Peoria High School

Public | 9-12 | 1702 students

Posted June 4, 2014

My children were at this school 2013/2014 school year and I am pulling them out and taking to a charter school instead. In this past school year there has been favoritism shown by a teacher that was left completely unchecked and a student lived with another teacher apart from parents. That student was given teacher online access to student grades and allowed to do things other students weren't. It was a complete blurring of authority. My child was at the mercy of another student's approval for grades but the system was not set up in a way to protect my child. There is a building set up with security guards for teens to take classes that have been expelled in the past. I am concerned for the learning environment my children are in and as a result I am pulling them out of Peoria high school. I do not recommend this school. If you have a choice and can go to a different district I would.

Posted May 1, 2014

This school is horrible! Nobody here wants to excel at anything, everyone gossips, even the teachers and staff, and there are a lot of disrespectful people that go here. The atmosphere isn't very positive. There are a lot of fights, and there are not very many people here that have any morals or values. This school is ghetto-like, because of the way that people here act. There are a few good teachers at this school, but they don't encourage anyone to do above average. If you have a child and want what's in their best interest, don't let them go to this school. My experience going to this school was awful.

Posted August 23, 2012

WHO'S HOUSE!?!? CAT'S HOUSE!!! AAAAAHHH!!!! my freshman year i went to two different schools. Carl Hayden && Copper Canyon.. BUT then i moved to PHS and thats were i spent the last 3 AMAZING years of my high school life... and i LOOOOOOOVED IT! every bit of it..! they help you out SO much and all there electives are WONDERFUL at helping with ur future career. theres so much LOVE at the school, we're all practically family PHS school spirit is THE BEST with clubs, sports, and classes. you really feel like the teachers care, i couldn't have picked a better school to graduate from. ONCE A PANTHER..**ALWAYS** A PANTHER

Posted April 17, 2011

Wow. What a horrid disappointment this school is. My grand daughter went here, and when they moved to a different district, they found out just how poorly PHS is really performing. The staff convince the kids to get all their electives out of the way as soon as possible. Leaving NO room to catch up if anything happens. Shame on PHS. Too bad I can't give this school negative stars.

Posted November 21, 2010

I graduated from Peoria High School. I thought it was an amazing school and I still think it is an amazing school. I like the idea of students being able to pick and choose their own schedule. It helps with the idea of independences and decision making, which really helps in the real world and for college. And even if the students are making poor choices, they still have their councilors there to make sure they stay on the right path. The traditions held at PHS is really what makes it Peoria High School, and what makes us all come back for the football games and other activities. If it were not for Marching Band, I would not have all the wonderful memories that I do have from my high school days. It really is a wonderful school.

Posted September 17, 2009

Tradition, Tradition, Tradition! All my kids love it as did I! I am a former Peoria High student as well as my children have either graduated, still attend and are future Panthers!!!

Posted August 27, 2009

Im currently attending Peoria High School and i think it is a wonderful school. The teachers really do care for the students and try their hardest to help my peers understand the lesson. When your a part of a sport or a club you really do feel like your a part of a family (even though thats sounds extremely corny). There are amazing electives and plenty of honors and AP classes and im blessed to be attending such a great school. PHS 2012!!!!

Posted June 20, 2009

i was going to dysart high school. it was ok, but then i moved to peoria high. there is a huge difference they have alot of elective classes, and that will help you in the future the people there are always in a good mood, the teachers are real cool there, and they are crazy when it comes to sports! and as u see the comments below peoria is a good choice of a high school

Posted May 1, 2009

I graduated from Peoria High School in 2003 and came back to observe classrooms in 2009. My experience at PHS from the fall of 1999 to the spring of 2003 was excellent. I was heavily involved in honors classes and several extra-curricular clubs. I always felt that the teachers were encouraging, although the facilities weren't in the best condition. My recent visit amazed me! The campus has morphed drastically (for the better). The new buildings must be so much nicer to have class in than what I was used to. It was good to see familiar faces and that a lot of the staff that I knew six years ago are still teaching there. That tells you a lot abou the quality of this school.

Posted March 27, 2009

This school was the best school I ever went to, but once I moved to surprise I was stuck going to Dysart high. I miss peoria. It was by far THE BEST SCHOOL IN EVERYWAY!! Especially the Rotc program. :]

Posted February 7, 2008

Excellent School, wich caring teachers and a wonderful sports program

Posted November 30, 2007

I love this school! It is the best!!!!

Posted June 12, 2007

Outstanding diverse environment. Great teachers and staff. My students all recieved a great education, were prepared for college and felt accepted and a part of Peoria Family.

Posted April 3, 2007

I graduated in 2003. I belive PHS is overall the best school that I had been to in my 12 years of schooling. I felt the staff reached out to the students on a more personal level and were interested in what they where doing out side of school as well as on the inside. Thanks to a lot of those teachers I graduated with honors after having a child in the middle of my senior year. A lot of schools would have just left me behind or sent me to another school! I would like to thank all the staff at PHS for helping me threw that. And now that my son if 4 1/2 he will be attending the PHS COOP program starting in August of 2007. Thank you Peoria!

Posted February 15, 2007

As far as sports go, I wouldn't send my children there not unless there trying out for track. Everything else is terrible and only getting worse.

Posted November 27, 2006

Since phs has begun its new building process, the actual amount of knowledge learned from both core classes and electives has gone up tremendously. Not all of the teachers are... Good teachers. Most, however, are awesome. They go the extra mile to ensure that all students are performing to the best of their abilities. My younger brother, a current freshman, will be the third phs graduate from my family, and i'm proud of that fact. The biggest negative i found with the school was the impersonality of the head staff. Some of the office staff, the vice principals, and the principal themselves are all very distant, and a large number of students have no idea who they are, because they are never out around the campus.

Posted August 14, 2006

The teachers do not help the kids in any way, even when a student pleads for help in understanding work.

Posted August 5, 2006

im a former student graduated in 2005...this school was awesome to me and 3 older brother...great interation with teacher which allowed me to do the best i could.i was always encouraged to do the right thing and get involved with different things.i absolutely love this school and want my son to go here when he gets old enough..i love peoria and still support them..

Posted May 12, 2006

The teachers work hard for the student and are very involved. The principal doesn't do a whole lot for the school, but we have enough support from the teachers, staff and parents anyways so it works out. There aren t a lot of problems with bullying. The school is very diverse. They fit everyone s needs for learning to help the student at their own rate

Posted April 23, 2006

My daughter attended PHS her freshman year. Peoria has an excellent selection of classes and programs for the kids. While she loved her classes, practiularly the photo program which was phenomanal, they are issues with disiplin within the school. An ongoing bullying situation was brought to the administrations attention and not resolved. This resulted in my withdrawing her halfway through the school year for she feared for her physical safty. We ended up sacrificing a well developed academic program for a much more limited one but her peace of mind had to come first. I did not enroll my other child in the school when he reached ninth grade.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

436 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

436 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (623) 486-6330

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Access to sports fields