Posted February 21, 2004

No school is perfect but we found Saint Luke's to be just great in almost every area. We think it is the very best school in Mobile and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. If your child is smart and athletic, SLES is for you!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:45 p.m.
  • MIke F. Notaro
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • University of ALabama

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Community service
  • Cub scouts
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Girl scouts

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom