Challenge Charter School

Charter | K-6 | 628 students

Living in Glendale

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

School Official Point of View

Posted March 2, 2009

Dear Parents: Thank you for taking a few minutes of your time to learn more about &/or share some of your experiences at Challenge Charter School. CCS was founded in 1996 by Superintendent, Greg Miller & Executive Director, Pam Miller, my parents. The Millers are still active in the leadership of CCS; and I am honored that they have chosen and support me in my new role as Principal. I am proud to have been working with CCS s outstanding team of educators since 1999. The team at CCS is passionate about putting kids first, offering an optimal educational environment, grounded in the fundamental skills of a hands-on, science-oriented, academic core curriculum. As Arizona s First Official Core Knowledge School our curriculum is integrated and sequential providing a challenging and differentiated learning environment also rich in history, character education, and technology. Recently, a few parents have commented on our testing culture. In response, I confirm that our students, of all backgrounds, consistently score 25 to 40% higher than the state average of both: all schools (~1700); and all charter schools (~485). This accomplishment is something our teachers, school community, parents, and especially students are proud of! So, yes, we do talk about it on campus; we empower and encourage our students to celebrate their achievements. Challenge is proud to offer many unique programs and services. Some of the opportunities at Challenge include: Extended-day Kindergarten, before & after school care, extracurricular classes during the school day (such as art, foreign language, PE, technology), Breakfast/lunch program, caring and highly qualified staff, parent/family nights, and a uniform policy. I encourage all interested parents to join us for one of our several Founders Tour & Informational Sessions this spring. At these tours, we discuss school policies & programs in detail and no question goes unanswered. Lots of information including tour dates is available on our webpage at www.challengecharterschool.net. Call our office today at 602-938-5411to sign up! Principal Wendy Miller

Posted October 28, 2008

I am amazed at some of the recent reviews from parents. My daughter is in 6th grade and has been at CCS all her school life. My son is in 7th grade and spent K-6 at CCS. CCS provides positive reinforcement to children. Parents that want their children praised just for trying are raising wimps. In life, it is expected of you to try. You don't get rewarded for trying. If you are at a job, if you do not produce, you are gone. Failure is part of life, and children need to learn early this fact. The nurturing is provided at home. It is not the teacher's job to be the care taker/nurturing parent. The teacher is there to teach and start showing kids what they are going to be facing in real life. CCS teachers as a whole, do great!

Posted May 27, 2008

Both my daughters were in this school, one has now graduated and the other will start 6th (final) grade in August and considering it a lucky day we found the school - I wish they had joined the school earlier and could stay longer The Principal (Mr Miller), Vice Principal (Ms Wendy Miller) and Teaching staff are passionate about their work and all of the children. Its a wonderful environment. This is a great place to learn and to be a kid!

Posted February 15, 2008

My Daughter has been attending CCS since kindergarten and is now in 3rd grade this year. She has had excellent teachers all 4 years, and continues to still have relationships with them all.The teachers are great! My Daughter expresses that she has had a wonderful time at this school. The level of education is exceptional and my daughter has always had straight A's to prove it. This year she is in Advanced scholars for her reading and writing. I am also very pleased with the staff's concearn for saftey and the 'no bully' policy! We love CCS!To top it all off this year CCS won the Blue Ribbon Award! Hats off to everone at CCS!

Posted February 4, 2008

CCS is a very good school. My son looks forward to go to the school every single day. He loves his teachers, his friends, his principal. We are very pleased with this school. He is learning so much. I am very happy with the school timings.

Posted January 25, 2008

I am so glad I found Challenge Charter. My son has had the best experience and education that I could ever hope for. My son has learned so much and has had so much fun. His teacher, Ms. Owens, has created her classroom into a learning zone that is warm and friendly. The Kindergarten students know that this is a place to learn, but that learning is fun and rewarding. I can't thank the Kindergarten teachers enough for making my son's 1st year of school such a happy and educational experience.

Posted July 31, 2007

I am an old student of Challenge Charter, and I really have to say that CCS gave me the best education I could ever get. Their education took me to the Regional Spelling Bee. I recently went and passed 7th grade thinking, 'Hey, I already knew ALL of the stuff I had learned at my last year at CCS. I am really thankful for my education here, as I know it will give me so much headway in life. I am going into 8th grade right now, and I'm still stuck thinking... 'Will I know all of the things in this grade too???' Well... anyways, I rate this school a 10/10 because of the treatment, the education, and the pure and simple fun I had at CCS. I recommend it to everyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 18, 2007

My daughter has been attending challenge since 1st grade and this year will be in 4th. She gets a great education from a staff dedicated to just that. The structure in the academics and citizenship is second to none. I admire the dedication the miller family has for the process of core knowledge and look forward to another great year

Posted July 18, 2007

My son went to Challenge last year and we are absolutely happy with all the help and excellent teaching enviroment. They also took the class to six field trips and the 'hands on' learning really shows on an everyday basis. We are sending two of our kids this year!

Posted May 2, 2007

I love CCS! My daughter goes to Kindergarten and has excelled beyond my expectations. The teaching staff continues to make sure that she is 'challenged' so she won't get bored with her studies. She absolutely loves 'Specials Day' and enjoys learning about Spanish, Art, Computers and PE. Her reading skills at her age are awesome! Even my youngest daughter has taken an interest in reading now and looks forward in the Fall to being a 'Pirate'! I also love the fact that the older students (5th/6th graders) get involved with mentoring the younger grades. Many thanks to the teachers, staff and the principal for being understanding and available to the parents when we need to vent our issues!

Posted August 13, 2006

This school has good test scores and a lot of good thing that can be said about,but the school work is not grade level. They worry more about keeping their big name than helping with learning problem kids.

Posted May 25, 2006

Challenge is an amazing school. My son is finishing his Kindergarten year and has excelled beyond our expectations. The teachers teach to every student not just one group, they give extra work to the advanced students while taking the time to work with the ones a little bit behind. Challenge gives the kids a rounded education. Every subject is important and the kids are learning music, spanish, art and even charater traits. I can not say enough good things about Challenge. This school teaches kids with an iron fist and a hug something that is missing in many of today's public schools. If you truly want the best education for your student this school is the best hands down.

Posted May 16, 2006

This school has been great! I have two very different children and yet the curriculum and teachers have allowed each of them to shine in their own ways. I look forward to seeing the great things that my third will do.

Posted May 7, 2006

My child has attended Challenge since Kidnergarten, he is now in the fifth grade. I really love this school. The principal makes himself available to the parents and is very understanding. The entire school loves kids and it shows. Acidemically my son has had some struggles but this is not a reflextion of the teachers or acedemics offered at Challenge. My son has ADD and the teachers have always been willing to work with myself and my son to highten his success. This is an excelling school and is a challenging school. If acedemics are important to you this is where you will want to send your child. I do wish there were more extra-curricular activities.

Posted May 4, 2006

I have agonized over my children's school placement, and after one academic year, I am convinced that I have made the best possible choice. One of my sons attended kindergarten in a Blue Ribbon, excelling AZ State public elementary school. At the end of the school-year, they had finished learning the ABCs and learned to count to 100. That was it. My younger son is now finishing kindergarten at Challenge Charter School. He is reading small books and does single digit addition and subtraction. My first grader has just finished reading Charlotte's Web. He is learning about magnetism, the world's oceans and landmasses and climates. The basic reading/writing/math instructions at this school are obviously superior. The science and Spanish are absolutely unparalleled! With the foundation Challenge is laying, my children will no doubt succeed in our world of growing expectations. Thank you to the Staff and the Millers!

Posted April 11, 2006

Challenge Charter School is an excellent school and deserves its 'Excelling' rating. My daughter attended kindergarten there this year. By the middle of the year she was reading at a first grade level. She loves going to school everyday and is learning not only language arts and math but science and social studies as well.

Posted March 24, 2006

I am a teacher at Challenge Charter School and have been for three years. This school, like any other business, has undergone staff changes over those years, and the new staff just keeps getting better and better. I enjoy teaching here and don't have any plans to leave. The families are dedicated and loyal and so is the staff. Our curriculum is challenging and the teachers expect a lot from the students. If you are looking for a school that will challenge your kids and welcome your involvement, it's Challenge Charter.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 8, 2006

The academic programs are solid. There are no sports and limited extracurricular activites.

Posted September 11, 2005

This is a wonderful Charter school in Arizona. Charter school often get a bad reputation, but this one is wonderful. Principals and teachers genuinely care about students and the inportance of their education. This is is an official Core Knowledge School...which is a terrific advanced ciriculum!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 7, 2005

I have to admit I thought this school would be good for my child but the teachers lack of compassion and understanding is outrageous. I can't believe that a teacher would rather fail a child then help them where they are lacking. The office staff leaves something to be desired they were the rudest people I have ever talked to not to mention the lack of commincation in that office. Oh and if you are a divorced spouse trying to be involved in your childs learning forget that they are absolutly no help. So no I would recommend this school unless you want your child to have no manners, behavriol problems, and learning issues......

Posted August 20, 2005

The academics at Challenge are incredible, but the music and foreign language programs don't exist for the higher grades at all, and now they have no art, either. We are very disappointed that our children have no art, music, or foreign language education at Challenge.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%
Female 53%N/A49%
Male 47%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Founder Miller inducted into the Circle of Honor (top 1% AZ Principals.) (2006)
  • National Charter School of the Year - awarded by Washington D.C. based Center for Education Reform (2007)
  • US Dept of Ed National Blue Ribbon School - highest academic honor (2007)

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:30
School end time
  • 3:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • *school advisory council: hands-on management team *school facilities and curriculum committes such as technology, uniform, discipline etc. *community-business partnerships. strong parental support organization and volunteerism *classroom instructional support *bi-annual parent-teacher conferences & at partent/ teacher's discretion *key members of admin. in civic organizations
  • Attend parent nights