Bad
Good

Desert Wind Middle School 4

Posted November 01, 2014
My student attends Desert Wind and I found that the group work and participation in 20+1 made a big difference. The new Principal is making good changes. The teachers communicate a lot. But I went to Conferences and not a lot of parents came, I thought there would be more?

Posted August 28, 2012
We are new to the community. Our kids come from TOP schools in the country. They have always been in honor roll (A+). I was hesitant to send them to the schools in Maricopa, but so far it has been good. Teachers listen and react in a timely manner to our concerns. The material covered until this point has not been challenging for my kids so we are still waiting for more material to come to them. The school has great potential and I cannot wait for my kids to contribute to the goals of the school to make it the best in the district. Parents do need to get involved in order to make this happen. Support the teacher and the school goals.

Desert Wind Middle School 2

Posted April 30, 2012
I think the school has potential to be a great school, but the classes were huge, organization is lacking, you cant reach the staff except the health office.

Desert Wind Middle School 3

Posted March 28, 2012
School is decent for the area. Office staff is absolutly horrid to deal with if you can get a hold of them. My child has been there 6-8 now & I can call them all day hit redial over & over...never get the secretary. I have to call every extention until somebody (hopefully) answers. The attendence is usually the one I speak to because she always answers :) The Teachers are awesome! Great school overall.

Posted March 27, 2012
From my experience with other schools in the Maricopa community Desert Wind provides one of the best educations available. The teachers are highly qualified and caring. As a whole they willing give of their time and energy to help each student achieve their best. They are aware of each students needs and ably modifies their lesson to meet these needs. The principal is perhaps one of the best principals I have met. He is willing to listen and is proactive in the community and school. There has never been a time that he does not have a listening ear and willing to work out a solution that is best for the student and teacher. As a whole the school is progressive and willing to embrace each opportunity and a new chance to learn.

Posted March 26, 2012
The school is focused on becoming a great school. As with all schools there are things you love and things you would like changed. What works for this school is that the teachers and principal are willing to listen. Good things are happening there.

Posted March 26, 2012
This school has done a tremendous job with our student. As a sixth grader the transition was difficult from elementary school but the staff kept in communication and stuck by our side. The principal is in classes a lot and the staff always seem happy. Take a visit, truly a great school but as parents, we need to support schools and not depend on them.

Desert Wind Middle School 1

Posted February 17, 2012
This is the worst school I have ever gone to. I have been there from the sixth grade to the eighth grade and they never spelled my name right or pronounced it right. It took the administration three years to enter my correct home address into their computer mailing system. The hallways are too crowded and I always have to lock my backpack because moth of the kids that attend that school are theives or use backpacks for trash cans. My sister attended this school a year before me and she said that if you weren't wearing your school ID around your neck by luch time, you have to clean the whole cafeteria after everyone's done eating. You also had to wait until Your lunch hour was 5 minutes before it ended to eat your lunch. My sister told my parents and my father tore her out of the school and yelled at the principle that it was child labor and it will not happen ever again or they were going to the school board about it. This is not BS, it's all true. The teachers barely go over anything we(the students) would be tested on. That's why the AIMS scores are so low, it's because we don't learn anything.

Desert Wind Middle School 3

Posted January 30, 2012
We have lived in this district for 4 years and have loved the elementary school my children attend/have attended. This is the 1st year I have a child in middle school and have found the school to be less than challenging for my child. The 6th grade class read a book known to be a controversial and no permission slip was sent home. My child, who is a quick reader, had the book finished before I realized he was reading it. This was upsetting to me. A permission slip did come home before showing the movie. I like to volunteer in the schools - it helps me to feel involved in my children's education and allows me to give thanks to the teachers for all their work. I have found it somewhat difficult to do so at this school - but they are slowly warming up to my help. In short: we love the band and for the most part have had a positive experience, but test scores continue to be low, the work could be more challenging for those students testing at or above state level - and it just isn't there. Most of the staff is easily approached, which is good, but overall communication could be improved.

Posted March 25, 2011
My daughter is a 6th grader at Desert Wind and we could not be more pleased. A number of her friends decided to be bused to another district. I think they made a huge mistake.

Desert Wind Middle School
35565 West Honeycutt Rd, Maricopa, AZ  85239
Last modified Desert Wind Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.