Peoria, AZ

Oakwood Elementary School 4

Posted August 22, 2015
Good teachers, nice campus, great principal. My 5th grader does get bullied a little bit but that can happen at any school. I hate the school's website. None of it ever gets updated and you can't find out anything about the school without a tour. My problem with this school is that there is nothing really special about it. No fun after school programs ( just hanging out in am/pm) No girl scouts clubs. ( My girls had to quit when we started here). They do not have free full day kindergarten ( none of Peoria public schools do). This school has less hands on learning and less field trips than any school I have known. It is possible that the school is just too busy with common core to really be able to make it much fun. Is it a good school? Yes. I am just bummed that I don't love it.

Posted January 25, 2015
Oakwoods is a fantastic school with teachers and administrators that care! I am amazed at the amount of things the PTSO does for Oakwood! I love the new face lift in the front of the school ! Looks like a brand new place! My child gets an outstanding education at Oakwood!

Posted February 09, 2014
Although I am not as involved as I wish I could be, I find the access that is online to be great! It is nice to be able to help my grand daughter when she is here with her homework by using the homework help ability! really good idea!

Posted October 24, 2013
Oakwood Elementary. My nephew goes to school there and is in the 3rd grade. He says that he loves his school. He likes how well the kids behave but said that you have to be careful because sometimes kids tease each other. I am not a parent there, but I love him very much and think maybe he was referring to himself. Please be watchful of this because at this young age children can be so damaged.

Posted August 01, 2013
Standout staff, involved parents and great study body with increasing diversity. Couldn't ask for more in an elementary school!

Posted August 29, 2012
So far, so good. Our son started 2nd grade here last year. We live two miles away and other schools are closer. We chose this one, based on performance, when we moved to the area and we have not been disappointed. We have daily email communication with the teacher (just like last year) and the parent involvement is what helps the school be a success. Its about the people that are Oakwood. And we have nothing but good things to say, even after Principal Bower was promoted to High School. The systems are proven, if the parents stay involved too.

Oakwood Elementary School 2

Posted April 29, 2012
After 4 children graduating from this school with great success, sadly we will be taking our last two out and looking for another school next year. They have lost my trust this year . The communication has been horrible and when brought to the principals attention, we were left in the dark. We went over half the year without a report card for my daughter and her iep had to increase with time for next year as she actuarially lost reading skills from the year before. We are very disappointed with our daughters education this year and feel she has lost a year because of the staff at Oakwood.

Posted September 13, 2011
Read the unhappy post, shocked as well, dont move to Texas,Spring area and other schools are horrid!!!! My kids loved Oakwood never had a problem there have, always compared other schools to this one and none came close to being a wonderful school. We want to move back just so my kids can go to Oakwood. Crazy, I am totally surprised about those comments, hope to God they can fix things, we so depend on our schools and loving teachers and staff, that have always been at Oakwood. Our family misses everyone at Oakwood, thankyou for giving my children some wonderful memories, they always say, they wish we could move back to AZ,they miss school there!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 28, 2011
I absolutely love this school. We are on a variance like alot of the students who go here. We are happy to drive to get such a great education. I read the comment posted last week and I think how anybody could feel this way about this school is unbelievable. . My children have wonderful friends, teachers and Mr. Bower is the BEST. We love it at Oakwood! It is truly an A+ Excelling School!

Oakwood Elementary School 1

Posted August 25, 2011
Wow! I was very excited that we lived in the neighborhood of a school that was rated a "9". Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of this. My daughter started half-day kindergarten. They only had one option for a teacher. She doesn't communicate with the parents AT ALL! After two weeks, the only thing my child learned was different ways that a teacher tells a kid to shut up. She made them sit on the hot pavement while she walked the kids to their cars. Classroom was way across campus from the other kindergarten classrooms. Talked to Principal Bower about kid not liking her teacher and he GOT IN HER FACE AND CALLED HER MANIPULATIVE! TO A 5 YEAR OLD! VERY DISAPPOINTED! LOOKING FOR NEW SCHOOL ASAP!

Oakwood Elementary School
12900 N 71st Ave, Peoria, AZ  85381
Last modified Oakwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top