Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

While there are a few highly effective teachers, many are new and inexperienced -- hired on short notice due to the departures of their predecessors in a highly toxic leadership environment.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

There is no enforcement of the honor code and those who violate it are able to escape without punishment. Even those who accumulate sufficient infractions to be dis-enrolled are allowed to remain/return only reinforcing the lesson that dishonesty, bullying, and abhorrent behavior are acceptable in society.

Students are selected based on previous academic success, which generates the test scores that lead to the Great Schools Rating...but the school itself is unworthy of any rating above a 3. The school does not enforce its conduct code, which results in those students whose test scores adding to the school's reputation to be allowed to bully, beat upon and otherwise terrorize other students with impunity. Numerous students with sufficient conduct write-ups to flunk the entire year have been allowed to remain, and as this only reinforces their belief in their bullying, their abhorrent behavior continues in subsequent years. The building is crumbling. In one concert a chandelier crashed into the audience below (no this was not a performance of Phantom of the Opera). The principal creates a highly toxic learning and leadership environment. She has, for the last several years, created such a toxic leadership environment that many teachers have left in the middle of the academic year. This has resulted in a mad scramble throughout the city to find "teachers" to fill classrooms, with no attention paid to their qualifications. As a result, there is little or no continuity of instruction or learning, and the teaching performance is very uneven. There are a few good teachers, but most are mediocre and inexperienced as a result of the extreme turnover caused by the toxic leadership environment. Unfortunately, this principal has befriended members of the school board, and is thus immune from the disciplinary action that would usually be taken against someone so incompetent. In short, this school succeeds only on the inertia of the students themselves. Handpicked to enroll at Baldwin, it is they, not the teachers or the leadership, that continue their own learning.

My school is Baldwin Arts and Academics Magnet School. I think that it is a great school with a combination of fun and learning(but mostly learning :). It has arter school study sessions for the kids who might need a smidgen of help. Also, it has clubs like Science Olympiad for those interested in science and Math Counts for those who like math. The P.E there is amazing we do tons of fun things like volleyball, archery, basketball, pickleball, and bowling but, we also have to run a few miles either indoor or outdoor. The teachers are really helpful and attentitive to your questions. My school could maybe improve by getting a little remodeling the rooms are slightly old and need to be repainted.

This is my second year at Baldwin. I am a seventh grader on the academics side of Baldwin. My sister is an eighth grader on the arts side of Baldwin and we all love the school!!!! We love the teachers,coaches,staffs,and the principal!!!

Baldwin is the best school that I have ever attended. The teachers are top-notch and the principal does everything that she can to ensure that the students succeed.

I am a former Baldwin student and can say that the two years I spent at this school (the school transitioned to a middle school my second year there so I was unable to spend three years there) were the best two years of my entire schoolgoing years. After my years at Baldwin my parents decide to put me in a private school where due to the fact of the advanced curriculum at Baldwin I was made to retake many classes I had already passed such as physical science, geometry, and two history classes. Baldwin is a much better school thana private school that you must pay for uniforms which can add an extra $500 if not more to the already expensive cost of tuition. If you are a parent reading this please believe me there is no better school in this city than Baldwin for your child.

We are a military family who spent one year in Alabama. We debated whether it was worth the hassle to send our 6th grade son to Baldwin (as opposed to the neighborhood elementary or middle school). Given the extra focus Baldwin places on academics we elected to go with Baldwin and that turned out to be an excellent decision. As our son was on the Academics side of things, I cannot speak to the Arts programs but we have no complaints with the school. Teachers were helpful and responsive. Curriculum was challenging but in a positive way. Our son also enjoyed (and we as parents appreciated) the school's focus on physical education to round things out. Our only complaint would be the facilities (100 year old building) but that is a minor point.

I am currently a 7th grader at Baldwin and it is AMAZING!!!

My son is finishing his third year at Baldwin, and it has been a wonderful experience. Wish we could continue here through 12th! What a great experience he has had.

Last modified Baldwin Art And Acadcs Magnet is a Public school that serves grades 6-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.