Cambridge Academy East

Charter | K-6 | 273 students

Small classroom sizes and highly qualified Teachers

School Official Point of View

Posted April 12, 2011

The vision of Cambridge Academy East is an excelling, achievement-oriented environment where children in grades K-8 learn, master, and eventually apply foundational skills in a sequence that logically builds from the most basic elementary content to increasingly higher order conceptual thinking. We are a school committed to the family, embracing the notion that the school is an extension of the home, and therefore we must work together to achieve success. It is our belief that all children have the ability to achieve greatness and become the person they dream of being. At Cambridge Academy East, we provide a rigorous and Arizona State Standards aligned curriculum, disciplined environment where our students are academically and socially prepared to excel in demanding college preparatory schools.

Posted April 8, 2008

My daughter loves her teacher and loves going to school everyday! She has learned so much this year and I am definitely sending her back next year! We went to the open house at Zaharis and I was not impressed at all. They had no chairs for the students? No individual desks with chairs? That is only the beginning of the issues. I am so glad we found Cambridge Academy!

Posted March 10, 2008

A person writes that he is disapointed becasue the school is so small....but that is the benefit of being at Cambridge. the classes are small, the teachers get one on one time with students and the kids LEARN! There is a multipurpose room that functions when PE needs to be indoors, when there is an assembly and as a cafeteria. The kids get music in their classrooms....there is not need for a room. Art room, every classroom displays the handiwork of the kids....If he wanted these thing s he should go to a bigger school. I am leaving my 4 kids at Cambridge and would not consider anything else. Until I moved close I drove 45 minutes one way to get them to the school where they get the best education, a smaller social environment and warm friendly greetings each day.

Posted March 7, 2008

One of the things we love most about Cambridge Academy is that it is a small school. We find the teachers and staff very friendly and know my children and our family by name. You won't find that at a public school with 400+ students. So what if they are short on rooms for PE-Music-Spanish and Art. The school is growing each year. At least they still offer these programs!!! Many schools are removing programs like these or don't offer them period. What is more important, to have their own room to learn these special programs or that they are provided the exposure to these areas? These are the reasons my children are at Cambridge: Awesome & Caring teachers and staff-Wonderful programs Art-Music-Spanish and PE-Year round schedule.

Posted February 22, 2008

I love this school and it's wide range of academics offered. Many schools are taking away Art from their programs. My children have brought home some fabulous art projects this year. Their art teacher exposes them to different styles of art and even teaches them about artists. I was amazed my 4th grader could recognize a Van Gogh painting when we were out. Allowing art in a classroom provides children with the opprotunity to grow beyond the 3 R's. They are allowed the priviledge to be creative and open minded. Not all students are successful in math or spelling. Art has helped my children's self esteem and opened them to endless possibilities. I hope art continues to be something provided at Cambridge. My children look forward to it each week!

Posted February 20, 2008

The last two reviews are obviously from the same disgruntled parent. My question for him/her would be- why are you still there? Why would you keep your child at a place where they aren't learning? My child loves this school. I also came because of the reviews. I knew however that the reviews would be subjective and that one school cannot possibly meet the needs of everyone. I can only speak for myself. Moving my child to this school was the best thing i ever did for my child. He is getting a fantastic education and all of the teachers, staff, and administrators are wonderful!

Posted February 16, 2008

I am so glad the school year is almost over. I can't wait to remove my child from this biased school. My child hates to go to school and it is an effort to get to school every day. My child says the teacher has her favorites. At Parent-Teacher Conferences I felt the teacher had another agenda that was more important and she couldn't wait to get it over and done with. I was wasting her time.

Posted July 19, 2007

My son has been a student at Cambridge Academy for the past four years. His teachers have challenged and nurtured him every step of the way. We are very happy with our decision to send him to Cambridge, and we highly recommend the school to anyone looking for an alternative to public education.

Posted June 13, 2007

My son graduated from Cambridge this year. We are fortunate to have found this school for our son as I was not as lucky when I was his age. He was excited to go to school everyday and academically he is more than prepared for Junior High. He keeps asking me if we can still go vack to visit Cambridge next year!

Posted June 6, 2007

I drove 36,000 miles in 1 year to bring my children to this school. It was worth every mile and every drop of gas that went into my tank. My Children are 2 grade levels ahead or their friends in the Florence School District. The teachers are excellent! They go above and beyond! The office staff know your child by name. International night is awesome! Field trips-I wish that I went to Cambridge as a kid. The Science projects the kids did were great. You will not be disappointed if you send your child to this school! Cambridge prepared my children for our next part of our journey. I will always be grateful for them!!!

Posted May 31, 2007

I have been very pleased with Cambridge Academy. My children seem to be very happy attending this school. There are some great teachers currently employed... however there does seem to be turnover that the parents are not notified as to the why? This school also needs to incorporate Spanish as part of the daily curriculum. Spanish is currently taught once a week. This would allow our children to compete in todays world. If your child struggles with any subject(s) the teaching staff is available to coach/help once a week! Overall we are delighted with the leadership this school has taken and feel they are on some of the cutting edge of today's issues,i.e. global warming. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting a smaller environment for their children in the early years!

Posted May 18, 2007

I love this school, my child just finished her 2nd year at this school, and I have to say I am thrilled at the things that she learned,while also having fun. Besides reading, writing, math, they also offered extra activities, like a fabulous field trips, Honor Roll Night,Talent Show, Battle of the Books,etc. All the comforts of a public school without the chaos. My children are so excited about their year, that they cannot wait for next year. I reccomend this school to everyone. What a great positive learning enviornment.

Posted April 25, 2007

In an August 2006 review it says social studies and sciences are limited... Well, I am glad to say that is very wrong. Each year they hold International Night where the kids show off what they learned about different countries to the communities, they have and excellent well rounded social studies program, including a great program on Arizona and the desert. And science, well, they don't cause explosions in a chemistry lab, but my sons and daughter are very well versed in science. How many Kindergartners can tell you all about snakes and which are venomous, and they do a super job on space exploration too. Save Chemistry for Junior High, Cambridge is doing a great job teaching them the things that matter.

Posted April 5, 2007

After two months at this school I pulled my child. My child learned very little. Homework was given in lessons that hadn't been taught and I fount the teacher was more interested in gabbing than teaching. As a school, I think it leaves a lot to be desired!

Posted December 7, 2006

I just love this school. It has made all the diffrence in my childs education. The small classroom is wonderful. Having moved my child from a nearby school with 30 kids in a class, it's nice to know that a home life enviorment is still available. I feel the teachers truley enjoy teaching.

Posted October 13, 2006

I think Cambridge Academy is a great school for kids who need to be challenged and work ahead. For kids who struggle I feel they get left behind.They work so far ahead that my son just ended up lost and left behind. I also think they do not hold kids accountable.

Posted August 18, 2006

They do a good job teaching reading...but that is about the only subject that they teach well. The science and social studies programs are very limited. There are some quality teachers at Cambridge, but the tremendous amount of nepotism doesn't allow for high quality teachers and administrators. In short...run, don't walk away from Cambridge Academy East.

Posted August 16, 2006

In my opinion Cambridge Academy is one of the best charter schools in the state of Arizona and definately in the east valley. My children are in their 3rd year there. Each morning there is a staff member to greet your child as you drop them off and most know the children by name. It is a small school with small class sizes. I love that and so do my kids! They really get to know their classmates and staff and become like an extended family. I talk with friends and can't believe their nightmares. I would highly recommend to any parent truly concerned with their child receiving the best education possible to check it out!
—Submitted by a staff

Posted August 3, 2006

I feel that Cambridge Academy East, is the best grade school. My Grandson attends school there and is in 6th grade. He is an above average student and it is hard to find a school that will work with the bright students. Cambridge does. Cambridge makes sure every student has the opportunity to excel. They go above and beyond to make the student feel good about themself. Each accomplishment is praised. I highly recommend this school to anyone who cares about the education their child receives. I work at Cambridge and I am the school Grandma. We are one big happy family, all the staff knows every student. We have an excellent PTO that has family activities each month. That means, Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles. We love family involvement. If you are looking for the best school, please visit Cambridge Academy East. You won't be disappointed.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted July 1, 2006

The staff is caring and takes the time to get to know the student body. Our son's test scores stayed high and he was challenged to learn.

Posted June 13, 2006

I was very disappointed in this school. The attire that some teachers chose to wear was extremely questionable.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

Language learning

• Foreign languages
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Girls on the run

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Amy Monarrez, Principal
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 325-2365

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Foreign languages
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Sunshine Acres

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom