Canyon Springs

Public | PK-8 | 845 students

We are best known for 21st Century Learning.

Posted May 4, 2014

We had several schools to choose from in the Anthem area, but Canyon Springs is the school for my children. The students and parents are very nice and down to Earth. The teachers and staff are very dedicated to education. The ladies in the front office are so very sweet and helpful. Even though this is a STEM school, I love the fact that they still offer students the opportunity to participate in fine arts. My children and I very much enjoyed the school's very first musical! Canyon Springs may not be our home school, but my children truly feel like they are home.

Posted September 25, 2013

I've been going to this school for 8 years now, this year being my last, and I can say this hasn't been a great school. I haven't been to any others so I can't really compare. The only plus I can say is that the teachers are for the most part really nice, as long as you're not causing trouble. Everything else is a negative. The admins are terrible, the food is revolting, and countless of other things. I've also been bullied every year after 4th grade, and it's not just the kids. Once when I was eating my home made lunch, the monitors commented saying, "Don't you think that's a bit too much" and forced me to throw it away. So if you care for your children's well being, choose a different school.

Posted September 23, 2013

I love this school! They offer many gifted services as well as services for special needs kids. The principle is wonderful. She has proven to be an excellent leader and the teachers are great as well. I have the option and access to several top rated charter schools in the area and would choose Canyon Springs over any of them!

Posted June 3, 2013

My school is Canyon Springs SChool. My own children have attended since its 2006 opening. I have been a teacher there since 2007. I could not be happier on every level. We are now an accredited STEM Academy and offer Deer Valley's Renaissance program as well. Our administrator's are top notch! Every year brings new and exciting learning opportunities and positive growth! I highly recommend our school!

Posted September 16, 2012

Having taught at other schools in Deer Valley, I have found Canyon Springs to be much more supportive of teachers, staff, students, as well as the community it serves, than many other schools. Our focus is STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), which is truly what our students need to be successful in the future. However, I also like the fact that the Arts and Humanities have not been left behind. This will ensure that our students are more prepared for the future. The Canyon Springs students, families, and community are wonderful to work with, and I think this school is on track to becoming one of the best schools in the region.

Posted August 25, 2012

I have worked at this school for a few years now, and all I can say is that it keeps improving. The new principal truly puts our students' needs first. She has worked with the teachers to make sure they are differentiating and flexible ability grouping to meet all of our students' needs, no mater what level they are working at. In the last two years the school has also earned great academic growth scores, even better than the neighboring charter schools...

Posted March 10, 2011

When it comes to Parent to Teacher communication and problem solving. I give it five stars!!! Despite classroom size; the teachers' strive to create great learning experiences. I have one child that completed 8th grade now in I.B program at Barry, and one student currently enrolled in 6th grade. Not to mention, that there is ZERO tolerence for bullying at this school. despite no morning recess, and short lunch recess. My kids while at this school are creating fun learning memories in classroom setting!

Posted November 20, 2009

My daughter is in 2nd grade and her teacher Mrs. Hansen is a great teacher even though there is 29 children in her classroom. I think that it is to many children in one class but I have to say Mrs. Hansen is on top of everything when it comes to are children. She has been a blessing for my daughter and now my daughter loves to read and be in school. I just have to say for me it's been a wonerful year so far for my daughter and I. Hope next year is just a good.

Posted June 3, 2009

I love this school! We've been in AZ for 2 years and chose CS out of the other schools in the area because it was the newest school here. Yes, growing pains are being experienced but it's exciting to be a part of creating an outstanding school for this community! Getting involved and supporting the students, faculty and staff have proven to be a positive experience for myself and my children. CS rocks!

Posted January 17, 2009

I am the parent of a kindergarten student and absolutely love this school, the principals and the teachers. Parents like to blame the teachers for the problems regarding pick up and drop off procedures, when it's the parents causing the problems. If everyone would follow the correct procedures, it would run more smoothly. You can't blame the teachers for everything.

Posted November 3, 2008

I had my daughter in first grade for three days and pulled her out of this school. It is over crowded, the teachers, principle and staff were extremely unorganized and had no idea who my daughter was when she walked in to the office. Thank goodness I was able to enroll her at New River Elementary - in the same school district, therefore engaged in the same curriculum. I recently moved from Parkside to the Country Club and did not even think twice about keeping her at New River Elementary. All of the Anthem Public Schools are over crowded and out of control. Neither one of my children will ever attend any of the public schools in Anthem.

Posted October 23, 2008

I agree with much of the feedback here. I'm also considering pulling my daughter and placing her in a local charter school for many of the same reasons stated here.

Posted August 26, 2008

My boys went to this school last year. My kids liked their teachers, which is about all I can say that was good. My oldest was bullied relentlessly and absolutely nothing was done to help the situation. We did not go back this year. Terrible discipline issues.

Posted July 26, 2008

My children have attended Canyon Springs since the day it opened. I am very impressed with the teachers, administration, and the office staff. Everyone there is working hard to make this school the best that it can be. Parents need to realize that it takes time to work out the 'bugs' and that the school needs the support of all to be successful. I am thrilled that my children attend this school.

Posted February 12, 2008

My children started this year at Canyon Springs this year and I find that it is very behind compared to Anthem Elementary where they were going before. Input from the teachers was always available as well as updates on your child's progress. Here I find that it's lacking- like pulling teeth sometimes. Classes are overcrowded and there is no discipline for the kids that need it. And the drop-off area is suppose to be drop and go but instead you have parents that sit in their vehicles until the gate opens, if you have to wait then park and walk. No organization what so ever. This school needs to take lessons from Anthem

Posted February 9, 2008

I have been going to this school for two years now (during a 6th to 7th grade period) and I find it very crowded. The student's are horrible and the staff let them get away with more than they should. When the students aren't screaming racial slurs, they're yelling obscenities at each other. This school is criminally under-staffed and the principal is not great in the least. she often has fund raisers that lose more money than they earn. Some of the staff are very kind and do not let the student's mis-behave, but the majority of them don't care one way or another what goes on. I find this school a very difficult learning environment.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 11, 2008

My son began kindergarten at this school and there's never been a day where he hasn't wanted to be there. His teacher, Mrs. Fields, is wonderful at communicating with us and has a connection with the children in her class. The school has responded to the growing number of students by increasing the number of classrooms and with each change they've made to improve the pick-up/drop-off system, they ve come closer to managing a balance between the children s safety while making it easier for parents to follow procedures. Overall, the staff and administrative department are very friendly and helpful. The principal is involved with the students by rewarding those who follow the Character Counts program by having Smoothies with the Principal. Academic standards are up to par in my opinion, the PTSA is working hard, and I think it will only get better and better at Canyon Springs.

Posted December 11, 2007

The teachers at this school have been extremely kind and involved in my childs education. They really have listened to my requests and concerns and made our family feel like my kids are truly blessed to have them as teachers.

Posted August 29, 2007

This school is overcrowded and understaffed. The pick-up and drop-off procedures need to be changed or seriously looked at. The Kindergarten pick up and drop off is seriously troubling too. The District needs to re-zone, again! I understand that we are experiencing growing pains, but it's at the cost of my child's education. Despite all this I really like the Staff. I believe in this school and it's mission for education.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 23%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Red Carpet Service Award (2010)

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Tricia V. Graham
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Boulder Creek High School