Diamond Canyon Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 1014 students

Highest Test scores in Anthem!!! Excelling staff!

Sweep tile

Posted October 10, 2013

Diamond Canyon is a second home to my children. The teachers and staff there care about my girls and show them love daily. They are learning every day and feel so comfortable with their teachers. I love the rigorous curriculum and high expectations for both standards and behavior. Go DC!

Posted September 26, 2013

I have 2 kids attending Diamond Canyon. All the teachers that my kids have had, have been great! I am very pleased with the education they are receiving & how caring the teachers are.

Posted July 28, 2013

We have had two children attend Diamond Canyon and couldn't be more pleased about the quality of education our children receive at this school. We are continually impressed by the teachers and administration. One of our children just completed fifth grade and we were amazed at the academic, emotional, and social growth that occurred during this year. High expectation were set (as they should be), but our child was supported as she progressed through the year. Our "almost" sixth grader is now much more confident and responsible. This is exactly what should happen as a child is entering middle school. Our younger child had an amazing year in fourth grade and we're looking forward to another great fifth grade year! We cannot give enough positive accolades to Diamond Canyon and we're happy to have our children attending such a great school!

Posted July 19, 2013

We did a lot of research in selecting the right school in Anthem. We checked out a few public, one private, and the charter school. I didn't show all my cards when we were meeting with schools, and talking to parents, but I was looking for a school that had the best quantitative results (scores), and also had the best qualitative results (a safe environment where they care about my children's success). Diamond Canyon was the school that stood out in both categories, so after about six weeks of investigation, and talking around, we settled here. That was two years ago and we are very pleased with our decision! Scores are still the highest, and we have become even more impressed by what a caring community there is at Diamond Canyon. Lots of great people!

Posted July 18, 2013

This school is outstanding! I would highly recommend it! My kids love the teachers and administration at this school. Everyone is very professional. You can tell that learning and doing what is best for the students is the top priority. I have nothing but positive things to say about this school.

Posted July 16, 2013

My child loves going to Diamond Canyon! There is no other place I've found that greets kids each morning with the energy and REALLY knows their students. His teachers have known his academic skills and his interests. I am a very happy parent of Diamond Canyon. We plan to attend for many, many years.

Posted July 14, 2013

I can see this school from my house, yet I drive my children all the way into Phoenix to attend schools in PVUSD! The best decision I ever made was pulling my children from DVUSD and DC. We only had two great teachers at DC (Kindergarten and First Grade and after that it all went down hill)! Only one of those teachers is still there. The list of reasons we would not recommend this school is FAR TOO long to list! PVUSD has been amazing and we never look back, the extra gas is worth it!

Posted May 17, 2013

I am a parent of a 16 yr old and 6 yr old. Not new to the school system. I am retired Air Force and have had the experience of all kinds of schools, both private and public here in AZ, Delaware, and New Jersey. Diamond Canyon is poor managed. The teaching staff in the kindergarten have little support from school leadership. This was our first year so I had nothing to compare the principal to except other schools my children have been through. The principal is detached which explains the front office, I believe they think they aren't allowed to smile or be friendly in any way. Except if you know them on some personal level. When I tried to address a problem/issue early in the year I rec'd a company line which had lies, I tried to address the lies and more lies come. I realized at that point my child was not returning. The parent manipulation is beyond unprofessional. It seems the staff allows parents to have an overwhelming say as to the way business is conducted. It doesn't appear that the children's learning style or benefit is the forefront of this school. My child will not be returning.

Posted April 16, 2013

The teachers are completely detached from the students. At 5th grade there is already periods, the children are sent home with an overwhelming amount of books and expected to have planners to manage their homework. The teachers have no consistent process of keeping track of homework so if your child isn't perfectly keeping track of their assignments in their agenda, you have no way of following up. When we go to student conferences our child's teacher knows very little about our individual child and instead speaks off the grades with little insight on what they struggle with or exceed at. We get a blurb about how she does a great job in participation and is "doing great'. We've had to take complete control over following up on missing assignments after finding out that the main reason our daughter wasn't passing a class was because she had TWENTY missing assignments. Not a note, or a warning. The grade sucked and we assumed she didn't know what she was doing. She's just getting very little support and the teachers seem to treat everyone like a number.

Posted February 28, 2013

This is a craptastic school.. PTA is nothing but cheesy fundraisers, if your child is not, a) child of staff member, 2) an excelling student, 3)or a child of a pta member.. they will not get all they deserve. They place children in classrooms popcorn (toss them whereever) method.. not what s best for child. There are few great teachers, staff is mediocre at best.. homework is waaaay out of control.. and most times of my three kids *I* had to teach them how to do the homework.. the teachers did not (and if they did it was a video that taught) Pulling my three as are my neighbors.. on to charter schools

Posted June 17, 2012

For seven years I was an employee of the Deer Valley Unified School District and a staff member at Diamond Canyon for two of those years. Because of the knowledge and insight I gained about the inner workings I can never recommend Diamond Canyon to anyone. There are a few quality teachers that are restrained by policy, administrators and influential parents. Lack of direction and discipline have undermined safety. When the environment became unacceptable we removed our child midyear. Large turnover of teachers and dropping enrollment numbers are indicators of a troubled school. If you value your child's education do not subject them to Diamond Canyon.

Posted April 26, 2012

DC is excelling again. Awesome teachers and support staff. Large volunteer base and supportive community.

Posted April 26, 2012

My kids are so happy here as am I. Wonderful teachers, and amazing staff. The new principal and vice principal go above and beyond to make sure our kids are learning and safe! Love this school!!

Posted January 8, 2012

This school was the best. Diamond Canyon has had the best teachers ever. i did not have had a problem at this school.

Posted November 23, 2011

Excelling last FIVE years! A campus where your children will be known and provided a top notch education! This is the school you must check out! The school scores and data speak for themselves!

Posted November 14, 2010

My children have attended DC since it opened and overall I've been pleased. They've had some fantastic teachers and continue to love learning, which is the most important to me. The administration has been terrific in handling issues that have arisen. My only complaints are aimed at the district, nothing the school itself can control. We started in Paradise Valley USD and I regret the change. That district is far superior IMHO.

Posted August 13, 2010

If you work at the school, your child gets placed with the "great" teachers. Otherwise, you get what you get, and you can't get upset.

Posted June 26, 2010

Diamond Canyon has been an excellent school for both of my children. The teachers have been great and the principal is fantastic. We came from a school in California that pales in comparison. i would highly recommend DC!

Posted June 24, 2010

My daughter has attended Diamond Canyon for four years. Her teachers have been far superior to those she had in both CA and FL. I highly recommend placement at this school!

Posted September 17, 2009

My granddaughters both attend this school. I have visited their classrooms and I am so impressed with their educational standards. I am a retired OK teacher.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Rated A (highest possible) (2013)
  • Rated A (highest possible) (2012)
  • Rated A/Excelling (highest possible) (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Superintendent's School of Excellence (2010)
  • Sister School Award from HFL in China (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:45 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Tara LeCount
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Acceleration
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • PTA

• Computer animation
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
  • We LOVE parents on our campus!