Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

The teachers at this school seem to recognize that students who work hard throughout the day should not be given loads of unnecessary homework. They see homework as a tool to enhance learning, rather than a torture device.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Arrowhead holds students to a high level of accountability in all facets of school life.

Great school, great staff, and great kids! Thank you, Arrowhead, for providing such a positive learning environment!

Poor communication from the teachers. I thought it was just the Kindergarten teacher but now that my kiddo is in first grade, the communication is poor there too. I think they all need training on classroom management and how to interact with kids in a developmentally appropriate way. Younger children need to be able to fidget and have an outlet for their activity. They should not be expected to sit still for long amounts of time and made to be silent. I was offended that my 5 year old knew what "be quiet so you can hear a pin drop" meant in Kindergarten. I mentor other teachers and can tell you that if I ever walked into a K classroom that was made to be that silent every day, I would be putting that teacher on an improvement plan. My child comes home with countless worksheets that were completed in class. Busy work should be kept at a minimum in primary grades - you're going to BURN THEM OUT. Train your teachers better!

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is great! But the amount of worksheets/busy work given during school hours is excessive.

Develops character: Disagree

Pointing at students, not learning their names, disciplining them when no clear expectations were set, not following up with a reason why they are being disciplined - none of that develops honesty, integrity, or fairness.

Really seems to be hit and miss with the teachers. Kindergarten teacher was not good at communicating with parents and seemed to think parent teacher conferences were only necessary for the worst students. 1st grade teacher was awesome. 2nd grade teacher was out most of the year, seemed to struggle with classroom management on the occassions that she was there and at the end of the year had the nerve to tell the class " You have been the worst class I've ever had." Wow. How extremely inappropriate. The jury is still out on the 3rd grade teacher. But so far, I'm not impressed. She told the class an inappropriate story about someone who had called the police on her for drinking and driving when supposedly she hadnt been. I get she was trying to teach them about not assumming- knowing the full story before telling, etc. But is that an appropriate story to tell 3rd graders? Unfortunately, I'm seriously considering changing schools.

My son walks on his toes due to a disability. Today he wouldn't even get out of bed which is highly unusual for him. When I asked what was going on he stated he was afraid he would walk on his toes. I asked if he was being teased and he stated yes. But what surprised me most was it is by his teacher! He said she calls him "Tippy Toes". I'm sure she may not being doing it with the intention of hurting him; however, teachers play a significant role in personality development. I would think it is common sense, as a teacher, to know that what you say WILL have a lasting impression on the students. Seems like kids get picked on enough by their peers, do they really need it by teachers?

So I must be extremely lucky to have had such a great experience at Arrowhead. I actually commute to take my children there and have been doing so since my son was in preschool. Now 6 yrs later he still loves it there. When I researched schools this was the most traditional to my youth as I could find. With a music and art program, science fair, and family events, it has been perfect for our family. I worried that my son was too fidgety, that he would be labeled quickly without knowing him at a school that didn't cater to his learning style. It was the best decision I have ever made. I love the teachers, and staff and they care about my kids.

My daughter has been attending this school for the past three years, starting in Kindergarten, and she will be returning this Fall for 3rd grade. We absolutely love this school and absolutely LOVE the new principal, Ms. Hunt. Admittedly, I had some less-than-positive interactions with a staff member in the front office but, fortunately, that individual is no longer there. We had an unfortunate experience with a first grade teacher who, again, is no longer there (again, thankfully.) The principal impressed me tremendously when I brought my issues with the first grade teacher to her attention. She was extremely attentive, compassionate, and took action immediately. This school has become like an extended family to us and I feel very blessed to have my daughter here. We parents have to remember that the outcome of our interactions with staff members is largely dependent upon our approach. They want to help, and they want to see that we care, but they also need to be regarded with the respect and appreciation they deserve - keeping in mind that we are all equally imperfect and have room to learn and grow. Overall, my daughter and I absolutely LOVE Arrowhead!!!

Last modified Arrowhead Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.