Big Lake, AK

Posted December 04, 2013
I absolutely love this school. I was able to get my son into a class with an amazing teacher. I love her technique and teaching style. My son had no no motivation to read but with her help were only half way through the year and he can read and write with no problem I'm totally impressed. To all whom wrote poor reveiews about the school you should probably get more involved with your children's learning kids want theit parents to be. school is not where the problem is its usually in your home . I love that my son has learned so much from me and his teachers I'm proud to be apart of this community. They also are in the process of remodeling the kindergarten classrooms total upgrade. Very nice playground. Everyday my kid comes home telling me about how he loves it their.

Posted November 24, 2013
I attended big lake elementary from k-6th grade. I loved school and the staff was wonderful people of which some are still there! Wow! Now my children attend although not as 'beavers' in blue and gold, but as 'grizzlies'. My twins love kindergarten and ms.bergen. Thanks to big lake elementary and it's faculty.

Posted May 01, 2013
I will never let my children attend this school. I have gone in to visit my nephews for their birthdays and the front desk has no idea when lunch is, where they are, or if I can even bring cupcakes in. Every teacher but 1 has been rude and put off by my coming in to visit for lunch only. I have called ahead and no one informs the teachers. During lunch the teachers have put on movies which I will not let my children watch. I have also picked up the boys from this school and no one has ever asked to see my id or even asked who I was they just call the boys down and they let them leave with me. This is very concernig to me as there has been restraining orders against parents in the past. They just don't seam to care about the kids or whats going on. I will not be sending my own children here. A concerned Aunt

Posted August 08, 2012
I switched my boys from a charter school to Big Lake Elem. when we moved out here and was not impressed. I have never had a problem with my oldest child's behavior before but he was always in trouble for something. Then one day I found out through other staff that my child got sent to the office and was forced to sit upright from around noon to the time school let out at 345p. I was livid! So I made this a big issue and the principal first said he was going to find out what happened, when he did call me he said that my son was misbehaving and wanted to tell me something. My son get on the phone in tears saying that he got in trouble that day which is why he was sent to the office. By the time the pricipal got back on the phone I had to do everything I could to not tell him I was considering legal action for doing that to my child. The fact that he was in trouble was not in question, the fact that my son had been pulled out of school without my knowledge and forced to sit for over 3 hours waiting to be seen by the principal who had "more important" things to do was the reason for my concern. I found out through the receptionist that this happens fairly often. Never again.

Posted March 21, 2011
Both of my boys went to Big Lake and hated it. When I was young I hated it. The teachers are stuck in there ways and are not willing to learn, grow and change with there students each year.

Posted January 26, 2010
I have had my two children in this school from k-6. I have seen many changes in this school. The principal & staff went out of the norm by grouping homogenously and using the district curriculum and an alternate direct instruction model; each meet different learning styles. The low students have blossomed and the higher students are challenged. The staff is hard working and try very hard to help every child succeed. If they had more aides and parental involvement, I know they would soar! They try regardless to what they don't have!

Posted February 27, 2008

Posted July 01, 2007
This school is unbelivable. Our family chooses this school. We live By Goose Bay and yet we drive by them every day to go to Big Lake. THe Teachers ability to cumunicate with the principal and the principals ability to make things happpen for the kids is great. THe staff will find a way to meet your childs needs. When every I have a cuncern with the school the staff has be quick to search and find the problem with a answer. I am very impressed with what my children get from BigLake Marylee

Posted September 19, 2006
I do not like this school . All we have had is problems for 3 years now .

Posted August 31, 2005
As a parent I am very pleased with the staff and give the school high grades. I am impressed and pleased by the level of teaching and the education my children are recieving.

Big Lake Elementary School
Mile 4.5 South Big Lake Rd, Big Lake, AK  99652
Last modified Big Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Big Lake Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top