Navarrete Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 1024 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 24, 2013

We have been very impressed with our neighborhood school Navarette. We have Kindergarten and 3rd grader this year. Our experiences with the teachers (Mrs. Cuccinotto, Mrs. Neneber, and Mrs. Carpenter) have been awesome and our kids have loved them all so far. We are very impressed with the principal Mr. Merrill especially with his dedication and connection with the students (his involvement directing traffic and cars everyday is greatly appreciated :-). Our kids love to attend their school and we always feel welcome there. As a parents, we would always recommend Navarette to anyone living here in the Chandler area.

Posted July 23, 2013

This is a true neighborhood school. Children walk and bike to the school. There is a ton of parental involvement through volunteering in the classroom, a dedicated and effective PTO and just seeing parents on campus before and after school. The principal is extremely friendly and always stands and directs the school traffic before and after school. Our experience with the teachers gave been pleasant. My children always develop a deep fondness towards their teachers. It is not unusual to see a teacher hug or pat a child on the back. The homework is just the right amount. Navarrete doesn't assign homework to just assign homework. The homework is relevant and the time needed to complete it is reasonable.

Posted March 23, 2013

We just moved into the neighborhood last summer. We were nervous about trying a neighborhood school, but everyone I talked to had good things to say about Navarette. I have a 2nd and 4th grader this year. I have been very impressed with the school. Even though it's large in number, they do a great job of making it feel small. So many people from the neighborhood go there. Lots of biking and walking when the weather is cool. It's too bad that the awesome principal Mr. Merrill is retiring next year. The kids learn a lot, but the homework is balanced, so they have plenty of time to play after school and just be kids, plus participate in extra curricular activities.

Posted January 10, 2013

I have two kids that attend Navarrete and have since Kindergarten. We have loved every teacher they have had so far, especially Ms. Nenaber and Ms. Robinson! I would highly recommend Navarrete to anyone living in this area! Great School with lots of parent involvement!

Posted September 19, 2012

Amazing and dedicated Staff for the most part. We've had 3 kids go through Navarrete our highest praises are sung to Mrs. D. she spends so much extra personal time preparing and working with the students and uses part of her intersession breaks to provide a fun learning week for students as well. AMAZING!!! Mr. Merrill (the principal) is also a great attribute to Navarrete he has such a connection with students and families!

Posted September 19, 2012

My child was attending here for Kinder. We removed him after a year of a teacher refusing to challenge him. She told me if I wanted my child to have more education to go to a CTA school. Her communication with parents was also terrible. And only allowed volunteers at certain times of the day. Teacher was not helpful at all. We decided not to go to the principal, because we thought she was taking out her anger for us on our child. Not impressed at all. Maybe it is one bad seed, but I know of 6 other children that go there and most of the parents have issues with the teachers in all grade levels. The Principal seems nice, but we never went to him with any issues. Dean of Students has no personality at all and find him very uncomfortable to approach. Front office staff is very rude and not welcoming except for the Administrative Assistant.

Posted June 28, 2012

Not impressed with their follow thru on the bullying policy. Our child was accused of being a liar, members of administration would avoid us on campus since our child's allegations. The parents including PTO have too much control and parents who are home all day get involved in petty school stuff rather than letting the school handle it or the kids work it out. I think parent involvement is great but not when it infringes on the rights of other children. We had the option of leaving our kids in or pulling them out when we moved to our new home and we promptly pulled them out and enrolled them elsewhere

Posted May 22, 2012

Wonderful school with character building qualities. I am especially fond of Mrs. Druck and Mrs. Nenaber. These teacher are great at communicating with parents. My children love to attend here! I also appreciate that it feels secure and welcoming.

Posted July 30, 2011

I must disagree with the previous review. I have had children attending Navarrete for 3 years now and have never felt this way. The school requires all visitors to check in as a safety precaution. I for one appreciate the attentiveness to my children safety. I enjoy the engaging nature of the staff and administration and have always felt welcome by all.

Posted July 28, 2011

While I was impressed with the clean campus and layout of the school, I was not happy with the fact that I have to go through a snobby front office staff if I just want to pop in on my child's classroom. In fact, I ultimately was not allowed to go to my child's class. I understand the need for minimal disruption to class, but NO SCHOOL SHOULD PREVENT PARENTS FROM ENTERING THEIR CHILD'S CLASSROOM. Unfortunately, this has set the tone for me & now my view of the school is blemished. Bummer, Navarrete, perception is reality and my initial perception is not good.

Posted April 3, 2011

My daughter was in Kindergarten at this school before we moved out of state for a year. We loved the school! Her Teacher was great, the Principal was very involved and I felt the school was very safe. There are very tall gates that are closed during school hours so that all viitors must enter thru the office. The gates can be opened from the inside to allow students to get out in an emergency. My daughter has gone to a GIlbert school for 2 months now and we despise it! Her Teacher there is horrible and we feel the school is extremely unsafe. I can't wait to get back to a Chandler school next year.

Posted March 6, 2011

My daughter is in 1st grade here and also was in all day K here. The school seems very safe, organized, and I have loved her teachers so far. Mr. Merrill the principal is friendly, approachable and is very involved in the students. Every morning when I drop my daughter off Mr. Merrill the principal, and the Dean of Students Mr. Cramer are out directing traffic and cars, to make sure the kids get dropped off safe. Mr. Merrill also does traffic control when school gets out. They take safety and education very seriously. Keep it up guys.

Posted November 9, 2010

I am a student teacher working at the Navarrete Elementary School and I am honored to be a part of this school. I have never worked at a school where the principal was so involved with the daily routines. Mr. Merril is amazing because he truly cares about all the students that attend the school. The principal makes his daily rounds into every classroom and sometimes visits twice in one day. The students love Mr. Merril and are so excited to see him in their classroom. It's common to arrive in the morning and see the principal working as the cross guard. I also should mention that I have never seen a principal working in the cafeteria, daily during the lunch hours like Mr. Merril does. I would recommend that you take a look at this school because the leadership qualities and dedication from the principal are contagious. The staff and teachers provide excellent educational opportunities for their students. The school promotes educational excellence and offers extra-curricular activities. The students are excited and pumped up to participate in their education. I love the assemblies and the school spirit events. Look no further, Navarrete is truly one of the best schools in the state.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 18, 2010

GReat teachers willing to go the extra mile for the kids, esp with after school tutoring.

Posted October 16, 2010

We love everything about Navarette Elementary. The staff is exceptional!! The activities like the Veteran's Assembly, the Character Counts Assemblies, and the Bully Assemblies make Navarette a very unique school. The principal supports both his staff and the parents. The students love to go to school!!

Posted October 11, 2010

Awesome teachers, parents and kids!

Posted October 11, 2010

The STAFF is the best!!! The kids love the enthusiasm and engagement they have with their principal. It's not every day you see a principal out directing traffic, working the lunch room, meeting the kids at the kindergarten pick-up or holding the stop sign at the crosswalk. Just to name a few!!!

Posted October 9, 2010

I love the teachers, they seem to really care.

Posted October 8, 2010

We moved here four years ago when my son was starting the first grade. And he has grown and flourished ever since. The teachers have been awesome, when he needed help, he got what he needed. The faculty is great, and we love our Mr. Merrill.

Posted October 8, 2010

Navarrette is a great school, I have a daugther who began this fall K- Mrs. Shaffer. Teacher is very engaged with daily feedback. My daughter is benefiting from going to Pre-school the year prior and is now exceling at Navarrete her teacher is pushing self reading as a growing focus for the remainder of the year. Parents, Teachers and students are all very engaged in learning, fund raising and make it a true community home!!! Thank you Navarrete.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 5% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 13%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
Fax number
  • (480) 883-4820
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now