Posted March 05, 2014
We've had our children in AMS since they were toddlers. They are both now in the elementary program and are thriving. I am amazed every day at how much they are learning. We attempted public school with one of our kids, but that didn't last long as he wasn't being challenged at all. We transferred him back to AMS and haven't looked back since. At AMS the students are taught to be self-motivated and learn by self-direction and leadership. By learning at an individual rate, this allows children on both ends of the learning spectrum to not only succeed, but to excel. The teachers, administrative staff and executive director are all dedicated and passionate about the Montessori philosophy and in making sure that each student gets the very best education. I have been so pleased with AMS and how it is instilling the love learning in my children, with not only the core subjects, but also music, art and language. This will last a lifetime for them.

Posted February 26, 2014
This is a great school! The teachers are Montessori trained and have a passion for providing the best education and care possible. I have been thoroughly impressed with what I have seen.

Anchorage Montessori School 1

Posted September 21, 2013
Although I have faith in the Montessori Method, I don't believe this school is equipped to deliver it faithfully. Every time my son had the slightest physical problem, I would get a call to pick him up. My son got his first scar at AMS due to a lack of supervision. My son would have a tantrum and nobody at AMS knew how to handle it. And I would get a call to pick him up. I don't believe AMS provides any different quality of care for the money than any other childcare provider in Anchorage. And for much less money, I believe there are childcare centers in Anchorage who provide a much higher quality of care. Not recommended.

Anchorage Montessori School 3

Posted February 11, 2013
My child has been attending since fall 2011. This school is very expensive for the quality of education provided. There is a serious problem with the consistent and fair application of policies and communication with parents. Substitute teachers are undereducated and have little or no training in Montessori methods. Despite that there is a general commitment to Montessori principles and it is worth getting to know the parents. Overall I'm disappointed in the price of this education but am satisfied with the benefits to my child. I am seriously considering not applying to enroll my second child when she reaches the age of matriculation.

Anchorage Montessori School 1

Posted May 24, 2012
I don't recommend applying here if you are not well-connected. Their application process is really convoluted and shady. Requiring recommendation forms for two-year-olds to me really is a sign of the apocalypse and the sad reality that childhood has become a vestigial stage in human development. Really? I am pretty sure we were judged more on our address then anything else. I was not impressed with the forthrightness of the staff either. I would actually call them down right unprofessional. Send your kid here if you want them to go to an elitist yet mediocre Alaskan school with bad interior decorating and unprofessional staff.

Posted April 24, 2010
My son has attended the full day preschool program since August 2009. We've been very pleased. He loves his teachers, classmates, and the activities he gets to do. The class is very well organized and safe. The teachers hold high standards for behavior, but are respectful and gentle in their interactions with these young ones. Students are invited to choose activities that are developmentally appropriate and interesting to them. Learning is supported with individual and small group lessons as well as class circle time. The math manipulatives of the Montessori approach are especially good.

Posted January 20, 2010
We love Anchorage Montessori School. Both our children are thriving in the preschool and elementary programs...it is a great place to learn and grow.

Posted October 18, 2009
I was surprised not to find any reviews of Anchorage Montessori when I was looking for schools. Am writing this one now to say my family has had a great experience with this school. (As have many other families we know.) My daughter is in the toddler class and loves it. Her teacher and assistant teacher are great and the teacher for the other toddler class seems wonderful too. They provide a loving and thoughtfully structured program for the kids and also seem dedicated to communicating well with the parents --weekly email updates about the class, etc. I originally gave 4 stars (and not 5) because some of the administrators and the receptionist can seem a bit frosty. But, since that doesn't really matter at all, I'm going for 5.

Posted April 23, 2009

Anchorage Montessori School
5001 Northwood Drive, Anchorage, AK  99517
Last modified Anchorage Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Anchorage Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top