Canyon Rim Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted November 7, 2013

We recently moved to Mesa from Columbus, Ohio where our son attended catholic school. We were apprehensive about public schools but have been so happy with our experience at Canyon Rim so far. We love that the school is in the center of our community and that the school has a very active PTA. His teacher is actively engaged with the class and skilled at seeing her students potential. She has found ways to challenge our son and encourage his initiative.She has . The entire staff is warm and friendly. You can immediately sense how much they truly care about their students. This entire community is family centric and parents are very involved at this school. We could not be happier.

Posted September 8, 2013

We are looking forward to a new principal with new ideas and less micromanagement! Good-bye Dr. Brenner! We feel sorry for the school district that picks her up though. Be prepared for someone breathing down your neck teachers. Everything needs to go past her first. Parents, she will change everything she touches.!! Canyon Rim can breath now! Thankful for a new year starting in 2013
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 29, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Canyon Rim, its faculty, and staff! I grew up in a close-knit school where my mom taught and thought it would be difficult to find the same type of caring environment for my children - especially when I wasn't able to be at the school during the week. I was wrong! Canyon Rim goes above and beyond. The teachers and principal are caring educators, who truly have each student's best interest at heart. The PTA is hard-working, but amazingly open to new blood and volunteers (even from a working mom like me!) This is not one of those schools that caters only to one sub-set of families. They are welcoming and work hard to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to learn and grow. Kudos to Canyon Rim and to Mrs. Brenner for fostering such a nurturing school experience.

Posted October 5, 2011

The principle is awesome. She has great communication skills and is passionate about her school. The school overall is well maintained and offers plenty of extra-curricular activities. However, the sheer size of the student body is staggering. My daughter attended kindergarten there and then started first grade. In both classes there were close to 30 kids. The teachers that I knew would only allow parents in the classroom for a few hours in the morning-one parent at a time. So if your schedule didn't allow, or another parent picked a day you could go, you were not to be included in the classroom. This is bothersome because one teacher with 30 kids cannot possibly meet the educational needs of the students and you would think they would encourage all the extra helping hands they could get! As a result of poor support and large class sizes, punishment tends to be doled out in order to control the classroom. Plus the education is very far from experiential. The kids do massive amounts of worksheets and rarely dabble in science and arts. Its just not a very good education being offered there, but as far as public school goes I think its pretty normal.

Posted July 18, 2011

I am very disappointed thus far in Canyon Rim. The teachers DO NOT foster learning, they are not innovative. My best friend teaches at Eduprize in Queen Creek. When I visited that school and observed the curriculum and the way they make learning fun I would have transferred my son if it was not for the distance. Canyon Rims focus is discipline. They do not allow that kids will make mistakes. Not my first choice. Its not the worst but definitely not in my top 5 school. Its a shame because they have a lot of parents that try to be involve.

Posted July 17, 2011

My children have attended this school for years, my oldest graduating from the 6th grade into the Junior High school. I once Loved this school and could never imagine removing them. Unfortunately, this has changed. I don't feel the teachers are invested in their students as they once were. The community feel that I so enjoyed is dwindling away. As in previous post I have read stated, there are inappropriate behaviors that are over looked, even in the lower levels. I feel that this is no longer a school that is the right fit for my children and have decided to look into other options for this coming school year.

Posted November 16, 2010

My son went to this school for 1st Grade, 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade (2009/2010 school year). We were happy with the first 2 Grades, but 3rd Grade was a frustrating time for my all A student. He didn't like 3rd grade, though he loved his teachers in each grade level. Class management was an issue in his 3rd Grade class (I feel like his class was unfairly stacked against the teacher's ability to manage that amount of disruptions) and many times full class punishments were given taking away much needed recess or PE time. My son chose to try a different school because he felt he didn't deserve all these punishments when he was behaving as he was asked to behave. He was also tired of the military-like treatment to see which line was quieter to get to go to lunch. It's not a terrible school by any means, but I'm sad to say it's just not for our family at this point.

Posted September 29, 2010

Here is something you may want to know: students grades 4 and up are not always appropriate. Actually, they are usually not appropriate for school. There are bad influences, and the principal and teachers are NOT involoved in what the students say and do behind the scenes. My 3 kids that go to this school always come saying things like, "they were fighting behind the portables!" or "they kissed at the ramada, but the aides didnt see." That is one reason why i am uncomfortable with this school. Another reason is that the kids there are not very friendly. They dont hang out with all kids, but stay social with there group very strictly. Some kids are also lonley, and that is effecting there grade work. I would know, because 2 of my kids friends left them to hang out with others, and there average grade went down.

Posted June 10, 2010

My daughter is in Miss Robyn's Preschool class. I realize this is 2 1/2 hours a day, but my daughter has made huge progress in the last 6 months by being in her class and having the support of Miss Julie and Miss Lisa, the assistants. I love the school and their policies. I volunteer and I can see what goes on. I'd highly recommend other parents to volunteer. It's one of the best ways to see what really goes on at school. We love Canyon Rim!

Posted June 9, 2010

School should feel and be a safe and fun place to go. I feel this both for students and teachers. Students/teachers should have the opportunity to grow and explore. I have had a number of friends say how unhappy they are with the quality of leadership. Teachers are on edge with what the principal will do or say next. They are being Micromanaged! This is not a conducive way of learning or teaching! As teachers/parents we are taught that we have to be flexible. Well the Principal needs to go back to school to learn about appropriate classroom management.

Posted May 7, 2009

I have had the experience of working with many schools around the east valley and Canyon Rim is by far the best! The office staff, principal, special ed. department, and teachers are all a team. Everyone works to do what is best for the child as an individual.

Posted March 6, 2009

This is our second year at Canyon Rim. We have never known Dr. Harrison, although we have heard great things about her. Principal Brenner is astounding! Our family is thrilled with this school. The teacher/parent/principal participation in school events is fantastic. I volunteer my time at the school every week and always feel welcome by teachers and staff. And Principal Brenner does return calls at night. She has called me back after hours twice so far. I think she is doing a fantastic job. I have seen her fight for what she knows is right, not only for teachers but for students. And the PTA at this school does alot! They have many events that bring the school 'family' together. I hope we never have to leave this school. We love it!!!!!

Posted June 23, 2008

I am a parent who volunteers at Canyon Rim regularly. I am ALWAYS treated with respect and courtesy when I go to CR. The staff is always friendly. Everybody loved Dr Harrison. Heck, I would be first in line for her fan club myself. However, Dr H had been in education for MANY, years. Her children are grown, and she committed ALL of her time to CR. Do I always see Mrs. Brenner at every school event? No.Do I see her out on the playground every single day? No. Does she return calls at 8pm, like Dr. H did, No. BUT, all of the school events run smoothly and CR is a safe and welcoming environment for my kids. Mrs B leaves at the end of the day to care her OWN kids. As a Mom, I respect that. Give this woman a break it's her 1st year! Lighten up!

Posted June 5, 2008

Wow! That sounds like a principals response to a year gone bad. Having 12 teachers leave in your first year should say something to the district about the leadership at the Rim. I am a parent who has tried to take part in the classroom and have got the cold sholder from the office staff when coming into the school to participate. I have always felt welcomed since the school was open to work in my child's classrooms until this school year. As a parent I feel that our school that was opened under a great leader is no longer our school. It has become the principal that we don't know as a parent or students. At school wide functions we don't see her around and makes few parent contacts. Teachers feel the same way with little support from the district.

Posted June 3, 2008

Canyon Rim is an exceptional school with outstanding staff. The new principal has shined against all odds of following in the footsteps of the finest, Dr. Harrison. There is a very high family participation above and beyond any expectation. The reception by the staff at the front desk is always friendly and the overall feeling of this school is warm and welcoming. Every teacher that was have had with all of our children strike me as teachers who love what they are doing and excel because they appear to really enjoy the environment of Canyon Rim. Therefore, the children excel. As with any school, business or otherwise, the success of the environment filters down from those managing. I give this school five stars.

Posted May 20, 2008

The teachers are wonderful but the Principal needs a little work. I give this school and excellent rating because of the teachers not the principal. Without the teachers it would be nothing. She does not know who the families are and the kids do not know who she is. They are almost scared to be with her. Dr. Harrison would walk through classrooms weekly and this principal is barely visible to parents and students. Teachers are leaving that have been with the school since it opened. 5 to be exact. That is such a sin. Hopefully the teachers will stick it out. Even though the shouldn't have to.

Posted November 1, 2007

I use to give this school a five star but the sorry fact of it all is that Dr. Harrison is gone. And the New principal seems to not really be involved. With parents as well as the children. Canyon Rim has a reputation of really getting the community to come together for the betterment of the school. And I see this new principal already having problems with programs that really have made the school what it is today. I know of disatisfaction with in the administration with this woman as well, and am very conserned.

Posted February 25, 2007

We love canyon rim! My daughter is a kindergartener and is doing exceptionally well. Mrs. Jones is terrific and handles 26 5-years olds with ease. The pta is very involved and is successful in getting the parents involved as well. We are heartbroken that dr. Harrison is retiring after this school year. Hopefully her replacement will handle the school, teachers, students, and parents with the same dedication as dr. Harrison. We have waited for our daughter to attend canyon rim since the day it opened. We have witnessed what a great job they have been doing and can't wait for our next child to attend.

Posted September 19, 2006

We moved from Queen Creek last years and i have seen a dramatic change in both MY daughters they love their school as for me the staff is great they put an effort that is awesome! I Love Canyon Rim it the best school for my girls!

Posted September 19, 2006

The school is just great and cannot say anything negative! Its a wonderful school but just some of the kids don't want to play with my kids, they tend to stay with there own, know what I mean?

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 23%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 380-0105

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now