Smiths Station, AL

Posted May 19, 2015
My review is specifically for East Smiths Station Elementary School/ESSES (they have all split now, but that information is not up to date here on greatschools.org). ESSES is a wonderful school with great leadership and a great staff. Mr. Kohler is an outstanding Principal who listens to, respects, and supports his teaching staff. The teachers there are all wonderful and professional, and combined they make ESSES a great school. I have two children in ESSES and one is a special needs child with an IEP. From the moment that I stepped foot in the front door to register my son, I was introduced to the staff in the Special Education department and they hit the ground running to provide my son with services and take special care of him. This is the 3rd year that I have had kids at ESSES and I do not have a single complaint about the school. They have all been wonderful and my children love it there.

Posted April 30, 2014
I was a bit nervous about switching schools for my kiddo ;however, after discovering all the progress he has made and the look of enjoyment on my sons face, my anxious mind was put to ease. My son loves to read and SSES encourages reading and ways to increase reading skills. It's a very rewarding feeling as a parent when your child comes home loving to read and we can enjoy reading together more now as well. I'm very glad for the switch and we are looking forward to the years to come.

Smiths Station Elementary School 2

Posted March 20, 2012
there is entirely TOO MUCH emphasis on the children earning their 'stamps' for their behavior that day! Our child has all A's but comes home with yellows or reds 3-4x per week due to him 'getting out of his seat without permission & not doing what he is asked the 1st time." Once the children move to yellow or red, there is no going back to green for the day. This causes our son alot of stress because altho he tries really hard, he sometimes doesnt hear the teacher or is day-dreaming. My son has been bullyied on the bus numerous times and i have filed reports. I have called & left msg's to speak to the Principal or Asst, and they will never call you back or inform you how situations like this were or will be handled. There is NO RECESS, NO music, and Silent lunches when the kids get too loud in the cafeteria. SSSES is too strict, un-realistic expectations from Kindergartners, and doesnt seem to let children be children. We are seriously considering going to Lakewood next year regardless of his report card! much exp

Posted June 08, 2011
I have two sons who both went through this school. At first I didn't know much about the school and how things are run there. Academics are the main focus at the school and it shows. My children were given lots of opportunities to shine and do their best. The school is very safe and you can be sure your children are taken care of. Every time I needed something, it was taken care of with a smile and done professionaly.

Smiths Station Elementary School 1

Posted May 14, 2011
You do have other options, if you are as unhappy with this school as I was. Initially, transferred our child to a private school. Then, via other parents, we learned that we could use Lakewood Elementary. Wow~what a fantastic change!I have never heard one parent complain about Lakewood. The principal, Mrs. Nicey Eller~the best! The teachers~most, if not all, have Masters Degrees. They are a Science Magnet school. Did I mention at least 7 students followed us to this school~leaving SS for the same reason. I went to the local school board office (I believe it was called that), its off 13th st, PC. Ask for a transfer app. Fill the form out and in the reason section, just put "hardship". They dont want the long story. Leave the form with them. In a week or less you should recieve the approval in the mail. Spaces are limited, and they go fast....so I would put in for it asap. You will not regret. Lakewood is a rather new school, and has grown so rapidly they are building another school adjacent to this one~just for 2 grades :))

Smiths Station Elementary School 1

Posted May 13, 2011
Bad, Bad, Bad!!!!! There is no music, art, or even recess at this school. All the principal cares about is how the school looks on paper. You aren't allowed to go to your child's classroom and the front office staff is rude! Even though my child has all A's and great conduct, my child was made to sit outside against a wall and watch as other children had fun, got popsicles and juice and was not allowed to talk because my child did not take enough "AR tests". The other day my child was flat out refused breakfast because they don't tell you that you owe money on the lunch account until it is past due. I was not contacted when this happened so my child had to go hungry. I tried to do research before choosing a school and I wish someone had posted a review like this on here before I bought a house and moved to this area. Unfortunately this is the school my child is zoned to go to next year when it will be a K-5 through 6th grade so we will be paying for a private school from here on out. If you care about your child's education move to Georgia or pay for private school.

Posted March 04, 2010
My sons enjoyed the school and were challenged in their classes. My sons both had different teachers in 2nd and 3rd grade and loved them all. I highly recommend the school and staff.

Smiths Station Elementary School 4

Posted July 26, 2008
I have been very inpressed with SSES. My son looked forward to going to school each day. Mrs. Birge made learning for him fun.

Smiths Station Elementary School 3

Posted June 14, 2008
Students are somewhat mean to others and teachers rarly notice when the students are being picked on. Students there made it a living night mare for my daughter. Other wise, it was a great school

Posted August 31, 2007
We are a military family and my child attended SSES for 2 years and we were very sad to leave it. This is the best school my child has attended. The stamp issue...Your child receives stamps for completing homework, behaving in class, doing what they are told to do, being prepared for class, and being honest. To loose a stamp, you have to break one of those rules and before a stamp is taken away for not listening in class or misbehaving, your child is given a verbal warning! Your child should be doing all of this anyway, but then again it is all in how you raise your child. Teachers are wonderful...Mrs. Glisson and Mrs. Robinson!! Principal is wonderful and the front office staff is wonderful. You do have to show picture ID to check out child, but that is for the safety of your child!!! Great school!

Smiths Station Elementary School
171 Lee Rd 728, Smiths Station, AL  36877
Last modified Smiths Station Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smiths Station Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top