Bad
Good

Sousa Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 30, 2015
All of the teachers are awesome on recognizing these behaviors and model them as welk

Posted July 29, 2015
My daughter has been going here since kindergarten, she will be going into 4th grade this year. I've been so impressed with the teachers and the way they all do their best to make a bunch out of limited funding. I could send my kid to las sendas or Zaharias and chose Sousa! No regrets.

Posted December 07, 2014
The school likes to make excuses for children that are bullying. My daughter has an IEP and teachers don't like to follow. There is no communication from the teachers unless I communicate first. They don't seem to care when your child is failing. I would not recommend this school to anyone. They also do not have preschool.

Posted August 11, 2014
I am sad to report the experience at Sousa has been a horrible one for myself and my child. It is run like a penitentiary and and it has a very toxic environment. As a place of learning with young children having a warm and inviting climate would be appropriate but this is not the case at Sousa elementary. I warn parents that staff yell at the children and are extremely confrontational to parents. Be sure not to voice your concerns because retaliatory actions will take place. I would not recommend this school to anyone. Submitted by a parent (I agree with this parent) this is what I saw.

Posted April 17, 2014
My daughter has been at Sousa since Kindergarden. She is now in 2nd grade. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. The teachers are fantastic and the principal is wonderful. The teacher keeps me so informed and my daughter is excelling.

Posted April 11, 2014
John Philip Sousa Elementary School has provided excellent education for both of my daughters and soon for my son. Everyone keeps me informed when their may be a slight problem we can work on at home to better any curriculum concerns my daughters' may have. I attended Sousa when I was a child and I enjoyed every moment of it, this is why I chose John Philip Sousa for my children!

Posted April 16, 2012
Please don't believe the drivel of the previous review. My child has been at Sousa for 4 years and we are specifically staying in our home until he's done there because they are that good! My child who has ADHD is thriving under their care and watch. Unfortunately like at all shools, some parents think they are above the rules and protocol that comes with running a safe and learned enviroment. These people ignore instructions for picking up and dropping off children, chatting on cell phones while driving through the parking lot in their Mercedes, endangering everyone else with no regard for months before finally being confronted and than they have an axe to grind. I stand by Sousa and the Principal 150%. All public schools should be this awesome!

Posted March 08, 2012

Posted October 25, 2011
Our choices were Sousa, Ben Franklin-power or Zahara's...We chose Sousa! And we have enjoyed it very much! The school is very organized and aware of whats going on. The teachers are some of the best! They definitely care for the students they get each year! The programs are great and the quarterly family activities are super fun! The school is clean and organized. We are so happy with our choice! Our children love school because of Sousa! * Side note, all the negative talk about the principle in the reviews from 2004, you can disregard! They have changed the principle since then and she is organized and kind, and cares about her school and students!!

Posted February 10, 2011
Sousa has great teachers that care about the kids. My kids have always had the full support of the staff as they learn and grow. Plus, there are many opportunities for parent involvement. I'm very happy we live in the Sousa neighborhood.

Sousa Elementary School
616 N Mountain, Mesa, AZ  85207
Last modified Sousa Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sousa Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top