Mobile, AL

Posted July 29, 2015
My son was fully prepared for Causey after attending Dawes. The teachers are smart and caring. The school has an after school tutoring program where teachers stay and help with homework and test preparation.

Posted July 29, 2015
My child entered this school scared to death at grade three. By the Fifth Grade Finale, she grew to love her school so much that she's been upset all summer at the thought of not seeing her teachers and principal. They told her they would be visiting the students at their middle school when school opens. The teachers are tough. She learned a lot and should be prepared for middle school. The principal is strict but fair. She likes the school to be clean and organized. Boys in the neighborhood say the principal doesn't play when it comes to fighting and can recite the principals speech about keeping hand to self. The school practices safety drills. I was at the school volunteering when they had to lock down. I was impressed at how everyone knew what to do. Students get to help make decisions. The teachers survey students and parents about how they feel about school. Students have an outdoor track and gardening learning center. My daughter became a junior gardener. She also participated in the dasher running club. PE is strict and not for play time. They exercise most days and work on fitness testing. We got to participate in charity fundraising for those less fortunate. This school is amazing and is as good or better than any private school!

Posted July 29, 2015
My 5th grader left this school at the end of the year in tears as did his classmates. He loves his teachers and principal. He was given many opportunities to lead school programs and felt confident because the student council teacher and principal made them practice speaking until perfect. Appearances are authentic and are important to give the great first impression the school deserves. I've passed by the school many late nights and weekends to see office staff, principal, and teachers working late. Dedication to performance excellence pays off.

Posted January 18, 2014
Dawes is a wonderful school! My children have attended schools in 2 other states and I was pleasantly surprised by how well this school compared to the others. The education is top notch. My children were challenged, the teachers are caring, and I was amazed by how much my children learned and were exposed to. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted April 10, 2013
Fantastic School! Very involved parents and teachers. The principal is great! I admire the outdoor learning center. I think it is fantastic that the children and teachers work together planting and harvesting.

Dawes Intermediate School 3

Posted October 11, 2012
My experience with this school is similar to the other reviews. Very concerned about appearances instead of the overall well being of the children. My child does well academically, but when she has had problems they were of no help. The school offers a lot of after school activities but not tutoring!!?? I think that is do to the whole keeping up appearances mentality.

Posted April 13, 2012
Awesome!!!! The 3rd and 4th techers are great! This is a brand new school and they treat the kids so good. Nothing negative to say about them. The school only has 1 year...

Dawes Intermediate School 3

Posted February 15, 2012
Most of our teachers are great !! They simply need to be allowed to teach. If less emphasis were placed on making the campus and the principal look good everyone would be better off. The teachers love the students and are very good at actually communicating the skills the students need, but they spend too much time worrying about whether the students are reading AR books and testing just so. My sons loved to read before schools started cramming this on them. Now they complain about a principal that doesn't understand about telling the truth and doing real work. So sad.

Dawes Intermediate School 2

Posted February 14, 2012
When did "appearances" become more important than curriculum, and testing more important than learning a subject? Students are told too often about not wearing proper uniforms and informed of uniform checks. Notes will go home to parents if uniform policy is not followed. I don't have a problem with uniform policy, until it is taken to the extreme. Students are warned at rallies or during announcements to not wear unwashed or torn uniforms, socks a certain height, etc. Scuff marks by shoes in the hallways seem to be s major issue, therefore, students are not to wear shoes with black soles. This is a public school after all. Another main concern is our student's AR pog. Weekly students are told where their pogs should be. Students are called out of class for not taking the test. Students no longer enjoy reading because of the pressure placed on them to make their pogs. To many flaws in the AR test critera not taken into consideration. Too much importance placed on testing than learning actual subject. The better the scores, the better our school looks. Education is our future not what our children look like when they are receiving it. Appearances can be deceiving.

Posted February 06, 2012
Parents are welcome at the school and my child enjoys going to school each day. Teachers are fair and efficient as is the principal. Information and papers are sent home daily and one need only call the office if there is an issue and they will work to resolve it. Very pleased with this school.

Dawes Intermediate School
10451 West Lake Rd, Mobile, AL  36695
Last modified Dawes Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 3-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dawes Intermediate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top