Highland Jr High School

Public | 7-8

Posted August 7, 2013

HJHS is a sad excuse for a school! The children run the place. The lack of respect of children, as well as the staff and teachers there is absolutely unbelievable! Thank God for charter schools!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 13, 2010

3rd year of having a child in the school. Given the economic environment and the status of school funding around the state, I give HJHS a 5 out of 5. So pleased with the teachers, programs, and staff. Thank you.

Posted November 30, 2009

Highland is so amazing with its students, like me, and teachers. It is a good school for any child.

Posted January 4, 2009

Highland JR. High is 1 of the best schools out there. The teachers are amazing the principal does his job wonderfully and the students are nice everyone is so caring its hard to believe it. I miss this school so much! I love You Ms. Redden Mr. Brazill(with 2 ls) Mrs. Deaton, Mr.Day(R.I.P), Mrs.Cuppage, Mrs.Bennet

Posted January 3, 2009

Every school will have that one teacher your kid will not like, and yes meeting are durning the day so parents can interact with the child. One bump in the road does not make this a bad school. They have an amazing staff. Ex: Mr.Macnamara, Mr.Tontello, Mrs.Cavalletto, Mrs.Carrio, Mrs.Kulkarni, Mrs.Chilton, and Mrs.Barnhart.

Posted August 25, 2008

Highland Jr is an excellent school.

Posted May 30, 2008

This school rocks! I love it! I love all my teachers ( Mr. Brazill, Ms. Barnhardt, Mr. Smith, Mrs. Deaton are my favorite!). And I love the principal! They are all so nice and the conselors care SO much! Everyone is always smiling and happy! The students are always willing to work together and accept others! It is so fun there! The school has a great enviroment, too! In class we always do hands on activities! It's truee I've only been there one year, but it feels like a life time! I can't wait until next year! I wish this was my school forever!

Posted February 10, 2008

I think HJHS is a wonderful school with the most caring and hands-on staff ever!

Posted January 30, 2008

This school totally rocks my sox!! The tachers are awesome and way fair and most of the kids are pretty nice to eachother. We love you mr. o'hara, mr. v, mrs. almanza, and everyone else too :)

Posted January 26, 2008

Well I go there right now and all I can say is its amazing! Yes, we do have cliques, but every group is willing to add another member to the group. There aren't drugs or alcohal and mainly, there aren't that many bullies. Its a fun and safe inviorment! Every last Friday of the month, we have a guest speaker from the organization of 'Not My Kid' and I love those talks. They tell us about eating disorders, drugs abuse, bypolar disorder, everything! The people speaking have gone through it and don't say 'Don't do drugs' but rather tell you the truth behind it all in a first person stance. Its a wonderful thing! Also, their academic levels are always high and athletics are wonderful! I was a part of the softball team and had a blast!!! We won the district conference and I have to say the coach was fantastic!

Posted January 10, 2008

I was recently a student at Highland Jr. High School about 2 months ago, I just moved to Florida. But I also attended Highland Jr. last year and for a couple of months this year, and I honestly think that is the best school out there. Everyone there is amazing. The teachers are great at what they do, even if they can be a little crucial at it, they do it for a reason. The students are one of a kind, you will never meet anyone like them. The staff workers are very nice and do a good job. I would do anything to go back to this school, it was like a home to me. Also, the after school games they had a lot of fun, I enjoyed being there with my friends and watching or just hanging out. I learned a lot at this school, and I love the French teacher Mrs. Hodgson!

Posted January 6, 2008

there are more non-morman kids than there is. there are different groups that the students hang with. i personaly don't stik with one group and branch out to different groups. yes some kids are bullies and maybe the mormans have high standerds and thoughs who notice it respect them but i think it is just on how the kids act and there parenting at home.

Posted January 3, 2008

I don't know what people are talking about when it comes to mormons, that's not true. and Highland is a fatastic school. When i first thought about the school i wanted to go to last year, i didn't ever think 'HIGHLAND', but when i got to meet the people that were there already, i thought otherwise. Yes, there are cliques, but what school doesn't have them? And the school support the kids have for games, activities, everything. they brong so much tp the table. I should know becuase i go to every game! I know there are alot of cliques but in the end, we all come together and it's great. It is the best school, really.

Posted December 18, 2007

Mr.Bowers is the best priciple ever and the teachers are great

Posted November 13, 2007

I don't know what one of the parents was saying on a couple pages back about being mormon you get treated better that is not true. There are barely any mormons at this school and believe me you don't get treated better. On another note our pto is very very cliquish. I think it's horrible. Also we have some good teachers and some bad teachers.Just to name a few Mrs. Almanza, Ms. Cuppage, Mrs. Carrillo, and Mr. O'Hara and don't forget Miss Barnhart.

Posted November 9, 2007

Highland is a great school and I don't know what parents are talking about. I never see anyone bullied or being favorited and the principal is great. The school is not overcrowded and everywhere I go I see a smiling face, I am a cheerleader this year and it is awesome how much we Hurricanes support each other, some parents need to get a life and not take their probs out on the awesome hjhs! <3

Posted March 24, 2007

Two of my girls have already graduated from this junior high and my son will soon be attending. I found it to be a wonderful school with great leadership.

Posted May 8, 2006

We moved our daughter from a small k-8 to this school for 7th grade. Her teachers were very dedicated but there was not a lot of one-on-one due to the class sizes. Parents are not very involved and almost expected not to be.

Posted May 2, 2006

we have had a great experience at this school, from students, to teachers, to adminitration.

Posted January 11, 2006

Impossible for working parents to contribute as all meeting are scheduled during working hours. Absolutely no outside people asked to help with anyone other than the 'clique'.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

661 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

661 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

659 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

634 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

634 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6915 E. Guadalupe Rd.