Las Brisas Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted May 23, 2014

We have had two children go through Las Brisas, and our third child just finished his Fourth Grade year. What a difficult year! The classroom was way too crowded. There were 35 children in that room and the district or the school (I'm not sure which) refused to get a new teacher for the grade. It made things very tough on the teachers and students alike. I agree with a parent in an earlier comment about not expecting to hear any communication from this Principal. And that might be for the best as she does not possess tact or interpersonal skills to deal with parents anyway. Fortunately for Las Brisas, she has finally decided to retire. We as parents, and several teachers to whom we are close, look forward to a new era at Las Brisas with a new Principal. The teachers at this school have done a wonderful job in spite of their circumstances.

Posted April 10, 2014

My kids attended Las Brisas a couple years ago, and they loved it! However, teachers are moved around quite frequently at the time and I have heard that it has not changed in that respect. However, for kindergarten and first grade we found it stellar! Staff cared a great deal about the children. When my little ones went in for tonsil surgery the teachers checked in on how they were doing. I felt this was a great school. As I have family and friends still in the area attending. Its a good school.

Posted December 22, 2013

The cafeteria is nasty. We were there for a play and the ceiling tiles are dirty, broken, and falling down. There is an inch of dust on the speakers. Disgusting. Teacher quality varies tremendously from great to poor. There is a complacent attitude and the level of learning is not geared towards student needs or is it challenging. Great parents and kids attend here that is for sure. They deserve better.

Posted December 3, 2013

We moved to Arizona n July of 2012 and started school in Mesa. We moved to the Deer Valley district in June of 2013. Comparatively speaking, Deer Valley has less Staff Development days than Mesa did. My daughter had early release once a week for staff development instead of once a month like in Deer Valley. I was pleased with this but do still believe staff devel. is important. I have nothing but great things to say about Las Brisas so far. Mrs. Brown (1st grade teacher) is top notch!

Posted October 31, 2013

I am actually trying to move to get in district for Las Brisas. We've been there 2 years n have been very pleased. Teachers are wonderful and administration has been helpful n friendly as well. With any school kids attend, I'm sure there's a few teachers who aren't as great as others. We r glad to be a part of the las brisas family and we help out once a week in class as well! It's wonderful!

Posted October 28, 2013

..I'm a father whom is having difficulty placing my kids in school at las brisas elementary in Phoenix Arizona. unfortunately the kids mother chose nit to place my name on the birth certificates. don't know why other than spite ..I have custody of my kids...in fact child protective services gave them to me due to mother having open cops cases that the case manager thought it's best that I take them due to mother informing case manager despite the birth certificates not having me on the certificates that I am truly the father of them both. school districts wishes not to help ..even with a notorized power of attorney in which mother has signed over to my fiance and myself ..mother is without living space to take care of the kids...and I've been with them all their lives..we have talks mother into signing birth certificates over to us and still...they show bitterness and refuse to help. I even had the police called on my fiance and I after respectfully trying to ask principle to help resolve ...but refused to give us help

Posted December 12, 2012

We moved into the school's boundaries and my son started at Las Brisas half way through his 1st grade year. We have had such a great experience so far. The teacher communication is great and so organized. I actually feel like I have a role in his education instead of feeling left out. He says he like it better than he old school and everyone is so nice, kids and staff. So happy with the school! I feel a bit needs to be said about the "half days" comment made. Half days is a district policy not the school itself. We enjoy the few days they have half days, gives us some one on one time.

Posted May 10, 2012

I was excited to enroll my two kids this past year at Las Brisas (Deer Valley School District). However, I was very unhappy with all the 'half days" they had . It seems like staff development should take place over the summer so a child's education will not be interrupted. For the teachers, vacation and personnel time off for whatever reason should again be during the summer break or afterschool. Also, I am unhappy about the lack of math homework. Much emphasis is placed on reading and writing. There should be a balance of both!! I think the teachers I have encountered are wonderful people, I just wish the curriculum could be improved more!

Posted December 12, 2011

My kids say this is a 5 star school! They just started this year, and they love it!

Posted November 4, 2011

Las Brisas has been a wonderful school for our family. I have four children that all attend Las Brisas and look forward to going to school every day. Our experience has been a wonderful front office staff that is always helpful and courteous and teachers that genuinely take interest in our children's education, development and individual needs. Highly recommend.

Posted November 2, 2011

My four children attended Las Brisas and I have been a proud parent volunteer there for 18 years. Each and every teacher they have had throughout the years has been supportive, encouraging, and inspiring. They were fully prepared to move on to middle and high school. We are still a member of the Las Brisas neighborhood and community and I'm thankful for the teachers and staff that helped educate my children.

Posted October 30, 2011

My children have been going to Las Brisas since my oldest was in pre-school back in 1996 and I still have a child enrolled. I have had nothing but positive experiences at this school. Each staff member who has touched my childrens' life have aided in the growth and success of each of my children.

Posted September 20, 2011

Total lack of communication. My children are in their third year, and we've seen (never spoken to) the principal one time. Memos, newsletters, and so forth are full or grammatical errors. Some of the teachers are awesome, and some should of retired already. Your experience will depend on the teacher, and you can forget about communicating with an administrator.

Posted November 4, 2008

I have had nothing but good experiences at this school. My daughter was enrolled in the developmental skills preschool and is now in Kindergraden. She has grown in her speech since she started and I also have a 1st grader there and she has other learning concerns and she is exceeding there too. The teachers care and are so supportive of every student!

Posted August 2, 2008

This school is continually improving! I have 2 kids at this school and have seen the school change to become excellent in the last few years. There are many different teaching styles, so try to figure out where your child fits if you can. My son was recently moved to a new teacher mid-year due to the quickly growing student population. At first I was not sure this was something that I wanted for my son, but I was pleasantly surprised. The teacher was exceptional & helped my son achieve more than I ever thought possible. He is now more organized, more respectful (yes.. he is still a brat sometimes.. he is a boy), and he has improved a ton achademically since last year!! He writes really well & went from not understanding math to really doing great. He now likes school & I think his teacher made the difference.

Posted May 25, 2008

This school has the same problems that every public school has, but overall my kids love this school. Like with any school these days there are Perfect teachers and less than desirable ones here. I agree with another parent on here if your child is above average this is a great school as the leaning is above state standards and fast paced if your child is sturggling in any area you will need to be prepared to spend a good amount of money on tutoring. The teachers are made to move so fast and teach so much with in the 9 months that there is no time for them to explain in more detail.

Posted December 1, 2007

If your child is average or above, this is a great school. However, if you have a child who is struggling, get ready to pay a fortune in tutoring costs to bring them up to grade level. Our area recently experienced a growth spurt due to new housing and our classroom sizes have drastically increased. Over 30 kids in both my kids classes. Way too many especially for those that are struggling in my opinion. The school has an excellent before and after care program; I highly recommend it.

Posted November 28, 2007

I have to children at Las Brisas, which have had struggles in reading and writing. The school seems to be a whole language school, that varies from the district curriculum for reading and spelling, and in several cases math. I have been very active in the school working for more consistency in teaching.

Posted September 1, 2007

The teachers here are exceptional, although there are always a few you need to stay away from.

Posted July 15, 2006

Las Brisas is a wonderful school in the DVUSD. The Before and After School Program is outstanding. The caring, nuturing and creative staff brings an alternative place for your child to go before and after school at a reasonable cost. My children loved the program and I'm sure your's will too!
—Submitted by a staff

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 13%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5805 W. Alameda