Dobson-Montessori School

Private | PK-8

Living in Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $74,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted March 16, 2014

My daughter has been going to DMS since she was in kindergarden and the experience has been amazing. She is now in 7th grade. This school is like no other. You have to come see Dobson Montessori!

Posted March 4, 2011

This is SUCH a wonderful school and I am so proud to boast that my son goes here. Nothing beats a learning environment where you are surrounded by an orchard, a vegetable garden, and animals. The children are grouped in classrooms with 1st-3rd graders all in one room, 4th-6th in another and 7th-9th graders in their own room as well. This allows the children to learn from the older children and for the older ones to be able to mentor the younger ones. If you ever drop by you will notice how well behaved these kids are. Compare this school to the failing public school across the street and you will see a HUGE difference. The teachers here are incredible and really go out of their way for these kids with fun projects, monthly field trips and an in-depth study each month on various topics. I can't comment on this school enough. If your child isn't enrolled here, he/she is really missing out on an incredible opportunity to learn, grow and have a valuable education.

Posted July 22, 2010

I took a tour of Dobson Montessori today and the teachers were warm and friendly, the students were all actively engaged and seemed to be excited about learning, and the grounds were beautiful with flowers blooming and vegetables growing. My son enjoyed petting the goats. I can't wait for him to start in the fall.

Posted June 27, 2010

Hard working, dedicated teachers create a caring atmosphere in which terrific learning takes place. Innovative project-based activities, collaborative work, and great after-school activities add up to a great education for our child, who has attended since kindergarten.

Posted September 4, 2009

Truly dedicated to teaching and raising good caring citizens. Our son is an only child so the various opportunities found at a montessori to work with younger and older kids is a great fit.

Posted May 6, 2009

My child attended the pre-school and will go to the kindergarten next year. The teachers and director worked tirelessly with my child and me to address our concerns and meet our individual needs. The staff works with parents and doesn't give up on kids. I feel my child is absolutely in the right place and is benfitting hugely from the instruction received here.

Posted March 2, 2009

My daughter loves this school, she loves the hands on projects and the mix of ages in the classrooms. I am always able to talk to a teacher anytime, without an appointment. The campus is small and that gives the parents a chance to interact with all the teachers from all of the grades and the principal is always available to answer questions. Likewise, the younger students can also interact with the older students and the other teachers. The student teacher ratio is also great because the students are able to get individual attention. my daughter can't wait for school to start back up after a break.

Posted February 3, 2009

Dobson gives my son not only a solid academic basis but also skills and knowledge that a child needs to live better. My son was previously in a public school (one of the Kyrene elementary schools) and I was a volunteer parent teacher there. The public school was run very well and the teachers were hard working, but they seemed to have a lot of pressure to do well on the standardized tests. They didn t have time to care about actual learning or personal growth of a child. At Dobson, academic work is individualized and integrated into interesting projects that are done in the afternoons. My son is always excited to do his projects. The school has great elective classes, Spanish classes, good P.E., and a field trip every month. There are also a lot of events led by the older students in which they can learn to be responsible and how to work together with peers. Dobson gives my son good balance of academics and whole person education.

Posted December 2, 2008

This school is a scam. They call themselves a Montessori school but the kids spend half the day sitting down at a desk doing monotonous math and written work, unable to participate in other activities such as show-and-tell until they were done. We were told they 'didn't teach to the test' but every night my children had homework from a book with the title 'Standardized Test Prep'. My children went to a TRUE Montessori school prior to this and they absolutely loved school and learning. Within a week at Dobson Montessori they were grumpy, irritable, bored, and declared that they hated school and hated learning. My children's individual needs were never addressed correctly. If you want a true Montessori experience for your child this is NOT the school for them.

Posted August 1, 2008

as a former student now in college I can look back and attribute almost all of my academic success to this school. They enforce such a strong desire on their students to learn, compete, and appreciate life. In my opinion results show more than claims. Of my classmates from the jr. high program just about everyone of them graduated within the top 30 from their high school most of them ended up at extremely prestiges private schools such as Upenn, Boston, Tulane, Stanford, NYU, and many others on academic scholarship. Nothing but praise for the experience and one that i wouldn't trade for anything.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 25, 2008

My daughter has been at this school since pre-school, she is now in the 6th grade. her state scores just came back, and she has scored in the top 1% of the nation. They teach children to love to love to learn. They teach children to be mentors for others. They teach children to love them selves and achive greatness. This is the most AWESOME school. I wish the rest of the worlds educators could learn and apply this schools methods.

Posted July 18, 2007

Dobson Montessori is child-centered in everything they do. Any conserns or questions I have are welcomed and quickly addressed. My child loves learning and she has rapidly excelled in this environment. They are also attentive to emotional development and encourage responsibility and respect. I have been very pleased.

Posted June 13, 2007

We couldn't be happier with this school. The teacher quality is excellent with one teacher to every eight children, the children are getting the individual attention they deserve. Every school should be like this one. My son loves going to school and is disappointed if I pick him up early. It seems that every child is very caring of each other and are all very well mannered. I cannot emphasize the quality of both the school and the teachers. There is a lot of parent involvement as time is taken to help with homework and assignments. We love this school.

Posted June 9, 2007

I think that Dobson Montessori is a great school if your child is a high achiever. If your child requires any one on one attention or extra needs-they cannot provide that.

Posted April 23, 2007

The preschool program is not a healthy environment for children. The school no seem concerned with the education of the children any longer and seems more interested in making money. The preschool program has become essentially a day care monitoring situation, as the teachers can not provide adequate attention to the students.

Posted January 3, 2006

We love this school! Our child has learned so much. The content is creative and relevent and the teachers really connect with the children to make topics 3-dimensional and fun. I couldn't be more pleased.

Posted July 12, 2005

my daughter attended kintegarden 2004-05 I absolutely love this school. The teachers love their jobs. we were welcomed with a smile every day. children are treated with the complete respect. positive enviroment... I can not think of one negative thing to say about Dobson Montessori. I doubt there is another school in AZ that even comes close to this 'gem'. You owe it to your kids to visit the school and see for yourself. Teachers always have the childs best interest at heart. This is the #1 school. The only downfall - it is a private school which means it cost money.

Posted June 19, 2005

Dobbson Montessori is a well rounded school. Apart from their strong academic program they include music, art and other extra curricular activities. Classes are small and the students get a more personalized instruction. They have been rated the top 95% in the state (in reference to the ACT scores). A high level of parent involvement is required if your child is to do well (they have a lot of homework). I am very pleased with the school and I would recomend it to anyone.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 8, 2005

Good teachers, with small class numbers allowing indivual attention. Challenges students with fun projects that the kids thrive on. Lots of homework. My kids love being there and want to be there.

Posted November 5, 2004

This school is excellent. I don't currently have children attending this school, but did previously. Of the many different schools that my children have attended - this school was by far superiour not just in academics, but also in the educational environment. The 'whole' child was nurtured and devoloped. . . Awesome school.

Asian 12% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • Other Montessori
Fax number
  • (480) 833-1496

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori