Coyote Hills Elementary School

Public | K-8 & ungraded | 1247 students

Posted May 23, 2014

A child and parent approached the main office to report a valid threat from a student to stab another student. When the Principal, Vice Principle were not available the parent was told "Can it wait until tomorrow." Imagine that.! Sounds like a great school to me. My son and I are now looking to move from this crazy school. We have had problems on the bus with bullying and now to hear this... enough is enough.

Posted May 18, 2014

I have two children at Coyote Hills and couldn't be more thrilled. They are challenged academically and love going to school. Their classroom teachers communicate frequently and provide many opportunities for parent involvement. The administrators know my children by name and greet them frequently. There have been cuts in this district the last few years (change in the gifted program, less support staff, etc.) but that is a state funding issue. I think Coyote Hills does a great job considering they have fewer dollars to work with each year.

Posted September 13, 2013

Coyote hills have amazing teachers like mrs heddings mrs wage mrs demaree and mrs farrow

Posted September 12, 2013

This school is absolutely horrible i am in 8th grade and have gone here for 3 years 6th and 7th were amazing but 8th grade is horrible The science teacher honestly wastes about 15~25 minutes out of the 45 alloted telling us about his personal stories in which we gain 0 academic experience in civics the teachers is sorta border lining funny and annoying he is alright though too many jokes and Daddy/Daughter stories The Language/Reading Teacher is ok but the Math class is the absolute worth you are lucky to go 5 minutes before she sends someone outside to miss out on a whole lesson which then affects them academically. She has also got a very annoying lisp and an anger problem she is always putting us down and yelling at the majority of the class about a single problem that we all got right except a few people. I am glad for high school because I could not have survived another year their.

Posted February 10, 2013

Enrolled my child here on a varience and I am very pleased with the school, and have been since I first stepped onto campus. The front office staff is very friendly and always willing to help. The school principal personally called me about volunteering, and my child's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Bennett is remarkable! I am a teacher myself and have very high expectations about where my child goes to school and Coyote Hills has meet them in cirriculum, instruction and school policy.

Posted November 28, 2012

I feel sorry for some of the teachers are very dedicated. Others at this school I would not leave them in charge of my cat. I am sorry the Peoria School Distric supports these kind of people it is a HUGE problem as our kids are learning manipulation instead of character as the posters in the school claim to be important.

Posted November 6, 2012

Last year my oldest son had three teachers! A long term sub at the beginning while the "teacher of record" was on maternity leave from the summer. She returned in November and stayed until Christmas break never to return. Rather then bring back the original sub they hired another who changed everything. This year we noticed that each class had 34+ students. I asked Mr. Guiliford, assistant principal, if they were going to hire another teacher. He said they may. I asked him if they had a plan to not displace all those kids who had three different teachers the prior year and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. After some reminding he said that they would take that into account. I asked him to please not move my son as I did not want him to have another year with multiple teacher. Guess what... My son has his second teacher this school year along with may of the same kids and they knew about it before we did because Guiliford's son told them. It's easy to say just switch schools, but this is my neighborhood school and my kids have friends here. It's not right to just pick them up and move them. What responsibility does the school have?

Posted March 8, 2012

I have two children in this school in 1st and 3rd grade. They both LOVE their teachers. So far, I have no complaints. I feel they are where they are supposed to be academically. I love the fact that the teachers want you to be involved and have no problem having you in class. I have met some wonderful parents here too. Until we have a problem, I will support this school. Yes, some of the staff isn't very friendly, but you will run into that wherever you go. The principles and the majority of the staff are very friendly and if you are pleasent with them, they will help you out in any way. If you don't like the school, then change schools. That's the nice thing about open enrollment. You have options. I hope the people who are complaining about Coyote Hills find a good school for your children and I sincerely mean that. We will stay and support this school until there is a problem. Hopefully, that will not happen. Thank you to all the great teachers we have had since we've beent here!

Posted March 8, 2012

7 Years at this school. It's been a rough 7 years! Thrilled to be moving on!!

Posted March 7, 2012

Notice how the teachers give it a 5 star to offset the parents & students 1 star! They deserve a 1 star if that!!! Procedures may be in place, but are not followed!!! Bunch of hormonal women run this school!

Posted March 7, 2012

Horrible! From 2nd to 8th grade I endured this staff's rude behavior. There is some serioulsy manipluative staff here! I agree, get out when you can!

Posted January 24, 2012

My daughter has been going to this school for 5 years now. She is now in 4th grade and has been going since kindergarten. I dont beleive there are really any great things about this school that make it special or stand out in any way. My daughter has been lucky enough to get 2 fantastic teachers, 2 ok teachers, and 1 horrible teacher. I have had discussions with the Vice-Principal on how some of the staff there treat the children. There is an employee that is in the lunch room at lunch time that is horrible with the kids, yells at them and speaks down to them. I have complained about her. There is another staff member there that treats the children and parents badly. I think they staff forgets that it is our tax ollars that pay their salary, and with open enrollment, we really have the opportunity to send our kids to any school. I think they need to step it up when it comes to the way they treat our children and the way they talk to our children. I have complained about this to them before, and have no problem with doing it again. Just like the staff and teachers want to be treated with respect, I want MY child treated with respect.

Posted January 18, 2012

Coyote Hills is run by a very small group of girls (brats) and their parents, forget the administration. If your child is not one of the group you can forget help at the office. Of course the administrationj will say they investigate but not so unless of the parents of the girls. Disciplinbe of students who disrupt is none existent. All they need to do is make something up about the teacher to put the blame on the teacher. Great teachers, terrible adfministration.

Posted May 3, 2011

Coyote Hills has a procedure in place to help document and combat bullying. If you feel that there are repeated negative actions from a child / a group to your child, then go to the website and download a bullying incident form or get one from the front office. Describe what is going on, with whom and when. The situation will be investigated and there will be a record of your concern, as well. If it doesn't seem like it helped, do it again. Staff can't do anything if they don't know what is going on, and sometimes teachers don't realize the severity of something when they are told during teaching time, or coming back to lunch with a whole grade level of kids, etc. Peoria as a district has a common K-8 dismissal for all elementary schools. At Coyote Hills, there are 2 different parent pick-ups at different sides of the school for K-4 kids and 5-8 kids. K-3 kids should either already be on the bus or be in the front of the line waiting for their bus to keep them closer to staff members.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 1, 2011

My daughter was bullied at this school and the safety of students at a K-8 common dismissal was a huge concern for me.

Posted November 28, 2010

I would notify the school district in regards to her attitude. What amazes me is they seem to forget WHO is PAYING their salaries. I am so disgusted with with the Peoria School District that I no longer vote yes on ANYTHING they want and I no longer write them a check at the end of the year.

Posted May 8, 2010

There is a tremendous amount of bullying at Coyote Hills as students enter 6th-8th grade. I'm in 7th grade and I've already had 2 kids suspended for asking sexual questions. Not proud of it, (at least we're friends now!) but yeah, it had to be reported to a teacher. We had 3 fights in one day. Parents.....watch out as your student begins 6th grade.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 25, 2010

Six years too many, do not bring your child to this school.

Posted November 7, 2009

I can't say enough good things about this school. My son started kindergarten there this year. His teacher is amazing and so accommodating. She's so easy to contact when we have questions. We just love her!

Posted September 8, 2009

This has great school. Coyote Hills have had very caring and compassionate teachers. my children have been going to this school for 3 years and I am very pleased with all the staff.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 15%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

21180 North 87th Avenue