Meridian

Public | PK-6 | 868 students

Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The new Principal is extraordinary. He is very professional and the new teachers at the school take such an interest in the students. It is refreshing to see such renewed enthusiasm.

Posted February 7, 2014

So upset with the front office staff and their lack of customer service. We are paying their wages and we often feel harassed by them as if our kids are less than. Very clickish....

Posted December 10, 2013

Our family has had an AWFUL experience at Meridian Elem. We have 2 children here- 3rd grade special education and the "gifted" 1st grade program. The SPED (Autism specific) program is severely lacking and has EXTREMELY limited support to the teacher. I came for a scheduled "volunteer" day in the SPED room to find my child alone in the corner holding adult scissors. The "gifted" 1st grade program consists of "extra worksheets" and homework. There's very limited advanced learning in the actual classroom-it's a "mixed" level classroom and time is spent getting other students up to grade level. The principal (12/2013) is a very frigid unfeeling woman worried about the bottom line before the safety or learning of the students. I've never seen a smile or a kind word from her. We moved from the Midwest with high expectations from the ratings. DO NOT BE FOOLED. Test scores only take you so far. Class size is HIGH, support is LOW. There are some great teachers, but they are hard to find. I am sure they move elsewhere due to lack of support and encouragement from the principal. I urge you to research Charter schools and exhaust all options before purposely choosing this school.

Posted October 23, 2013

My daughter is in her second year at Meridian. I've had no complaints other than pick up takes quite a long time in the car loop but I imagine that to be the norm. My daughter has really liked both her teachers. Ms Singer and Mrs. Prach are both great. They are dedicated to teaching not only the curriculum, but discipline with positive reinforcement and working as a group. Great school. I don't like how students are released at a different time on Wednesdays but still happy overall.

Posted May 10, 2013

Meridian Elementary has been a wonderful school experience for my third grader. We have had a positive experience in all area's of his education thus far. The Teacher's and staff have been a real asset for this school. The Principal -Mrs Hester is TOP NOTCH. The PTSO does a TERRIFIC JOB in providing the major purchases the school wants and needs. Job well done Meridian Elementary. Sincerely, Barbara Porter

Posted February 27, 2012

I wish front office staffs were nicer and welcoming to kids and parents. Principle seems nice, little stiff at times. I don t feel welcome whenever I am there helping in class. I believe they can be more polite and respectful. After all we are the taxpayers too and public school is our right and they need to stop looking at kids and parents as burden and please someof the staff may want to stop complaining about how hard their job is, many of us don t even have a job at this time.

Posted October 24, 2011

I LOVE the principal and all the staff I know here!!! My daughter has an exceptional Kindergarten teacher who is both caring/positive and teaches my daughter exceptionally well! Would recommend school to all!!

Posted October 3, 2011

I agree with the writer parent sept 20 . At first I was happy about the school and the teachers, but as the month s passes, I am less impressed. It seems most teachers and staffs are not happy with their job, most seem unapproachable. They seem to be uptight therefore enforce harsh policies and give Write Ups for some nonsense incidents! The children need positive instruction and teaching, not punishment and write-ups. I believe in counseling and encouragement not harsh penalties, especially these super young kids. Negative reaction by teachers and principle will not help them but positive reinforcement will. How about giving them positive smiley notes for their good act? Not sure if my children will finish out this year at this school. They are not "what I consider excellent or even good school for my kids.

Posted September 20, 2011

Not very happy with my kid teacher or principle. They have few policies that are not logical for young kiddos.

Posted May 12, 2011

I have a son in kindergarten and another son in second grade. My second grader is in an IEP program and is receiving excellent attention which is showing in his grades. We are very happy with the teachers & staff.

Posted August 27, 2010

I think the school has excellent teachers and challenging academic programs. The ALP program for 4th through 6th is awesome. I couldn't ask for a better teacher. He makes it fun and exciting and the kids excell. The problem is in Jr High, there is no ALP. There are honors classes, but I don't feel my kids are learning as much or as fast as they did in the ALP program. As for parent involvement, I feel there is little parent involvement in classrooms, various meetings, and fundraisers throughout the year.

Posted August 12, 2010

I can't believe someone would give the school only three stars and then misspell "strict". Sounds to me like someone should be attending Meridian Elementary to regain an understanding of basic words and how to spell them. Maybe that's the reason that individual cannot spell correctly - there were not enough "STRICK" teachers (as they put it). How sad...

Posted January 14, 2010

This is my daughter's second year at Meridian. We have had a great experience with the Teachers and Staff at Meridian. My only complaint is parking. Both lots are very small and do not offer many spaces for parents to park.

Posted September 9, 2009

the school is ok but it has some strick teachers in it.

Posted May 10, 2009

We have been at Meridian since our son enrolled in their first kindergarten class in 2000. We've been 100% impressed with this school and all its faculty. The principal is very effective and also very progressive. Whenever problems are identified, she intervenes, quickly and effectively. The teachers have all been excellent in communicating with us about class activities and any challenges our child is facing in the classroom. The PTSO does an awesome job and we have never had an unpleasant encounter with any staff member -- they're always extremely hepful. I think the staff at Meridian does an exceptional job and I'm glad our child attends school there.

Posted May 7, 2009

5 For all areas. I've found the entire staff to be kind, caring and friendly.

Posted February 15, 2008

I don't know how many people know this but......public education is underfunded!!!!! If you want schools to change, vote or e-mail congressmen and senate officials! There are 20-25 students in every class. I hate to tell you that your child isn't going to get their undivided attention! I know that little Sally and Timmy are the best children ever! But you have to take care of some things at home. The principal does a darn good job dealing with some of the nutjob parents out there. Every time I've called the school, she calls me back within the next day. The teachers are the sweetest people ever. They give me tips on what to help with the kids and they actually care about the kids. If you want a teacher or principal to focus just on your student send them to a boarding school.

Posted October 17, 2007

Coming from a charter school over the past 3 years it has been a delight at Meridian. The staff are so delightful and refreshing after our experience there. The discipline is handled in such a positive manner in comparison. The principal is very hands on...knows the children by name...goes into the classrooms regularly...and even makes the morning announcements herself each day. I have been impressed overall with the staff at Meridian. I have also observed the aides on the playground and how they speak to the children there. Kids can be very disrespectful, but the aides speak to them with respect, unlike some schools. This school also encourages a lot of parental involvement which is so very important. I am so glad that we made the change here when we did.

Posted October 16, 2007

I am very dissapointed with Meridian. The school has not handled the all day kindergarten classes very well. My child's teacher has missed quite a few days of school this year due to scheduled seminars to advance her teaching ability. I am seriously rethinking my decision to send my child to public school.

Posted September 4, 2007

Moving from Maryland, we were extremely dissatisified with the quality of education at Meridian, from the principal to the teachers. In a nut shell, we agree with the parent who posted 6June07. We have experienced the same problems.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 497-4039

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now